Windows 7 Wireless Network Keeps Dropping Connection

bystander

Acer Aspire 7745 Notebook (purchased 10/25/2010)
Win 7 HP 64-bit (build 7600) (last update 11/11/2010)
Broadcom 802.11n Wireless Adapter (5.60.48.35)

Since the last update, the wireless network keeps dropping its connection randomly. Windows Network Diagnostics says it can't connect. Status shows limited connection. Manual disconnect and re-connect says "Not in range" although it shows in the available networks with strong signal. Disable and re-enable causes the entire system to lock up and I have to power down. The only reliable way to reestablish a connection is to reboot or wait some random amount of time until the system decides to recognize the wireless network again.

bystander:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Check to see if a recent driver update might have added a feature to the network adapter properties (advanced tab I think) called "Device Sleep on Disconnect", if it's there select it and in the right column choose to disable it and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Don't have that in my Advanced tab, but that property (under Power Management) has already been disabled with no obvious effect.

More Information: I am connected to a 2WIRE 2701HG-B Gateway on a 802.11g wireless network with DHCP. Two other systems running 802.11g are working fine.

Last edited:
Assuming that your current problem is as you have indicated a possible product of Windows Update, and that prior to this the wireless device was working flawlessly then perhaps rolling back the driver update might be a potential solution if that option is available to you.
Otherwise download the driver from Acer (If you don't have it on CD/DVD) and force your own driver update through device manager.
Keep us posted.

No rollback available on device driver. The latest driver is the OEM install.
Never the less, I downloaded and reinstalled the driver from Acer. No help.
Problem still exists. I don't really think the updates are the problem.

Speccy system specs attached. The last updates are as follows:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 System (KB2289158)

Installation date: ‎11/‎11/‎2010 6:53 AM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in the 2007 Microsoft Office System and the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system that could allow remote code execution. This update resolves that vulnerability.

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2289161), 32-Bit Edition

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office 2010, 32-Bit Edition that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (KB2413381)

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - November 2010 (KB890830)

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726), 32-Bit Edition

Installation date: ‎11/‎11/‎2010 6:50 AM

This update provides the latest junk email and malicious links filter definitions for Microsoft Office 2010, 32-Bit Edition.

View attachment ACER7745.txt

Looks like the 2wire is running WEP you might want to experiement with WPA or WPA2 and see if either produces better results.
Consider any third party software firewalls, anti-virus products, bonjour service, etc. Check taskmanager and see if mdnsresponder is running under the processes tab. Use the vendor specific proprieitary uninstaller to remove the software (download it from their website) and any remnants leftover from a standard uninstall, using the control panel applet to remove these things doesn't seem to get everything during the process. You can re-install them later if they prove not to be an issue or choose a free alternative like Link Removed due to 404 Error which doesn't seem to cause any such issues.
Consider booting the pc into safemode with networking and see if the problem persists. If the problem doesn't seem to present in safemode with networking then this might indicate an issue with a startup program process or service that might be causing the issue.
An of course check the manufacturer's website for a driver update for the adapter if available. I would also recommend a firmware update for the router, but since it's a 2wire, that's probably not going to happen.

Don't see any mDNSresponder running. I am running AT&T Internet Security Suite (McAfee Security Center) which is free from att.net and includes firewall, ant-virus, and anti-spyware. The software is running on two other laptops (both XP, running 802.11g wireless) without a problem.

Safe mode concerns me as it disables my firewall and antivirus. I could be running for a long time before problem occurs. I don't like being naked on the internet. Does MSE run in safe mode?

I have checked for updates from 2wire, and you are correct, none are available. But I don't think that's an issue because there are two other laptops connected without problems (x32 XP SP3 (Compaq), and x32 XP Pro SP3 (Dell), both 802.11g).

Could there be a problem with 802.11n on a 802.11g network? Is there a way to disable 802.11n and force 802.11a/b/g?

Last edited:
Could there be a problem with 802.11n on a 802.11g network? Is there a way to disable 802.11n and force 802.11a/b/g?
I suppose that that is possible. Whether or not you can set or adjust that particular property would be dependent upon the feature set included with the driver that you are currently using. Poke around a bit into the properties of the network adapter using the "Configure" button and the various tabs it presents, probably somewhere under "Advanced", typically the mode would be configured automatically and given whats happened, with no recent driver updates I'm not sure how that would have changed on you, but it's worth looking into.
I would rather have thought that a recent software update, perhaps from your AV / Firewall vendor would be a more likely culprit.
I don't want to go down the road of bashing various brands of antivirus. I will only suggest that often when these types of problems seem to pop up out of nowhere it will sometimes be caused by updates to these packages. Especially the more robust complex ones. I won't say that McAfee leads the pack, I believe that certain Symantec/Norton offerings hold that distinction, I am only offering this as a potential avenue to explore and consider.

Since the last update, the wireless network keeps dropping its connection randomly. Windows Network Diagnostics says it can't connect. Status shows limited connection. Manual disconnect and re-connect says "Not in range" although it shows in the available networks with strong signal. Disable and re-enable causes the entire system to lock up and I have to power down. The only reliable way to reestablish a connection is to reboot or wait some random amount of time until the system decides to recognize the wireless network again.

Hmmm. I have the same computer with the same adapter and the identical problem, but running driver 5.60.350.6. I just updated by driver from 5.60.350.6 to 5.60.48.35, which is what you have, to try to solve this problem. I will keep my fingers crossed that it does, but from what you are experiencing it may not.

I also made one other change I saw suggested on another forum. In the device manager, I unchecked (said no to) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Will report if I go awhile without hanging.

I also made one other change I saw suggested on another forum. In the device manager, I unchecked (said no to) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Will report if I go awhile without hanging.

Sorry to say I dropped the connection again about an hour ago. So the two changes above (driver upgrade, remove the power off for the network adapter) did not solve the problem.

Sorry to say I dropped the connection again about an hour ago. So the two changes above (driver upgrade, remove the power off for the network adapter) did not solve the problem.

I have the same problem. I did an internet chat with ACER technical support. They wanted me to do a system recovery which is like killing a mosquito with a bazooka, and which would put me out of business for a week before I could get all my programs and files properly reinstalled.

They insisted that I was the first to report this problem, which is one reason they gave for giving me the runaround. Have you reported this? If not, please do. They need to hear this from others. I was told if they heard from more than just me, they would escalate this through their whole technical support team.

I am experiencing the same issue after allowing Windows Update to add KB890830. My wireless was working flawless - I am at home approximately 6 ft from my WAP - and since the update it drops randomly as often as once every two or three minutes. After repeated attempts to reconnect, it usually does.

Back
Top Bottom