Windows 8 Windows 8.1 RTM Now Available for Download

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft has relinquished its previous statements that it would not provide Windows 8.1 RTM to developers on MSDN or Technet and has since published the following versions on both services. The final RTM version, a major update which includes numerous bug fixes and improvements to genuine license holders of Windows 8, has also been leaked online by a group named WZOR since last month, according to major IT news sources:

Windows 8.1 is now available from Microsoft at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

Further information for developers and IT professionals about Windows 8.1 RTM:

Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)

• File Name: en-gb_windows_8_1_x86_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 2785 MB; 2.71 GB (2,919,948,288 bytes)
  • Languages: English
  • SHA1: 7CD38ECE3D86339BC0BFEF4D4FAC6C5975248383

Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x86) - DVD (English)

• File Name: en_windows_8_1_x86_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 2780 MB; 2.71 GB (2,915,131,392 bytes)
  • SHA1: 802CFCD3A411D99C097EA7E747F0B6697F9BDAC4

Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)

• File Name: en-gb_windows_8_1_x64_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 3723 MB; 3.63 GB (3,904,124,928 bytes)
  • SHA1: 42458E48CECEBAB8BF5D58220478FDA42B0D2990

Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English)

• File Name: en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 3719 MB; 3.63 GB (3,899,295,744 bytes)
  • SHA1: BC2F7FF5C91C9F0F8676E39E703085C65072139B

Note: SHA1 is critical for determining unaltered authenticity of these files and are directly from Microsoft Corporation. Use a utility like HashMyFiles to confirm the SHA1 checksum on these .ISO files. If you are having difficulty extracting the .ISO files for an upgrade path, you can boot from disc. If you can not create a boot disc, ImgBurn is a freeware, lightweight utility that allows you to burn ISO files to DVD. You may also run setup.exe for upgrade after creating the DVD media.

Microsoft has confirmed the RTM build number is Windows 8.1 9600.16384.130821-1623 and we now have the highest level of certainty that these files are the Windows 8.1 "Release to Manufacturer" (RTM). These files were released to OEM parners by September 1, 2013.

Although the files have already leaked, we now have dates for the official release timetable:

RTM Leaked by "WZOR" Group: August 23, 2013
Released to OEM Partners: September 1, 2013
TechNet/MSDN/Volume Licenses: September 9, 2013
Official Public Availability: October 17, 2013

The 32-bit and 64-bit versions are compatible with English (US) and English (UK) languages. Here is the following information:

We recommend that you:
  • Download any files at your own risk. We are not responsible for lost data or damage.
  • Observe best practices, including backing up your data prior to the installation of any operating system updates or modifications.
  • We, again, strongly recommend that you thoroughly backup your system prior to the installation of any operating system update.

The files have been tested on various types of hardware, without problem or difficulty. This does not guarantee that the Windows 8.1 RTM will work for you. You will want to clean install the software, by burning the ISO file to disc, or you can extract the .ISO file using WinRAR, and run the upgrade path.

If running the upgrade path after extracting the .ISO file, temporarily disable your anti-virus, save all of your work, and turn off all programs before running the installer. This will improve the likelihood of a proper installation. Follow all on-screen instructions.

Support Files for Genuine Microsoft Windows 8 License Holders

Windows 8.1 is a service pack-type upgrade. These files are considered support files and can only be used with a legitimate, genuine Windows license key. If we are asked to remove these files, at any time, by Microsoft Corporation, we will do so, without hesitation. However, these files remain online with the proper SHA1 data authentication through torrents and other means, by other individuals, with whom we have no association. In any event of where you may download these files online, you should be attempting to download these files for emergency support reasons or system failure and should verify their authenticity using the SHA1 authentication. Until the release to general public, this should be among the few, if only circumstances, that we could justify for the download of these files.

