Windows 7 Win7 Freezes randomly

Glad you found the problem. I found Windows 7 has a memory test feature which you problably already found yourself. I found it just digging around in Control (set to large icon mode for easier finds).

Morning - new member, first reply on the forum!

This problem caused me about 3 weeks of frustration, complete freeze, what was on the screen remained on the screen only option hard reset. No errors logged in the event tracker (aside from my Kernel re-boot error).

Originally running Windows 7 RC 7100 version, about 3 weeks ago it started freezing randomly with no pattern, tried everything that I could think of. Only solution to upgrade/clean install to Win7 Home Premium - surely that would solve it.... No!

The solution....remove AVG 9.0.

The moment I took it off the problem went away, thinking back the problems started at the same time I upgraded from AVG 8.5 to 9.0. I've now placed 8.5 back on the machine and it's not frozen once.

Hope this helps.

Basic machine specs;

Intel Quad Core Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

EDIT: It was AVG 9 causing the problem. Took it off in place of AVG 8.5 and all is well again in the humble desktop world.

Thanks!

Last edited:
EDIT: It was AVG 9 causing the problem. Took it off in place of AVG 8.5 and all is well again in the humble desktop world.

Thanks!
I have Microsoft involved at the moment, they have remotely accessed my PC (until it performed it's trick) got to around 8.30 pm and he got tired of it so we are resuming Friday afternoon.
Although there has been no resolution yet but AVG 9 came up as a problem causing error messages with Int' explorer but it may turn out that it's causing the CPU problem even though AVG has been disabled

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and last night I was listening to Itunes and suddenly the song stopped and everything froze. After a minute or two things started working again. Tonight as the computer came out of sleep it froze again. After 3 minutes or so I got tired of waiting so I just hit reset (yes, I know this can lead to disk corruption and it did) Disk Scan ran and it found 100's or orphaned files and "repaired" them then booted up and Kasperski showed it could not protect computer due to corrupted databases. I updated the databases and all is fine.
I have been reading about Windows 7 freezes but other than one or two at first I have not had a problem until recently as the freezes are totally random, sometimes with Internet Explorer, sometimes with FireFox, Itunes, Windows Live Mail.
All my drivers are up to date from the manufacturers. Either Microsoft (Windows 7), manufacturers and their drivers and software, or both need to get together and get the bugs out of the Windows 7 environment.

System:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
Home built with Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2002, 9/11/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
ATI HD 4770 Video Graphics card
Realtek PCIe Ethernet Adaptor
Realtek HD Audio
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Seagate Baracuda 500GB
Locale United States
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (Corsair) 1066ghz DDR
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.85 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.74 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

Last edited:
I've completed round three of MS versus my freezing with 100% CPU usage fight and it has still beaten him, last evening it froze whilst he was downloading windows one care scanner (I've done this before myself, I kind of thought they would be using more some thing more than the tools available to me), he never rang back anymore so I don't know what's going to happen now as no arrangements have been made to re-connect to me.
This seems to have beaten the Microsoft team so far, I expected one or two driver issues from a new operating system but not major issues that should have been sorted in the beta version .
A friend of mine had the beta and claimed it was perfect and that's why I went for it.

My System only crashes in games but i get black screen and have to hard reboot!!!!

Ever since i brought my new ddr3 mb and ram+windows 7 my system has become unstable when playing games. I am starting to get a little fed up as i can't figure it out. I have replaced almost everything in the machine as to eliminate the problem, however i have had no luck. It kinda looks to be a software issue because i don't get a blue screen or even a message when i have to do a hard boot, i just don't know. I am more than happy to send any info required in order to sort this. If i need to replace or send something back then fine. Some further details that may help.

My spec is:

Asus Rampage Extreme Mobo
Q6600 Core 2 Quad
Ati 4870x2
G.skill Ripjaw 2x2gb 1600
Corsair Modular 620W psu
Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW

G.Card, prossecor and nb are water cooled

As far as i can tell i hava all the drivers up to date.

