Windows 7 WiFi won't stay enabled.

jtpcamp

Extraordinary Member
I have an Asus X53E Laptop running Win 7 Home x 64 that is a year and a half old. I did not until a few days ago have a wireless router. I always use Ethernet and didn't care to much about wireless until now. I have noticed in the past that a later Intel Wireless driver update would keep the WiFi from enabling at all so I rolled the driver back to one that would stay enabled.

Now that I have a WiFi router I started using it to connect. Everything is set up and works just fine till I reboot. Every time I reboot or boot my computer The WiFi is off even though I have the option checked to enable WiFi every time the system starts. When I enable it a box pops in asking if I want to enable the Radio, I click yes and it all works normally till next system start and I have to do it all again, every time.

Why? and how do I get it all to work normally at system start?

I would appreciate any help/advice from anyone.
Thanks,
Jim

Use device manager and check the properties of your wireless network adapter.
Look under the advanced tab and see if you have anything there as depicted in the image I've attached to this post.
If so, select it and use the drop down arrow to see what your options might be.

Attachments

• RaLinkRadioOff.png
    RaLinkRadioOff.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 586
My laptop does not offer that option. See attached photos as I had to scroll down to get all options.

Attachments

• Network Adaptor 1.png
    Network Adaptor 1.png
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 568
  • Network Adaptor 2.png
    Network Adaptor 2.png
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 433
  • Do you actually have two wifi adapters and if so, why and what are they?
  • Do you know what radio the message refers to (is it a feature associated with your adapter or software that came with it)?
  • What was the source of the drivers you installed (did you let Windows pick the driver, did you install it from a CD that came with your device, did you select and download it from the manufacturer's web site)?

Actually I have 4 adapters that are listed.
No I do not know what radio the message refers to but I cannot find Radio listed anywhere except the pop up message.
The drivers and software that are installed are the latest package directly from Intel. I am working with Intel Support to fix this problem but as of now it is not fixed. I do have one possible solution from them that I have not tried yet.
If this fixes the issue I will post here.

Thanks

I'm curious why you would need four (or two) wifi adapters unless you are doing something unusual like running multiple separate networks concurrently. Just wondering if they might be tripping over each other. You could try removing all but one and see if that fixes your problem.

One Ethernet, one wireless, One VPN and one I don't know what but I have disabled all but the wireless but I still had to manually enable wireless on restart. Now all are enabled except of the extra one. Disabled not removed. That one is I think leftover from a free Virtual Router program I had installed for a while but its gone now.

Now all are enabled except of the extra one. Disabled not removed. That one is I think leftover from a free Virtual Router program I had installed for a while but its gone now.
Your screen shots show two virtual wifi miniport adapters. If there is only one VPN, you should only see one in the Device Manager. It may not be coincidental that you are having wifi problems and the Device Manager shows an incorrect listing for VPN via wifi. Try removing the wifi adapter (if it is built-in, you won't be able to, but you might be able to disable it in the device manager). See if both VPN entries disappear. If not, delete both. Then reboot, reinstall or re-enable the adapter, and re-configure the VPN.

Intel support found the answer. There were two wireless consoles starting with Windows, One the Intel and one from Asus.
All I had to do was disable the Asus one from starting and now WiFi starts when I boot. :)

How do you show a thread as solved? I can not find a way.

Great news. Thanks for coming back and updating your thread with your solution.
As far as marking a thread solved.....
Not sure it's supported on this forum or not.
Regards
Randy

There should be a button for closing a thread or if someone's answer solves a problem to mark it solved.

Back
Top Bottom