Windows 7 Windows 7 won't shut down - help!

Daniel Polwarth

Windows 7 shuts down, but does not power off. ASUS P5B board to blame?

Just installed Windows 7 RC1. I have a dual boot system with XP and Win7.

I can't seem to shut down Windows 7. I tell it to shut down, it goes through all the shutdown processes happily, it blanks my monitor, but the disks whir down but the machine does not stop. Nothing actually powers down.

I've tried messing around in the BIOS, uninstalling unnecessary stuff, but nothing seems to help. All I have on are my sound drivers (soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro), graphics card (Nvidia 8800GTS), and Office 2007. I also have some Syncrosoft drivers installed for my audio dongle, too. Everything else has gone.

Has anyone else had this problem? I should point out that WinXP works fine, and WinVista (which I've deleted and overwritten with Win7) never had any problems,

I've taken off my antivirus software, too, but that hasn't helped.

Last edited:
I think I may have found the cause, but not the solution.

People with ASUS P5B motherboards, or variants of this board, have said that they have had the same problem in Windows 7. I have a P5B myself, and the symptoms are all identical: the machine seems to power down, except that the fans keep spinning and the lights stay on.

I have the latest non-Beta BIOS for the board.

If anyone out there has a P5B variant please let me know what you've experienced with your board and windows 7. Has anyone actually not got this problem with a P5B? If so, what are your BIOS settings?

Thanks,

Dan

The annoying thing is that I'm not sure ASUS are aware of it. I should probably report the issue to them, but I'm no technical expert. I've also heard they won't support Windows 7 until it comes out as a final retail product, which means we have to rely on Microsoft to fix this issue for the time being.

I know there's a Beta BIOS out there for the P5B boards - has anyone installed that? Does it solve the problem?

It too have the same problem and use P5B Asus m/b

It too have the same problem and use P5B Asus m/b
Please let me know if anyone finds a solution.

I've got this exact same problem. Except I have an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. So it looks like it's not only limited to P5B boards. But it seems Asus generally might have an issue.

Same here, ASUS mobo... slightly different model.

Ive got an P5ND2-SLI and it's exactly the same outcome. Cannot shutdown, cannot restart, cannot sleep. The indignity - I have to actually physically move myself over in front of the little round pushy in thing (before people had remotes these things were referred to as power buttons...) and hold it in till the beast stops purring...

Asus M3N78-EM

Asus M3N78-EM does the same! Or allmost. When pressin Shutdown button. Windows loggs off and freezes at the "Shutting Down" screen.
Sometimes it give's blue screen after few minutes. It complains something about USB driver...

Windows is 7 RC buit 7100.

P5B-E Same problem here....

P5B-E and Windows 7 RTM. No power-down. Dual boot with Vista Ultimate and Vista shuts down fine. Windows 7 has always done this for me on this motherboard only. All other systems I have running Windows 7 shut down properly... I will find a fix for this.

Just throwing it out there I have asus p5n32-e sli no problems here.

Does these help at all? Run them in Run.
Code:
shutdown -r -t 02
shutdown -s -t 02

P5B and others FIXED!! FIXED!! FIXED!!

OK. I found the fix. It just took some more searching online. I found this post in a post copiedaround the Internet. I only take credit for the last BIOS change I found on my own....

• Click “Startâ€Â￾, on “Computerâ€Â￾ click right mouse button and select “Propertiesâ€Â￾, click “Device Managerâ€Â￾

• Find the item labeled “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllersâ€Â￾ and expand this group.

• This group only contains one device: “VIA 1394 OHCI Compilant Host Controllerâ€Â￾

• Right click this item and select “Propertiesâ€Â￾, select “Power Managementâ€Â￾ tab, and finally check the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save powerâ€Â￾.
After that the computer should power down normally.

• IF you can't find the VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller in Device Manager (like me), do the following step- Reboot and go into the BIOS. The IEEE 1394 Controller is Enabled in there. Disable it, save BIOS settings and reboot into Windows7. Now the VIA 1394 Controller shows up in the Device Manager!! Isn't that backwards? Weird.
Let me know how that goes.

I have Windows 7 RTM 64bit Ultimate Edition, so if you have a slightly different build, you may have different results. I suggest you try this either way. Good luck

Last edited:
It works! I've got P5B-E and the problem highlighted above, and after checking the needed field in the "Power management" tab my computer shutdowned correctly. Thanks for the solution)

Link Removed due to 404 Errori have same board and it doesnt work, my administrator accound is enabled and when i click properties for this device there is no such thing as power tab.
Bios is up to date no helping.
W7 32 build 7600

Last edited:
my bios ver. is 1807 (check your ver. up here ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Download -> Vista -> BIOS)

if it's ok, may be you should try turning this device off completely (BIOS -> Onboard device configuration -> IEEE 1394 -> Disable (if i'm not mistaking)

if you aren't using it then it'll be the best way out

i had latest version for my board but still ran update and not sure if i get same result because shitdown doesnt get stuck every time, its random

Solution worked for me

I have a P5B-E motherboard and was experiencing the same issues after my fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I change the power setting for the IEEE1394 to allow it to be powered off and, all fixed for me thanks.

:p

I have an Asus P5E3 board w\ a dual XP boot system as well, I can rarely ever shut down Win 7 w\o cutting the power. My sound quits working constantly as well, until rebooting.

This OS is beginning to appear as bad as Millenium.

:mad:

That is the fix

I've got P5B-E and the problem highlighted above, and after checking the needed field in the "Power management" tab my computer shutdowned correctly. i plan on passing this around and multiple sites and not one had a solution close to this. THx
:D :D :D :D

Back