Any Help will be HUGELY appreciated.

I have now gone through round four of MS versus my PC and once again it wone, he will be on the phone and my PC again tomorrow for round five.
Last night he re-installed windows and I have it running with no extra programs installed apart from my router transmitter driver (need this to connect to my router, the PC still goes to 100% cpu usage every little while so it must be a piece of hard ware that isn't happy with 7.
I'm getting tired of the bouts now the sessions are very tiring.

Man I'm tweaking out.

I'm a 21 year old college student with very LIMITED knowledge about computers.

I bought a new HP computer with windows 7 and have been using it for three days.

In those three days, at the most random times the ENTIRE computer freezes.

The mouse doesn't work.

I can't control - alt - delete

I have to do a hard restart.

I'm nervous because this has happened at least 4 times... and it's BRAND SPANKIN NEW!!!

Ahh please help.

Hey Peerles,

Personally if I was in your situation i'd take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement and if it happens again ask them to sort it for you. I fixed my problem, sounds a bit different to yours though, my machine would only lock up during games. Turns out i updated the bios with an overclock. Its all fine now. Hope you sort yours soon.

After completing the sixth round of ms v win7 last evening at nine pm it turns out it was my graphics card, we installed a new driver and it's been running fine up until around mid day today, I left it running whilst outside working and when I returned it had a message on the screen saying "windows has recovered from a unexpected shut down check for a solution when next on line" the ruddy thing was still on line and working perfectly, however I opened windows live mail and it too reported not being closed properly so this confirmed it had in fact shut down badly at some stage.
I would glad entertain the prospect of a power cut but if this had been what caused it the PC wouldn't have re-started with out me switching it back on, thinking it may be a setting in the power saving section I disabled sleep, hibernate and everything that would switch something off (even the monitor).
It had a fit and immediately went to 100% and after a couple of black screens and re-starts it's now running fine again, I'm praying that is the end of it.
One other thing, I use Iolo system mechanic and that won't install I just get a message saying installer has stopped working, the details report a event name as "APPCRASH", I contacted Iolo ad they sent a link to re-download in case I have a corrupt copy and it still does the same with that (hair is getting thin).

i take freeze plz help me i m sad

hello i have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and i m taking freezing random! :S
graphic card:ati radeon 4770 for windows 7 32 bit
ram:2048 mb
Intel Core 2 duo cpu E8200 @ 2.66 ghz 2.67 ghz
realtek hight definition audio and asrock mother board.. i go to asrock website and i download the latest driver for mine type of motherboard for win7. but i continue taking freeze i dont know why i have tried many editions of win7. plz help me

*i m from greece,sorry for bad english plz help me

my computer is freezing too

it will freeze after about 5 minutes or so, when i boot up in safe mode w networking it works all day, it seems to be a driver issue ive tried to narrow it down but im afraid this is outside my scope of knowledge without some help. heres my setup

32bit windows 7
abit ab9 pro motherboard
intel core 2 dou 2.4 ghz
diamond ati 3870 video card
4gigs ram

all help is greatly appriatiated

my computer is freezing too

it will freeze after about 5 minutes or so, when i boot up in safe mode w networking it works all day, it seems to be a driver issue ive tried to narrow it down but im afraid this is outside my scope of knowledge without some help. heres my setup

32bit windows 7
abit ab9 pro motherboard
intel core 2 dou 2.4 ghz
diamond ati 3870 video card
4gigs ram

all help is greatly appriatiated

Hey Smallblockurs,

Have you been to the Abit site to dl the latest drivers for your mobo?? There should be all the latest drivers for win7.

After finding with the help of Microsoft that the graphic card was causing the problem we downloaded and installed a new driver, this worked for a few hours then the problem came back worse than ever.
Thinking I may have to purchase either a separate card or even a new m/board, I tried reformatting again and installing the 32bit version of 7.
My booard/card obviously doesn't like the taste of 64bit as it's all sorted now albeit a little slower responding.
Thanks for to anyone who tried to help.

Back