Windows 7 Fix for "Unidentified Network" / No Internet Access

I decided to just post this as a new thread, as it appears to be getting positive results for most people. I highly recommend it anyway, as you will eventually encounter this if you apply all of your updates...

For those of you reporting problems with your network after updating MS Office or installing Adobe CS3 -

If you are having Internet connection problems related to "Unidentified Network" showing and the "!" over your NIC icon, then this should take care of it:

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

Hope that helps! I haven't had issues since...
:razz:

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2
NIC: Marvell Yukon 8E8056; driver v10.69.2.3 (4/21/2009)
***fyi - i did update the default Windows driver with this, Vista x64 driver

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2
Adobe CS3 (updated current)

How do I fix the undefined netowork problem if I don't have that service running? maybe I am checking in the wrong place, i went to, start>run>msconfig>services, if thats wrong please correct me, but I don't think I have it, anyway to fix it without it?

It is a problem that goes back to Vista.
There were several optional \"cures\", including the one above, at the time.
But the Bonjour service is only one culprit. It can be due to , for example, an onboard ethernet card, whilst you are actually using a wireless card, a network or wireless printer etc.

In early Vista days, Microsoft offered a fix, which seemed to make the problem go away for most. Rather than print the whole thing, you can have a read for yourselves.

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Since the later releases of Windows 7, i have not encountered the problem but, on initial install, I disable my onboard Ethernet (Marvell) card. Could be that.

confirm this would work for windows 7?

Last edited:
how can I?

Hey maybe that is the same issue I am Having, but the problem is I am not an expert to this, can you tell how to check it in from my pc, I was running with windows vist 64 bit, now after installation is windows 7........ How can I do that?+

Another No Network solution for Windows 7

I have a "native" Windows 7 system installed and have fought the "No network Connection" problem as all the other people have done.

I do not have CS3 or Office installed so none of the "services" solutions were applicable.

Finally, I found an obscure suggestion related to my DHCP server itself (which is a Linux server).

I modified the dhcp parameter:

server-identifier "my-name";
to
server-identifier 192.168.1.13;

which is the actual ip of the dhcp server and voila, the Windows 7 box connected and started working. So far, no ill affects on the other linux and windows boxes either.

I have NOT tested a VISTA pc yet.

WP

I still cant fix my lan connection, I uninstalled office(i dont use it anyway) and itunes, deleted that bonjour crap, and done other stupid stuff like letting my pc cool down...that was a waste of time. I have a 64-bit version. Im not sure how to check specifically what build. Can someone please help me?

PS. I can connect wirelessly but not via my ethernet port.

connection --- Check

Tilley377...check and try the following

1) First, since Wireless works, it seems unlikely that any of the solutions (DHCP, cooling down, etc. are solutions)
2) It appears that the ethernet port is the problem, probably either drivers or setup of the port.

try--
3) Set a fixed IP, subnet mask and default gateway addresses including the dns setting (look at the settings for the wireless connection and use them). disable wireless and then set the port. If it doesn't work, then I would think drivers for the port.

If it doesn't, then could still be the driver and possibly some dhcp issue though it is less likely.

Also, provide the output from ipconfig /all

Post your results.
WP

I still cant fix my lan connection, I uninstalled office(i dont use it anyway) and itunes, deleted that bonjour crap, and done other stupid stuff like letting my pc cool down...that was a waste of time. I have a 64-bit version. Im not sure how to check specifically what build. Can someone please help me?

PS. I can connect wirelessly but not via my ethernet port.
I have exactly the same problem as you have and tried everything. Wireless is still working (with the router of the neighbours) but the LAN just isn't. Any solutions here? I tried everything mentioned here on this forum, but didnt work so far.

Don't fall asleep!

I have been experiencing the same issues. I isolated mine to the Power saving features. Take a look at your Event Viewer. I found hundreds of errors related to my Marvell Yukon NIC driver, Dhcp-Client and Kernal-Processor-Power.

