Windows 7 refusing to restart

Tru

Hiya

I am loving Windows 7 so far but have just noticed a problem which I don't know how to solve. I pressed restart ... the computer went off and .. well, it seemed as if it was starting up, but it didn't. I noticed the only way to get it to come back on is unplugging it from the wall, waiting a second and then plug it back in but even then, it sometimes won't start. It can take a few attempts. I am noticing how annoying it is as I upgrade graphics drivers and other things which require a restart are becoming frustrating

This only happens when I try and restart :confused:

For now, I am going to just use shut down instead. I have read about poeple having problems with M Audio, i don't have that so I've no idea what else is causing this. Any ideas?

Edit: Specs

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
Board: ASRock K10N78FullHD-hSLI..
3.00 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 945
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
500.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
328.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series [Display adapter]
ATI High Definition Audio Device
High Definition Audio Device

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7241S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAWF1131516, rev 05.01D05, SMART Status: Healthy

All up to date drivers etc as far as I'm aware .. and it is a brand new computer

Last edited:
Is it possible that your computer is actually restarting...when you said "well, it seemed as if it was starting up, but it didn't." How are you determining this, when you restart do you see anything happening, like the keyboard lights flashing and perhaps the cap locks staying on. I was just thinking that maybe the monitor wasn't interpreting the reintroduction of the video signal properly, perhaps turning off the monitor and turning it back on, or possibly swapping the monitor with another for testing? Just a guess.

Hi there! Yes the keyboard lights come one and I am sure that Caps lock stays on too. I have tried switching the monitor off and on but nothing happens, even removing the plug form the wall socket.

I have been quite impatient too so didn't wait for long to see if the computer/monitor would come on as I am used to computers and monitors showing starting procedures immediately.

I will try waiting now after going through a restart, thanks. I'll be back soon! (I hope) :D

Edit: No I don't have another monitor to test unfortunately

Last edited:
Okay, that was a bit of a nightmare :redface:

Restarted and computer appeared to restart. The monitor went off and didn't come back on. Airflow fans and lights inside the PC went on, so did num lock and F lock lights on keyboard.

I stared at it for a few minutes and it seemed to keep trying to restart, ie; the keyboard lights flashed on and off a few times and the computer sounded like it was rebooting but it seemed to just keep doing it. I got bored staring and tried using the Power off button on the computer, which worked. Only now, after switching back on with Power On button, the computer started doing it again, ... seemingly stuck trying to restart continually with the keyboard lights flashing off then on a few times along with the reboot sound (everything going silent then retstaring).

My computer wouldn't come back on until I unplugged it from the wall and left it for about 2 minutes (wouldn't work after waiting 5 seconds). Then plugged it back in switch it on, switched monitor on and everything seems fine :confused:

Last edited:
During this whole process or apparent rebooting, do you see anything at all on the monitor, like the sytem bios screen, or the gfx card bios screen, anything??? of does the monitor light just stay amber, like it isn't receiving a signal? It almost sounds like a problem with the front panel jumpers on the motherboard, like the reset jumper that goes to the reset switch is being shorted somehow, but I would think that even if that was the case you would still see something on the monitor, and if that really was the case, your computer would actually never boot, just keep resetting. Did you check ASRock and make sure you got the latest Nvidia all in one chipset drivers for that motherboard?

During this whole process or apparent rebooting, do you see anything at all on the monitor, like the sytem bios screen, or the gfx card bios screen, anything??? of does the monitor light just stay amber, like it isn't receiving a signal?

I can see nothing on the monitor, the light stays amber.

It almost sounds like a problem with the front panel jumpers on the motherboard, like the reset jumper that goes to the reset switch is being shorted somehow, but I would think that even if that was the case you would still see something on the monitor, and if that really was the case, your computer would actually never boot, just keep resetting. Did you check ASRock and make sure you got the latest Nvidia all in one chipset drivers for that motherboard?

It does boot though, when I switch it off and on. I didn't check AsRock yet, I am looking now though

Okay I installed the Nvidia package from AsRock .. it required a restart hahah!

So, after going through all this again, no difference:confused: Power on and off, shut down etc are fine, which is confusing me and what made me think it was a windows 7 *restart* problem.

As a last resort, you may try, shutting down your system, remove the power source, remove the mother board battery for a couple minutes and then replace it, this should clear all cmos settings, so be prepared. But I gotta say that in all probability you have a problem with the mainboard itself, or possibly an issue with the power supply. Assuming of course that this is a brand new install on brand new parts.

Hello, yous were correct. I went and borrowed an older gfx card from my brother and the computer restarts fine now :mad: that last one (ati3870) was not new, I think I broked it :mad: everything else is brand new though so i can go back to enjoying windows 7 while I begin to save for a new gfx card :cool:

many thanks, you saved me from more frustrations, & happy new year ;)

Thanks for posting back. It would seem that Drew called that one, spot on. Good to know you're up and running and enjoying Windows 7 again. Hang around, stay with the forum and share your experience, it may very well prove helpful to others.

Back
Top Bottom