Additional Verification Details

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

BuildLab: 9600.winblue_rtm.130821-1623
BuildLabEx: 9600.16384.amd64fre.winblue_rtm.130821-1623
CurrentBuild: 9600
CurrentBuildNumber: 9600
CurrentType: Multiprocessor Free
CurrentVersion: 6.3
ProductID: Windows 8.1 Pro​

Last edited:
Additional information for Windows 8 "N" Version

Windows 8.1 N (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English)

• File Name: en_windows_8_1_n_x64_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 3537 MB
  • SHA1: C1E1A2BA32598BBA3EE21A28AC4144462CBFF3D7

Windows 8.1 N (multiple editions) (x86) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)

• File Name: en-gb_windows_8_1_n_x86_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 2648 MB
  • SHA1: 03BE21817B8EC1464E4AC8F23A65723FD2FD5675

Windows 8.1 N (multiple editions) (x86) - DVD (English)

• File Name: en_windows_8_1_n_x86_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 2643 MB
  • SHA1: 76A587D6B5C7939FE72878253DAE50FEC698D2A9

What is Windows 8 "N"?

According to Microsoft:

Windows 8 N editions have been designed to give you most of the features of Windows 8—with the addition of choice. There are three Windows 8 N editions: Windows 8N, Windows 8 Pro N, and Windows 8 Pro Pack N. The N editions of Windows 8 allow you to choose your own media player and software required to manage and play CDs, DVDs, and other digital media files. If you choose to use Windows Media Player 12, downloading it, along with related software, is free. Windows 8 N editions are available for customers who live in countries that are part of the European Economic Area, Croatia, and Switzerland.

According to the rest of the planet:

Windows 8 editions specially destined for European markets have the letter "N" suffixed to their names and do not include a bundled copy of Windows Media Player. Microsoft was required to create the "N" editions of Windows after the European Commission ruled in 2004 that it needed to provide a copy of Windows without Windows Media Player, as a result of complaints by Novell and Sun Microsystems, which claimed that the corporation was abusing its dominant position in the desktop operating system market. As a result of rulings from the European Union, Microsoft was being fined up to 3 million euros per day until they began releasing the "N" version of the operating system, which does not include certain streaming media technologies. On 27 February 2008, the EU fined Microsoft an additional €899 million (US$1.44 billion) for failure to comply with the March 2004 antitrust decision.

Additional information pertinent to Windows 8 RTM:

Download Windows 8.1 RTM, Visual Studio 2013 RC and Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM Today by Steve "Guggs" Guggenheimer's blog at the official Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).

Important Windows 8.1 Release Notes

Typically, the release to manufacturer version of Windows is the final build (compilation) that is sent to large corporate clients before it is released to the retail marketplace in areas like Windows Update, the Windows Store, and made available as an official slipstream retail bundle in stores.

Typically, in the past, with the release of service packs, that solve many security vulnerabilities and issues as a compilation of Windows Updates, the RTM is sent to partner companies so that they can essentially brand the new version and prepare it as a bundled release on OEM systems. This means that the package is sent to large computer manufacturers so that they can add their own branded software, and, potentially, device drivers, to provide an optimal experience to the purchasers of new computers.

With the release to manufacturer version of Windows 8.1, it was initially unclear as to whether or not these would be the final "bits", or the final compiled version of Windows 8.1, due to much online conjecture. However, the release of Windows 8.1 will likely be followed by a large number of updates to the Modern UI applications, and it has now become common knowledge that these are the final bits for the software.

This makes the final version of Windows 8.1 9600.16384.130821-1623, for anyone paying attention.

The release of Windows 8.1 on MSDN and Technet follows disdain from developers and others who have paid a hefty price to gain early access to Microsoft software. Plans were initially to keep the RTM off the table to these individuals and organizations, prompting some to believe that the final retail release would be a different kernel build from the RTM - a seemingly odd set of circumstances, unfamiliar to most developers. As of the 9th of September, Microsoft did a 180 degree u-turn over this issue, responding to customer feedback and stating:

"We've listened, we value your partnership, and we are adjusting based on your feedback. As we refine our delivery schedules for a more rapid release cadence, we are working on the best way to support early releases to the various audiences within our ecosystem," said Microsoft's chief evangelist Steven Guggenheimer.

