Windows 7 W10 Tray Icon

DennB

No Icon has appeared. I have a legit OS of W7 Pro, with all the latest updates including the one necessary to get the Icon. I have tried everything that has been posted including the command prompt route and nothing works. Is it that I will not be able to use W10? Is there a way to test this now? Do I just have to wait till July 29th and will I be able to at that time? This is only on my desktop. My laptop has W7 Home and the Icon appeared. Both receive auto updates. Any help, suggestions and answers will be greatly appreciated.

Hello DennB and welcome to the forum.
Very good question. I just caught up all the updates on my wife's Windows 7 Pro machine upstairs and like you have no means, by way of system tray icon to reserve her a copy of Windows 10.
I checked..... the update that is suppose to support the feature is installed. The scheduled task is in place and the GWX folder and associated files is in the Windows\System32 folder.
Not sure what's the problem is... maybe someone else will know.

Thanks Ross.
I went through that, including the associated links and nothing in there helped.
It did finally appear on my wife's computer today.
Must have taken a couple reboots perhaps even a cold boot or two, not sure.
But now it's done and her free update is reserved.
Not sure how I'm going to explain that to her though. I'll use the next couple months preparing some elaborate explanation.

If it helps, here's my system
Dell XPS 8500
intel i7-3770
24GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870

Thanks for suggestions.
Still no luck with any of the stuff Microsoft has suggested!

Have you shut down the system completely ( cold booted) yet?
I can't say what exactly helped in my particular case, but the notification Icon did finally show up on my wife's Windows 7 Pro system.

Nope, nothing today. Oh well, I am satisfied with W7. Will wait to get W10 when I buy a new surface pro later this Fall.

Back
Top Bottom