Windows 8 Limited Internet with 169.xxx

Migraine

Hello,
My Internet is not working so I got myself a Internet stick, but I am not able to use it. It shows limited Internet and the ip 169.xxx
I have tried the following things:
1.ipconfig /renew and /release, they don't work because it's not possible to do the command.
2. Reset winsock (doesn't find winsock)
3 reset.log- doesn't work.
4. Changing to a fix ip in the properties.
5. Reinstalling the modem.
6. No firewalls and antivirus

Can anyone help me? Thank you!

Hi Migraine,

A 169 address means that the dhcp failed but I’m more interested in what you mean by

“they don't work because it's not possible to do the command”

Did it ask you for a password or something?

p.s. why is your internet not working… are we talking unpaid bills or a perhaps virus?

My flatmate decided to change to a faster connection. When I got home on Friday the wi-if was limited. I tried to make it work but I couldn't then my flatmate said it was because she was changing the Internet.
She got a new modem but couldn't instal it. I think it's the same 169.xxx problem. Does it make any sense?

It doesn't ask for a password. Sometimes it says no media is connected and sometimes it's a error message. But it's not showing it now and I don't remember.

/release says that no address was associated with the network's point of extremity.

/renew says there is no support for this kind of specified soquete (my computer is in Portuguese and I don't know how to translate it) in this family of addresses.

1. Did flatmate ask the old service provider to upgrade the internet or switched to a new service provider? … changing service providers can take time.

2. The new service is probably looking for the mac address of the modem that they sent you before you can connect to their service.

a. Am I correct in thinking that the new modem your flatmate helpfully organised is not currently installed and neither is whatever you used to have before than one?

b. Why couldn’t the modem be installed… was it broken or you just not sure what thing goes where?

c. Assuming a is correct then the next step is a command decision about which internet is going to win out; the old one you used to have, the new one your flatmate wants or this internet stick which doesn’t sound like the knight in shining armour, after all.

d. Bottom line is you can’t connect to the internet until this is fixed… ring them.

It's a new service. She tried to install but was not able to do so.

But what does the Internet stick has to do to the wifi? Why can't I connect with the stick?

Sometimes, as I just recently discovered, a new service or even an upgrade of a device from the same provider will require a phone call to the ISP (Internet Service Provider), the people who supplied the device in order to activate it.

The internet stick is a type of Wi-Fi… All we know so far is that the stick isn't working.
1. Put the stick back in.
2. Press [windows key] + [x] and pick "Network Connections".
3. Right click the connection for your stick and press the diagnose button.
Btw is this a new stick i.e. a shop one or something a m8 had sitting in the cupboard?
Does it have a make and model number so we can tell what type it is?

Thank you for the answer.

The wifi at home is not okay, but that is not the problem. The tech went to see the modem, but the change is not going to be physical, so no tech will be at my home when the Internet works.

I've tested to connect in two different places and none of them worked. Still limited connection.
Right now I am more worried in get any connection, I don't need to make the stick work.
I've tried everything I found on the Internet but none seem to work. I don't know what to do.

I am assuming you have a ROUTER that provides the wireless networking to you. That router is connected to the ISP's modem. If so, the ROUTER issues an IP Address to you that is PRIVATE. Private ones are ones only to be used on a LAN (Local Area Network) and are not see by others. These are the range of addresses:

Private IP address ranges
The ranges and the amount of usable IP's are as follows:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
Addresses: 16,777,216

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
Addresses: 1,048,576

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
Addresses: 65,536

There is NO 169.xxx address there. I suspect you need to use 192.168.1.1 as your GATEWAY.

To see what you have now, open up a COMMAND PROMPT and enter IPCONFIG /ALL and copy the data displayed (mark and copy using edit) and post here. That way we'll know what you've set it too.

This is what mine looks like:

------------
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c44:8cb4:b9c5:16a6%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 02, 2014 5:29:07 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 03, 2014 5:29:06 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167293270
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-B3-19-9F-F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
----------

I suspect your results should look about the same but are not.

I’m sorry but we have started going in cycles here and that will get us nowhere fast;

1. Get the new router they sent to your flat mate and write down the make and model i.e tp-link or D-link and DKVM-4K… there could have been some paper work that will have these details.
2. Post the details here and we will try to walk you through setting it up.

p.s. A "limited connection" is windows speak for "we can see your network device but there is nothing connected to the other end"

Back