Windows 7 Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working

kojo87

Windows Explorer crashes every time i try to open a folder window. as far as i can tell there are no certain circumstances that make this happen. it just does it every time and is extremely inconvenient and frustrating. this problem only started recently after i did some windows updates. i've done some googling and can't seem to find any answers. the huge issue here is i can't uses explorer to get to the folders to try some of these registry fixes that might work. has anyone else experienced this?

I am running Windows 7 Build 7100 on an ASUS EeePC 1008HA (Intel Atom N280, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD) runs smooth except for this issue and the blackscreen bootup hiccup that a few EeePCs have with Windows 7.

Hello kojo87,

Welcome to the windows7forums,

Sorry for all the questions, but this info will help a great deal.

did this occur immediately after installing Windows 7?
Did you perform an upgrade or do a "clean" install?

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit edition?

Have you gone to the manufactures site and looked for Windows 7 drivers for your particular PC..

Were you offered Windows Updates after you first installed and activated?

I am running a 32bit clean install. my laptop came with XP and i just got rid of it completely. this problem only started after i did some Windows Updates. system is up-to-date and activated with the key given to me from Microsoft. ASUS does not provide drivers for Vista or 7 for the model i have unfortunately.

thanks for the help

Do you know where to go to find the latest updates you downloaded?

If so, try uninstalling the latest date.

i actually found the answer on the EeePC User forum. turns out this happens when you install the EeeStorage program in Windows 7. strange.

anyway, thanks for your help!

I'm having the same problem, along with tens of thousands of others, windows explorer is crashing INSTANTLY making the entire OS worthless. Why hasn't MS released a fix for this? Are people aware of the fact that this is happening to tens of thousands of people already? I want my money back!! The only "fix" for it doesn't work for me either which is to run: gpedit.msc yet nothing happens when I type it in!

Does this happen right after bootup? I've noticed Vista and Windows 7 to a much lesser degree seem to be vulnerable right after bootup for a short time while everything connects and updates. Or does this happen randomly?
Joe

Back