Windows 7 Fix for "Unidentified Network" / No Internet Access

halcion1

Extraordinary Member
I decided to just post this as a new thread, as it appears to be getting positive results for most people. I highly recommend it anyway, as you will eventually encounter this if you apply all of your updates...

For those of you reporting problems with your network after updating MS Office or installing Adobe CS3 -

If you are having Internet connection problems related to "Unidentified Network" showing and the "!" over your NIC icon, then this should take care of it:

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

Hope that helps! I haven't had issues since...
:razz:

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2
NIC: Marvell Yukon 8E8056; driver v10.69.2.3 (4/21/2009)
***fyi - i did update the default Windows driver with this, Vista x64 driver

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2
Adobe CS3 (updated current)

Last edited:
I'd say the majority of Windows 7 users don't need this service and should disable it anyway. I think it installs with iTunes and/or Safari? I know it's one of the services I disable as soon as I install iTunes.

It is a problem that goes back to Vista.
There were several optional "cures", including the one above, at the time.
But the Bonjour service is only one culprit. It can be due to , for example, an onboard ethernet card, whilst you are actually using a wireless card, a network or wireless printer etc.

In early Vista days, Microsoft offered a fix, which seemed to make the problem go away for most. Rather than print the whole thing, you can have a read for yourselves.

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Since the later releases of Windows 7, i have not encountered the problem but, on initial install, I disable my onboard Ethernet (Marvell) card. Could be that.

Same problem here, same solution

I decided to just post this as a new thread, as it appears to be getting positive results for most people. I highly recommend it anyway, as you will eventually encounter this if you apply all of your updates...

For those of you reporting problems with your network after updating MS Office or installing Adobe CS3 -

If you are having Internet connection problems related to "Unidentified Network" showing and the "!" over your NIC icon, then this should take care of it:

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

Hope that helps! I haven't had issues since...
:razz:

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2
NIC: Marvell Yukon 8E8056; driver v10.69.2.3 (4/21/2009)
***fyi - i did update the default Windows driver with this, Vista x64 driver

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2
Adobe CS3 (updated current)

Thanks for your post. That solved my problem too.

Help

Hello, How can I get to access this information, I've installed Windown 7, Can you help me, and explain step-by-step?

Thanks

I haven't installed any of those programs and I do not have that service running on my pc. To get my network running I had to set the MAC address of my router to something like "01234567890AB" and then released and renewed my ip address. This has fixed my "Unidentified network" issues so far. I am running one of the older releases of RC, I am yet to upgrade to the latest.

Since that issue was fixed, the next thing that has been happening is after about a week of being on, my pc loses its internet/network connection, I fixed this by restarting the machine. Next I plan to load a later version of RC.

Hello folks., i want to thank Halcion1 for bringin up the problem and showing us the work around for this problem,..
I tried the said solution,..the results are:
- im able to network (im using a Peer2Peer connection) and at the same time both pcs have an internet access..

i followed the proposed solutions here under these settings:
-PPPOE (DSL) Internet connection
-Server PC : 2 LAN Cards (1 onboard, 1 NIC) ..
-Client PC: Onboard
-Network Connections: (what i see inside my network connection adapters...)
-1 PPPOE connection, 1 OnboardLAN Connection, 1 NIC Connection, and 1 NETWORk BRIDGe Connection..

I have'nt tried using a hub or a switch, with 2 or more pcs attached..

Even though the "unidentified network" still exists, i have succesfuly connected my 2 pcs under peer2peer connection by following the solution posted above...

I hope this helps to those using p2p connection..,
Press ENTER to look up in Wiktionary or CTRL+ENTER to look up in Wikipedia

I decided to update my RealTek driver and disable the Bonjour service all in 1 go, so hopefully it fixes my issue.
It took me forever to realize the disable/re-enable fix.

Also, for those wanting to upgrade their RealTek drivers, the website appears broken, but just delete the part of the URL after the #, and the download works.

Realtek

This fix is only for people who have Bonjour Service installed. It comes with Itunes and maybe some other things.

I dont have this service on my pc. I have a fresh installed Win7 RTM with only few things installed but definetly couldnt find any Bonjour Service or mDNSresponder.exe.

Im getting also cut from Internet when downloading something big at full speed or just when watching youtube! Only disable and enable helps. I dont have any other idea what i could do.

Ive tried with Basic driver of windows. Ive tried the newest driver for my nvidia ethernet but with the same result. It doesnt matter if im behind router or not, connection loss still happens.

My guess its a prob between Nvidia driver und Windows 7.

Having a friend who has a Realtek Onboard LAn and he dont have this problems! Im clueless.

Last edited:
Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list: "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

I've seen you write this here and there, but could you please elaborate? How you do that, where can you find your services where that may or may not appear? Most of us are new to Windows 7 and could use some directions and more help.

Thank you.

I don't have Bonjour installed and I still can't connect to the internet. I'm running Win7 64 bit and using a Linksys wired router. My friend who is on the same network and running Win7 32 bit has no problems.

I've seen you write this here and there, but could you please elaborate? How you do that, where can you find your services where that may or may not appear? Most of us are new to Windows 7 and could use some directions and more help.

Thank you.

Browsed around a bit and found it.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This is so weird. I've tried installing both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Neither will connect to the internet. My roommate has a near identical build to me running 32 bit Windows 7 and he connects just fine, although his motherboard is slightly newer. What's strange is it was working flawlessly (connecting to the internet, etc.) the night I first installed Windows 7 x64, and since then it has not connected (even when plugged straight into the internet, no router). I'm wondering if it's possibly a problem with my motherboard?

Any ideas?

EDIT:

This is strange. Apparently when the PC went into sleep mode the internet stopped working. I unplugged the power cable to it which apparently resets the network interface, and now it works. I'm worried that if it goes into sleep mode again it will happen again, so I disabled it. However I'm also afraid that if I turn it off the same thing will happen. I don't want to have to unplug the power cable every time to use the internet obviously. I guess we'll see if the problem persists.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say that this has not fixed my problem. I'm considering buying a new ethernet card, any recommendations on cards that work in Windows 7? Mine is quite old, don't even think there's a Vista version of the drivers though I'm gonna check again anyway.

Wow!, although I am not British I just have to say to halcion 'You are "Bloody Brilliant Mate" with this solution to the No Network Exclamation point problem.

I had to register to this forum just to thank you for a troubleshooting nightmare that almost had me tossing my CS3 suite out the Adobe window...
Anyway, thanks again.
Rizz :)

Im getting also cut from Internet when downloading something big at full speed or just when watching youtube! Only disable and enable helps. I dont have any other idea what i could do.
Exact same problem here. I am on a university connection so speeds are often very fast. I noticed when I downloaded around 3+ MB/s after a bit my connection drops. Both my on board Marvell NICs disappear. I can't even restart from within Win 7. It won't respond when I try to go to start, restart. I end up closing everything and hitting the reset button. I updated my drivers with the latest Win 7 x64 drivers from the Marvell site and still nothing.

Going to try the fix above.

edit: I changed the service "Bonjour Service" to manual. I'll see if that works.

Last edited:
Back