Windows 7 Windows Aero not working

xgio6x

OK, so i installed Windows 7, and everything was working fine. (Including the option for Aero) Then I decided I wanted to just re-install and start fresh, where it doesn't keep all your programs and settings. So, i re-installed Windows 7, and used the custom installation, where it doesn't keep all your programs and settings. The installation went fine, but when I tried to change the Windows Color I could only choose basic. I ran the troubleshooter, and it gave me this error message:

The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver.

This doesn't make sense to me, if this was working fine before, then why is it not working now?

I've tried updating my driver, it says it is up to date.

I've downloaded the latest windows updates.

It is not a hardware problem, because I have not changed any hardware what so ever since i even bought the computer (years ago)

:confused: ...

Any help to fix this problem is appreciated, for this bright light blue task bar is blinding me. lol..

What is the exact make and model of your your card?

Did you perform a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Could you please fill in your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left hand side of the page.

Then click Edit Your Details.

This freeware program will give you all the information you will need:

SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.03

Go to Start > Search Files and folders,. and type fix problems

Choose fix problems with transparency and visual effects.

This will start the Areo trouble-shooter.

At first, I chose to upgrade (From Windows Vista), everything worked fine. On the second installation, i chose to do a clean install, then Aero was not working, and it was telling me to upgrade the driver for my video card.

I posted up the specs for my laptop the best i could, i'll list them here anyways:

Manufacturer/Make: HP dv6700

CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T81

Motherboard (Not too sure about this one?): Intel 965PM

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce Go 8400M GS

Hard Drive (This one either) : 250 GB

This restored aero for me:

Click "Start" and type and enter "ap" to enter the appearance menu. Click "best performance" then go back
to "Let Windows choose.."

I already ran the Aero troubleshooter, and it gave me this message:

Update the driver for your video card

The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver.

@ tblount - I tried it, didn't work for me, thanks though. =)

It seems as though you'll need to buy a new video card.

I never trusteed Microsoft's minimum requirements. You really need a nid-range to high-end video card to get true performance.

That doesn't make any sense, i haven't changed the hardware on my laptop since i bought it, and Aero worked fine before i did a clean install the second time i installed Windows 7. Oh well, :frown: i can't buy a new video card right now, thanks for the help though.

Back