Windows 7 Xbox 360 to laptop connection problems

Alex Barrera

Hi, for the past year or so, I've been connecting my Xbox 360 to my laptop using ICS in order to use Xbox Live. The setup looks like this:

Xbox--->ethernet cable--->laptop--->wireless--->router--->modem
I've been using this setup for about a year, without any problems. However, yesterday, while the Xbox was connected to Xbox Live, my electricity unexpectedly cut out, and returned shortly. When I tried to reconnect, I wasn't able to access Xbox live.

I'm running Windows 7, and in the 'Network Connections' page of the Control Panel, the Local Area Connection, which is the Xbox, remains on 'Identifying' for an extended period of time, and then eventually settles on 'Unidentified Network'. I tried resetting the network settings on the Xbox to factory default, to no avail. I've tried resetting my router, also with no luck, and I've tried disabling and enabling my main connection while ensuring it was 'shared', again with no results. I can bridge my main wireless connection and the Local Area Connection, but it results in an unplayable, poor Xbox Live connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Windows7Forums.com :)

Have you ensured that ICS is in fact still enabled if it is, disable and then re-enable it? Running the Xbox Live connection troubleshooter may be able to provide additional insight as well.
I've used this same setup for my Xbox in the past and found it extremely limiting (especially since Media Center doesn't stay configured). I'd personally recommend Xbox>>Ethernet>>Router/Modem>>Wireless to PC. Even on 802.11g you should still have no problem streaming HD content.

Back
Top Bottom