Windows 7 Brand new backup - no help at all.

omits

I have just formatted a new 1TBye drive and tried backup. It reports it has failed and the help area merely tells me to go to the settings. The windows error logs for backup indicate it worked. The drive has an 105MByte image on it but no files or folders. This is pretty useless given that as far as I know this is a basic Pro system and up2date.

Any advice welcome before I scrap windows backup.

The integrated backup system is quite basic in terms of features. If backup is an important facility to you (and I reckon it should be for most of us) then it is well worth investing in what I consider to be the best package on the market - Acronis True Image. You can download a full working trial copy and it is not expensive if you decide to buy it. There are free options also available such as clonezilla and easeus but I've always stuck with Acronis.

Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

I strongly agree with patcooke and am a long time user of Acronis True Image.
And
They are currently running what I consider to be a great deal on the product, bundle with a full version of Malwarebytes PRO.
I've included a link to the sale in a post I made about it here http://windows7forums.com/open-topic-forums/74111-anyone-who-might-interested.html#post241388
There are certainly other options and alternatives but this is one that I've found reliable and dependable over the years
Regards
Randy

In spite of some folks, I have used the Windows Backup since I got Windows 7 and never had a problem that I had not caused.

What type of backup are you trying to do, an image or file backup or both. The drive is a separate physical drive on your system and is accessible normally.

When you go through the backup steps, what does Backup say about the drive as far as using it?

Back