After setting my PC to never sleep and I have not lost connection in 36 hours. I will probably disable the onboard NIC and install something that works better with Windows 7.

Similar prob losing connectivity..this worked for me.
Open Network and sharing; click Local area Network; click Properties; Click Configure; Click Power Management; Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.
Also Uncheck Internet protocol version 6 (ipv6) in properties...
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Thanks for this fix. It worked on a "No Internet Access" error on my machine.

Note that my "string" reads different then yours but it was for Bonjour, installed when I added PS3 to my computer.

Thanks again for the help!

It worked for me!

Thanks Halcion1, this seems to be the exact fix that I needed to resolve my network connection issue. I suspected the latest Realtek network driver update that I got from Windows Update, but I had also installed Adobe CS3 at about the same time. The only way I could get a connection before your fix was to disconnect & reconnect the NIC in Device Settings. Thanks again!

Please note that the "unidentified network"/no internet access problem is actually being caused by several different things, and each cause has its own solution. I had the problem, and handwrote about 5 pages of different solutions from different sources.

In the end, my problem was hardware. My motherboard, the Asus P5NSLI, cannot support 4+ gigs of memory plus its peripherals. With Windows 7 64-bit and 4 gigs of memory, I was unable to access the internet. I got the "Unidentified Network" message, which would occassionally clear up but never long enough for any sustained internet activity. I solved the problem by installing Windows 7 32-bit, which has the same 4-gig memory limit of Windows XP 32-bit. So the OS recognizes 3 gigs of ram on my computer, and the internet works fine.

Not a perfect solution, considering I was prepared to upgrade to 6 gigs of memory with Windows 7 64-bit, but a working solution, and apparently the only option for someone encoutering a hardware problem, like me.

I just finished rebooting after disabling the Bonjour service and for the first time since installing Win7, I have internet access at bootup. I have MS Office 2003 and Adobe CS3 installed if that is what caused this. I am using an Intel Pro/1000 PT Nic. Driver update using Windows update did not help. Driver update using Intel's own driver update service allowed the internet access to work only if the Nic was uninstalled and reinstalled using Scan for Hardware Changes. Then it would fail again with the next reboot.

The only other issue I had with the upgrade from Vista was the video card. I was using an hdmi to dvi-d adapter for my older lcd monitor and it would not work until I updated the driver.

Thanks so much for sharing this tip.

Dave

Disabling Bonjour worked for me too

Thank you for this solution; I was disabling and enabling my Realtek card after every boot. Now, with Bonjour disabled, it connects every time by itself with no problems. Bonjour is included with some programs like ITunes and GizmoPhone.

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

Hello, How can I get to access this information, I've installed Windown 7, Can you help me, and explain step-by-step?

Thanks

The services lists can be accessed by opening the Start Menu and type services.msc into the search box.
Just hit Enter after thats been typed. No need to wait for the search as windows will just open it

Or it's also in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools (called Services in there too)

But how can you get rid of unidentified network when you have dual LAN on your computer. 1 is connected to the internet and the other is for home networking but windows identifies it as: unidentified network?

It Worked

The services lists can be accessed by opening the Start Menu and type services.msc into the search box.
Just hit Enter after thats been typed. No need to wait for the search as windows will just open it

Or it's also in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools (called Services in there too)

I have 2 Win7 computers on a 4 computer LAN. Since installing Win7 I've been forced to disable/enable the network cards on both computers in order to have internet access (i.e. the same "unidentified network" message showing up along with my local network). Nothing has worked....until I tried the "fix" listed. Both computers are now automatically logging on to my LAN every time I boot up.

THANK YOU:D

Death be unto my brain

So here I am posting via my itouch cuz BOTH of my computers can't connect to the Internet. I've tried the bonjour service disable but still nothing. I've tried putting in the DNS as 4.2.2.2 but nothing. I've tried changing out the network cables. I have no idea why I can't connect. I was connected just fine yesterday today no dice. I know that the internet works cuz my itouch and my wife's Mac OS X are connected right now. Oh great message board give me answers!

Back