Traditionally, the RTM gives developers and corporations time to adapt their software to the updated operating system's application programming interface and code changes. It should be noted that while Windows 8.1 is essentially a service pack that cleans up a lot of interface issues in Windows 8, the kernel of the operating system has been significantly updated, and there are significant feature improvements that may not have normally been found in a traditional service pack. It may also be a way of indicating to potential customers and adopters that often cited issues with the Windows 8 interface have been resolved under the "8.1" moniker.

According to NeoWin:

In today's announcement, Microsoft said they are still making some final changes to Windows 8.1 before the OS reaches its general availability stage. That was part of the reason why the company did not at first wish to release the RTM versions publicly. However, a representative of Microsoft told Neowin that, in taking feedback from software developers, the company decided that it was in fact a good idea to release the RTM build to TechNet and MSDN users.

Microsoft does say that since the Windows team will be making some final adjustments to Windows 8.1 before Oct. 18. The RTM builds are for testing purposes only, the company says, and developers will still have to do some final app tweaking of their own when the GA build is released.

It is likely a large number of updates will be pushed out from the Windows Store and Windows Update for Modern UI apps and operating system updates, primarily because the RTM version is designated for corporations to prime the operating system for a release to their customers. Irregardless, everyone will likely have to download a large number of updates after Windows 8.1 goes "retail" in mid-October.

With that in mind, this is the gold version of Windows 8.1, and future patches from Microsoft are suspected to be forthcoming after general availability to the public; without any additional build releases coming out. However, Microsoft still emphasizes that the RTM, this time, is still being tested. Large corporate clients such as Dell, Lenovo, HP, and many other partners, with access to the RTM, will report back difficulties that will be patched on the day of the retail release. It has widely been suspected that most semiconductor companies like Intel and AMD already have access to most of the development builds.

If you are currently satisfied with your Windows 8 experience, you should not seek out Windows 8.1. However, the Windows 8.1 Preview version is now essentially "out of date". Loyal Microsoft customers may be interested in picking up a Technet or MSDN subscription from Microsoft if they are interested in early access to Windows 8.1 Release to Manufacturer ("RTM").

Any genuine customer who happens to obtain the software should be sure to follow the important release notes listed from Microsoft at the top of this post and confirm authenticity using the SHA1 checksums at all costs. Many IT news sites are reporting that the last leaked version of the RTM build (8.1 9600.16384.130821-1623) was actually the final version.

Needless to say, those with access to this software should know what they are doing, and always make sure they back up their files. They should be certain to take all necessary precautions before deploying the software in any production environment.

It is confirmed that Windows 8.1 has been made available to academic institutions and students via Microsoft Dreamspark Premium. It is also confirmed that "RTM is RTM" and no further bit changes will be required for general availability. So, essentially, if you install Windows 8.1 RTM now, you will not be required to install an additional version again in October.

Last edited:
Windows Server 2012 R2 Available as RTM

As Windows 8.1 is essentially the client version of its counterpart server operating system, Windows Server 2012 R2 has simultaneously been released to manufacturer. This information is currently available:

Release Notes: Important Issues in Windows Server 2012 R2

Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64) - DVD (English)
  • File Name: en_windows_server_2012_r2_x64_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 4071 MB
  • SHA1: B6F063436056510357CB19CB77DB781ED9C11DF3

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 (x64) - DVD (English)
  • File Name: en_microsoft_hyper-v_server_2012_r2_x64_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 1917 MB
  • SHA1: 1EEC2EE8DD77E8EB970B210C9B0E01986D7210DD

Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation (x64) - DVD (English)
  • File Name: en_windows_storage_server_2012_r2_and_windows_server_2012_r2_foundation_x64_dvd.iso
  • Filesize: 3860 MB
  • SHA1: E3F320EACACFC7F2B000D3E6B02872133BCA547C

I have done an Update install using the setup.exe from a flash drive. Used the key from the download to install and the original Windows 8 key to activate.

