Windows 7 Win 7 bsod

Do you mean you've tried the stick in a different system and it was ok? If so, what os was it running?

Sorry, for being confusing. I have two I7 920s at home amongst other things. One is my workstation with the famous Gigabyte mobo and the other has an Asus Rampage II. They are almost identical except the case on the other one is antec 1200 mine is 902, RAMS on the other are 1600 trident cl6 from g-skill,mine are 1333 CL7 G-SKILL, I got CFX 4890s the other CFX 5870s and the same wireless N usb Netgear stick. So, I got two USB draft N sticks. On mine, the BSOD was caused by the netgear driver as seen in the dump. The other system has no issues like this. I even swapped the rams and used the cl6 ones in my system and the BSOD was still there. So bottom line, identical Atheros drivers on the two computers, mine was giving bsod and the other was working fine. I downloaded a netgear update and for the moment things seem to be working fine.

I am also an idiot because in the action center it said that an USB device has given a BSOD but I was the IT GURU and spent 10 mins going thru the dump :D. I amaze myself sometimes ... I wonder how I don't get lost in my house

lol.. I'm always doing stuff like that... Glad to hear things are going better. :)

Hey lads, another update on my issue. I fixed the BSOD, havent had one for some time **cue happydance** BUT my W7 x64 Ultimate refuses to reset and shutdown on its own :mad:. There is something that makes it hang and I cannot identify it. When I reboot, I need to use the hard reset button, when I shut down I need to hold the power button until it goes to lala land. It is driving me crazy. I cannot make this computer work ...

C:\Users\ervin>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Users\ervin>

I give up :(:(. I tried every solution out there .... Formatting is not an option at the moment.

I give up :(:(. I tried every solution out there .... Formatting is not an option at the moment.

You have run the diags that are listed at the link in my tagline to IDENTIFY a problem? I would be inclined to think hardware/driver is hanging.

What about the bios? I know you said you were using a 'beta bios', perhaps it might be worth going back to one that isn't beta?
I tried having a look for you but without knowing your exact motherboard I didn't really want to post anything I found..
Could you please list which one it is?

I have the Gigabyte UD3R X58. I tried with all the available BIOS versions on the Gigabyte website : FA, FB, FD7. Kind of ironic, I fix the BSOD but I don't fix the shutdown issue. The BSOD was due to my Netgear draft N key, the shutdown issue could be from my X-FI Titanium. I found a few topics on the creative website where people are having the same issue and it is related to the DTS Codec Pack from creative.

The problem is, I need that codec pack and I want to be sure that it is that before I uninstall it :(. In safemode, my PC shutsdown 10/10. Same with reboot, so as you guys said, it is a driver/software issue. I've ran all the windows diagnostic tools and it reported that the only software slowing down startup and shutdown is my bitdefender anti-virus. Weird thing is that on the other system, which is almost identical, I have the same OS, same software, no Titanium tho but X-FI MOBO. So that one, with Bitdefender being, again the software slowing the PC down, shuts down and restarts without any problem.

Creative have been the source of much pain to many people before now... Is there nothing else you could use in it's place?

I backed up my system and decided to format. I tried every step recommended .... I have to start from scratch and eliminate the driver. Will put OS, will see if it shuts down and reboots. Will add the mobo ... see if shuts down. Will add one by one until I figure it out.

I click shutdown computer and then come back 10 minutes later and the thing is still "shutting down". Geez!!!! :razz:

It took 20 formats and extensive troubleshooting from cpu, memtest, hd tune and other hardware tools to find out that my W7 machine was refusing to reboot or to shut down because of... CREATIVE DTS!!! These guys are simply unbelievable. Apart from the fact that I was forced to box my Audigy Platinum EX because Creative dropped support for older cards these guys have the audacity to release drivers that make your os hang. I even RMA-ed my RAMS because I thought they were broken!!!

Well done though in tracking it down... Sometimes there's no other way and it's such a ball breaking task at times.. So once again, well done man! So what do you plan to do now? Do you have an onboard system you could use as a stopgap?

Once again, cheers for the support and patience. Sometimes I wish I would know only how to turn on my PC and browse the web with 20 million toolbars installed on IE8 :). I do not know what I will do but for the moment I am waiting for an e-mail with a solution. I opened a ticket with Creative. We will see how it goes.

I know that checking the Creative forums can sometimes help.. That guy 'Daniel K' reworks the existing drivers into ones that work, perhaps he's worked on the ones you use?

Back