Windows 7 Windows is stating that I am not connected to the Internet, when in fact I do have Internet.

desicions

Hello,

When I connect to my own router, I get this:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

But when I connect to my neighbour's router, I get:
*Notice the different icons

PS.
I do have permission to connect to this router.

I have Internet on both, my and neighbour's routers.

I'm using Windows-7 Home Premium.

My Network and Sharing Center is also stating that I'm not connected to any networks.

Help please!!

I tried:
- Updating drivers
- Updating win-7
- Doing a system restore
- Resetting Winsock entries to installation defaults
- Resetting IPv6 and IPv4 TCP/IP stacks to installation defaults

Best regards,

Desicions.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
First, can we assume, for the purposes of this discussion that you have your neighbor's permission to use his router? Unauthorized use of someone's wireless service is in many places considered immoral if not illegal and may constitute theft of service and we neither condone nor support any such activity.
You should probably take your neighbor's router out of the equation by deleting that wireless profile and concentrate on resolving the issue with you own personal equipment.
My first question would be, have you defined the properties of your wireless connection as private and either home or work, rather that public?
If not resolve that at your first opportunity.
Second try disabling IPv6 by unchecking the box in the properties of your wireless adapter.
Third, I noticed the VPN, double check that and determine if, within the properties, you have it configured to use the Default Gateway on the remote network. If so try unchecking that and see if that helps with the issue.
Regards
Randy

Can try the following:
>> Uninstall Net Adapters & Reboot
>> @ the same time Power Cycle both the modem & the Router... repower the modem 1st.
>> check for Firmware updates for the Router.

Check ipconfig to see that it is actually pulling the router's address; should start 192 not, 169

Cheers,
Drew

Can you people be more specific, please?
When you tell me to "define the properties of your wireless connection as private", I have no idea where the heck it is.

Means should be "Secure" or 'locked down' so others cannot use or access it... like you could your neighbour's.

AND

In Network & Sharing Centre your LAN should be set to either Home or Work not, Public.

Just ask more if this is not yet clear enough.

Regards,
Drew

Since it's tough for me w/out being hands-on & you're not too sure where things are or what they mean, I would suggest calling the 1-800 # for the router's Help Desk.

GL

Drew

Seems the question Trouble was raising, about the VPN, may be involved. You can get strange information if you have two network adapters (Wireless & VPN) trying to connect and one is not connecting.

If you would, open the Network Connections (Adapters) Dialog window and see how many adapters are listed. If you could right click and disable all but the Wi-Fi, it might help. After testing, re-enable the ones you are using.

To open the window, use the Winkey and type ncpa.cpl

PS.
- I'm not from US, so calling 1-800 will cost alot.
- I know what secure means, I don't know where I'm suppose to look for it.

To set the security go the router's web site

Open a browser & put in 192.168.0.1 the last may not be .0.1 If doesn't work try .1.1 can vary depending on the brand. Manual will say.

& unless I'm really confused here, the connection of interest is the 1 using the Broadcom 802.11n Net adapter & it looks healthy.

Have you tried uninstalling that adapter, power cycling the modem & router & rebooting?

Drew

I really dont think it's modem/router's fault.
I think that it's my windows-7 being glitched, since everything's fine on my other laptop.
Guess, I have no other option, than to re-install my os, oh well, thank you for all your help.

Regards,
Desicions.

That's a lot of work to fix internet connection issues. If you repeat whatever you done that caused this (connecting to an outside network), and especially if you selected to automatically connect to this network when available, it's going to do it again.

Looking back at those pictures you showed, with that warning sign (the exclamation point), that network is unsecured. For your safety, it's best to stay off these type of connections. Any number of users can be on it, all it takes is for 1 to be infected, to infect other users, plus the host user of the network.

If Windows is reporting that you're connected to the internet, you can simply disable the adapter, whether it be wired or wireless. Simply open the Network center (right click onto the icon), & disable the one that's connected. As far as the name of your topic, that's the answer, to disable the adapter. I do it all of the time when I'm doing a virus scan that may take a while.

You can also delete profiles while there. Deleting the profile will stop the automatic connection. No need to reinstall an OS over that.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom