Windows 7 no internt connection (desktop)

4.PNG

ha sorry. thx for staying patient.

Not a problem. I see you are dropping some packets, which is not good. Open IE8 and type 64.233.169.99 into the address bar and hit enter. Let me know what happens. Also post another ipconfig /all for your wireless adapter.

Drew:
Yes, you are correct. The IP address of his router is 192.168.2.1 I suspect that it may be having a problem forwarding and properly resolving DNS queries so I suggested that he use the IP address of google in a web browser to see if that was in fact what is happening. He may ultimately have to resort to a firmware update on the router, which I believe he will have to do from within the router interface itself, since I couldn't find anything on Belkins site to download a firmware update, but there is an option within the router interface to search for a firmware upgrade.

i did type it up there. got same result. i actually just tried both since it didnt work. and posted wrong one

Please click start and type ncpa.cpl and hit enter. In the resultant window right click on the Local area connection and choose disable. Right click on wireless network connection and choose properties. Uncheck IPv6 and then select IPv4 and click the properties button on the resultant window near the bottom choose the button that says use the following DNS servers and in the preferred box type 8.8.8.8 and in the alternate box type 8.8.4.4 reboot and try again.

still no internet. did u want me to click the 'validate setting before exit" button first? and heres another pic of everything.6.PNG

No that shouldn't be necessary. I suppose we've come to the point where you may very well have to perform a firmware update on the router so...
Go here Belkin : Support : F5D7231-4 Wireless G Plus Router - Firmware Update and download the firmware update Version 1xxx Firmware version 4.07.07, OS compatibility: Any, size 1.92MB. Then go here and make sure you follow the directions on this page very carefully Belkin : Support : Upgrading the router's firmware make sure you do not attempt a firmware upgrade from a computer that is connect wirelessly, you need to have the computer connected to the router with a wire.

i suppose i wouldnt want to start trying this when another friend is using the router at the moment? i should wait until he is done using it to start updating it. if not leme know and ill start right now. if so, thx for your help and ill let u know how it goes in a few hours.

ok i updated it, and it when all the way to update firmware successful. then it started the one minute timer. when it got to 30 secs it just stopped counting down. and went to the main router menu. i figured that it was still sucessful but still dont have internet on my emachine...

ok i updated it, and it when all the way to update firmware successful. then it started the one minute timer. when it got to 30 secs it just stopped counting down. and went to the main router menu. i figured that it was still sucessful but still dont have internet on my emachine...

Drew is correct, perhaps Belkin can provide some custom settings that you may be able to apply to the router that might help you. I can only say, that according to this Windows 7 Compatibility Belkin Belkin 802.11g G+ Wireless Router your router is compatible with Windows 7 32 and 64 bit and according to this, if you installed the update which you said you had Windows 7 Compatibility Netgear Netgear RangeMax USB 2.0 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter your wireless adapter is compatible with Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. Not sure at this point what exactly is causing your issue but if Belkin can be of any help, please post back and let us know what the resolution was.

EDIT: It has also been noted both here and in other forums that Windows 7, sometimes has problems with third party software controlling wireless adapters and evidently prefers to have total control, so as a last ditch effort you might consider going into control panel, programs and features and uninstall the software utility that the D-Link wireless adapter is using and see if windows 7 does a better job of handling the adapter on its' own. Just a final thought.

Last edited:
talked to both linksys and belkin, linksys did just about everything we went through and told me to also call belkin. Belkin also had me do things that we already tried and said that it wasnt the router, that it is compativble with windows 7, and that i should delete internet explorer and reinstall it. and i see what u said trouble about uninstalling the software utility, but that still wouldnt explain why i cant hook up with wires to the router.

Very true, that wouldn't explain that at all, but we actually didn't spend much if any time trying to resolve the issue with the wired connection, and since I understood that it was a big pain to relocate the computer near enough to the router to pursue it, I did't continue along that road, but if you want to give that a try. Then I would be more then happy to give it a shot, so let me know. First thing to do, is disable the wireless, and re-enable the local area connection, and provide some specifics on the actual manufacturer, model name and number and any version information on the wired adapter. Make sure you disable IPv6 and set the IP to auto config everything and we'll give it a go if you want.

talked to both linksys and belkin, linksys did just about everything we went through and told me to also call belkin. Belkin also had me do things that we already tried and said that it wasnt the router, that it is compativble with windows 7, and that i should delete internet explorer and reinstall it. and i see what u said trouble about uninstalling the software utility, but that still wouldnt explain why i cant hook up with wires to the router.

just a thought but can you tell us what antivirus you are using and anything else involved with security on your PC ?

ok so i disbaled wireless and enabled local area connection. not sure what info u need other than the router information. i just have an ethernet cable running straight from the router to the back of my pc. and i disbaled ipv6. also dont remember how to set the ip to auto config.

-no security on it yet, just bought the pc this week, and havent had internet on it yet so saw no need to put any antivirus on it til i had access to the web. so w.e security comes with a desktop with windows 7.

looked like some handy info to have haha7.PNG

Last edited:
I would be interested in your answer to icymay's question above any type of third party software like firewalls or internet security suites. Temporarily uninstall them, you can always reinstall them later, even the windows 7 firewall, turn it off for testing for now. In the mean time I will check for some updated drivers if any for you NIC

Back
Top Bottom