Seems to be working fine.

I have done an Update install using the setup.exe from a flash drive. Used the key from the download to install and the original Windows 8 key to activate.

Same here and is working well. Seems they got multitasking working even better than in Windows 8, which is a lovely bonus.

I am wondering why I can't find a key from the download. Am I missing something.

Yes you are....in order to get a key, you have to have purchased a MSDN or TechNet subscription or have won the MVP award which gives you the those accounts. It's one of the many benifits of winning the coveted MVP award from MS or by purchasing a subcription from either or both.

As of September 1st of this year, MS has shut down the TechNet subcription....so you can't purchase that one anymore....MSDN is still avaiable but be prepared to open you checkbook or CC....it's expensive.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772428.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

I am wondering why I can't find a key from the download. Am I missing something.

We are prohibited from talking about or issuing, even temporary license keys that are not sanctioned from Microsoft, on this website.

You need a legitimate or temporary Windows 8.1 retail key to access the software, which will be available from Technet/MSDN. There is a method being used by some to use a temporary key and then switch back to the original key using:
Code:
slmgr -ipk yourkey
This is done after unlocking the RTM using a temporary key, which may not be authorized by Microsoft, so we cannot discuss it here. I hope this helps. The original key will validate and authenticate, but because the RTM is not available through Windows Store, Windows 8.1 does appear to be locked down to manufacturers at this time.

@nmsuk and many others have confirmed this method works.

To rehash:
  • You would download the RTM.
  • You would enter a temporary key, which we can neither identify or give out, since we don't have one and it may not be permissible.
  • You would then use slmgr -ipk yourkey under an elevated Command Prompt to re-enter your original Windows 8 key, once you get back into the updated OS.
This is a method being used by people who absolutely need access to the RTM and are already legitimate Windows 8 customers. What is happening here is that those with access to the RTM are being given retail keys that will allow for its activation. By October 18th, the same bits will be downloadable as the redistributable version for IT support personnel on the Microsoft Downloads website. The Windows Update/Store version will likely be a much smaller download for consumers who already have Windows 8 installed. The RTM version that has leaked contains the entire package for a clean install, since vendors will be likely to use Windows 8.1 when setting up new laptops and desktops for retail sale. The point of the RTM release has always been to get it to manufacturers so that when it is published, to regular customers who already own Windows, the latest version of Windows is already on hardware in stores with full device driver support. I hope this helps.

You can create bootable USB media to install/upgrade/clean install Windows 8.1 as well, using the same method I described with Universal USB Installer.

Thanks Mike I have tried that and it won't work. However the key that I used to download windows 8.1 with activated it for me.

I now show a message that my secure boot is not configured right. Not sure what to do to correct that.

Problem solved with my secure boot not being correct. Had to go into the bios and enable it and then enable force default key. Thank you for the help bassfisher and Mike.

Cool beans Sonny....so you're running 8.1/8.1 Pro now. How do you like it?

Microsoft updated Windows 8.1 RTM today with Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2880289). This update was previously applied to all Windows 8 versions with details found here.

Please clarify for me. I am a bit confused......
I have a laptop presently running Win 8 Pro 32-bit. It came in the form of an upgrade disc and a product key.
I am going to download the Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x86) - DVD (English) iso from this thread.
I'll burn the iso into a bootable DVD.
That is not a problem.

Now, my question :
When I install the 8.1 using the DVD and I am asked to input the product key, do I use my Win 8 Pro key ?

Or, a win 8.1 product key is needed to install, and then use my win 8 pro key to activate?

Thank you.

I apologize.
I did not read the posts carefully.
I missed the part about "temporary key".
Please disregard my question.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom