Windows 7 Won't Boot from DVD to install

Karkas

This is intended as a dual boot, but this darn thing jsut wont boot from the DVD to install...

I looked for another with the same problem, but it seems like no one has gone as far as I have.

I have burned 2 different .iso's from different DL sources(1 was microsoft), tried changing to a .img, unpacked the .iso and burned individual files.

Yes, my boot priority is set to DVD 1st.

I tried my XP install disk and it boots to it just fine.

System specs:
CPU= Q9450 @3.6ghz
Mobo=Asus p5q-pro
RAM=4gigs OCZ DDR2 1066
HDD= WD 640GB w/ new partition
GPU= ATI HD 4850
Lite On DVD drive w/ Verbatim DVDs

Let me know if I left anything else out...

Thanks in advance, I have a feeling I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't seem to see it.

Last edited:
same here. The thing is I downloaded it a few times, used a diff. hard drive and dvd burner and tried to install several times. After copying files when it went to expanding files it sat there for a while and said error something about missing files. and then on the second disc I burnt it would only go to 36% and the same message came up. I know for a fact the specs on my machine are more than qualified to run windows 7, does anyone know if you can order a copy from microsoft? thanks for the help.

Try going into xp and expanding the files into a folder and launching the installer from within XP. It should work the same.

Try going into xp and expanding the files into a folder and launching the installer from within XP. It should work the same.

When I insert the disk in XP and allow it to auto run it errors and tells me to boot from it to install.

I try to run setup.exe and it errors and tells me its not a valid win32 application (it tells me this if I try to launch from the DVD or my desktop).

Im sorry i wasnt clear enough. I meant take the iso that you didnt burn to a disc and expand it from within XP using 7-zip. then run the setup from there.

Im sorry i wasnt clear enough. I meant take the iso that you didnt burn to a disc and expand it from within XP using 7-zip. then run the setup from there.

Oh, you were clear... I had the files already extracted to another DVD and on my desktop with 1 of my previous DLs.

I just extracted the genuine microsoft .iso to my desktop using winRAR and got the same result ("not a valid win32 application").

I've gotta get to bed, if anyone can think of something else, Ill try it in the morning.... please post up any other suggestions

Thanks for trying to help guys!

Last edited:
it gives you the error not a valid windows 32 application because you are trying to install the 64 bit version using a 32 bit operating system. Is your computer capable of running a 64 bit OS?

I read in another forum that machines with alot of ram have booting problems. I have 2 GB 667 mhz and had no problems?

Karkas are you currently running windows xp 32 bit os? Have you tried making a bootable USB drive?

Karkas are you currently running windows xp 32 bit os? Have you tried making a bootable USB drive?

yes, I'm running 32 bit xp...

I'll have to give the bootable USB a try. Never done it before... I guess just extract the files from the .ISO to my thumb drive, change bios boot order?

Tons of boot problems...

I did a quick install of xp 64 bit leaving 1/2 my hard drive unallocated for win 7. Tryed installing 7 to unallocated, but dvd was unrecognizable.Thought maybe it was the brand of dvd i burned it on so i tryed different brand..same result. The DVD burner /ROM in the desired pc was NEC. My only option was to install over the xp partition because when I popped the dvd in with xp running, it finally recognized it. So I installed over xp....go to the point where it was probably 95% completed and got BSOD. Tryed reinstalling xp and got some "APIC" error (it prevented me reinstalling xp...I think this will be the case trying to go backwards). So I did a quick install of Vista...it worked. Tryed reinstalling 7 over vista and got BSOD. Turned out that & didn't like one of the AMP brand sticks of RAM i was using. Once it was removed, 7 blazed through installation, and all is good for now.
So if you really want it, find a pc you dont like, and write over the current OS...good luck

OK, finally got a chance to try installing win7 again. I tried booting from USB flash drive and no go. 1st I extracted the files from 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.iso to the drive and tried to boot.... got some message like no boot media blah blah blah. So then I even tried leaving it as a .iso (not extracting) and still got same message. This was tried from a USB flash drive.

Can someone just clarify if I am doing something wrong? All I should have to do is 1st DL 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.iso, 2nd burn 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.iso to a DVD using a program like burn for free, 3rd reboot computer & change boot order to CD/DVD drive, 4th hit any key when it prompts to boot from DVD and then resume install.

AM I right in my thinking or am I just overlooking something stupid?

I have even tried my .iso and extracted .iso DVD on a 2nd computer and it doesn;t recognize that it should boot to the installer from it.... completely ignores it.

first of all...

are you burning image? if you are it seems to be common that the DVD won't install, maybe the media you chose to burn it to, or the dvd/rw you chose to burn it from. I had same issue, I chose to do a quick install over XP. One way to see if the DVD is good is to run it through another OS. You can always back out before it fully installs. Another issue I had was with one particualr brand (or size difference) of RAM. So it seems to me from what Ive read, win 7 seems to be picking and choosing which hardware it wants to associate with. Nothing wrong with that if it was documented. Check to see if its the media you chose first, maybe it might be as simple as a different brand of dvd.

While I did try it as .IMG once, the rest of my attempts have been to simply burn the .ISO or extract the .ISO to it's individual files and burn those...

I'm skeptical it's the media it's a verbatim DVD-r which is 2nd only to TY

Been having the same issues. I'm currently running 32bit XP and 32bit 7(RC) on a 64 bit dual core system. I only get the "Invalid Win32 application" error. I have tried everything mentioned here.
I kind of suspected something like this was gonna happen. I should have waited a couple months.

I had to make a copy of the orginal DVD and make an ISO, then burned the ISO at 8X speed and it is now working. Thanks dudes

Back