Windows 7 X-64 Build 7048 -- Windows Experience Index problem and Other probs FIXED

jimbo45

Hi guys
Finally "Sussed out" the WEI problem.

On a Laptop you must download the INTEL media graphics accelerator gor your laptop (in my case the GM 965 chip). You must also download the correct chipset driver (in my case the ICH8 stuff).

Ignore the install message saying that the installed driver (Microsoft one) is a newer version that the one currently installed -- you need the INTEL drivers.

You can tell if you've got the intel drivers by looking for the little icon Intel (R) graphics media accelerator driver for mobile.

Everything now works fine including the "hang" in control panel etc etc.

Ensure you have the correct chipset and video drivers even if the Windows "pre-configured" one appears to be OK.

Cheers

jimbo

en ,i see ,and the 32-bit also in trouble

Not sure what you mean here -- but as far as 32 bit version is concerned I haven't tested it -- I've now finished with the 32 bit OS'es -- even my main computer is running Windows XP Pro 64 bit version.

I did some initial testing of the 32 bit version when windows 7 appeared just to try out both versions -- but unless you are running on a netbook most machines have 64 bit processors and even a cheap laptop can usually be upgraded to 4GB RAM so long as it has 2 memory slots.

With 4GB or more (some even say with 3GB or more but I'm not sure on that one) you are better off using a 64 bit OS unless your applications simply won't work on it. Recent hardware shouldn't be a problem --but watch the Video and chipset drivers.

Cheers
jimbo

Back