Windows Vista windows explorer keeps crashing

Re: vista ultimate - explorer.exe crashing, continuous cycle :(

it isnt a virus it is a glitch in vista, they have a hotfix on the microsoft website i know because i fixed my own computer which had the same problem,here is a link which will fix it

if this link didnt help you probably have these files corrupt msvcrt.dll or shell.dll and need to use your windows vista cd to repair it, if you obtained vista illegaly then you need to reinstall,and if you lost the installation file, you didnt here it from me but dont go to www.isohunt.com to redownload it, but no one here did

I had same issue on my IBM\Lenovo Thinkpad.

Problem was with 7-zip shell extension causeing my vista explorer to crash on a regular basics.

Provided by Lenovo System Migration Assistant Ver 5.

Found the issue with ShellExView 1.17, disabled extension, then uninstalled the System Migration Assistant application.

Andre

The IT Guys Ltd.

Explorer.exe crashing

I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed on a home built computer. Everything was running fine until a couple of weeks ago. Computer started acting up, slowing down to almost nothing and slowly getting worse until explorer.exe would crash giving an error message. Don't have the exact message in front of me now but it was a reference error. The computer would start up and load fine and within 5 min would freeze up. Running in safe mode wasn't a problem.

Couldn't get much done and couldn't detect problems so reinstalled vista. Took all night to reinstall but when it was finished it was running smoothly. This lasted only a few days before the problems started up again. Again you only have about 5 min before it freezes up. Running in safe mode doesnt seem to bring any problems.

Could this be a hardware issue at all (HD or Mem) or do I possibly have a trojan or other virus that has remained with the old files and has come back?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Re: Explorer.exe crashing

Hi! If it were me, I'd give it a free scan -NOD32. You said you built it yourself? Great, maybe you should give some info about components please. :) P.S. It would help to have the exact error message.....What kind of security do you have?

We have McAffee on there and had done a scan with no viruses or anything.

The install was a clean install.

Components:
MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4x1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

EVGA 256-P2-N541-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

We have gotten different versions of the same error message:

Explorer.exe instruction of 0x72bba0fd referenced memory at 0x72bba0fd required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000185. Failure-security options

and the same message with different numbers:

0x76da70 I/O error status of 0xc0000185

Thanks for the responses

Hi!! Have you got 3 GB Ram? You can check Ram loads when nothing is running- see how processor holds.... Many people say 3GB stops the problem for them. Also, there's some bad memory sticks going round, which also causes the problem. I've never had any bad memory sticks, so that is what I've heard. Sorry for slow response, computer down, due to excessive heat.

How do I check ram loads? Also, could the ram be the problem even if in safe mode there are no problems? I'm guessing that answer could be yes but I don't know enough about it to know.

When I built it I had 4 1gb sticks of ram--maybe this is part of the problem vista only registered 3gb. Maybe some/all of it is bad.

I also tried to run a hard drive diagnotisc tool. I used a Samsung one for the Samsung HD and it said it couldnt find a HD. Either way, I'm not sure what the problem is. I just know that a clean install of Vista solved the problem for a few days and then it crapped out without notice again.

This is my brother's computer. He is injured and cannot type so he has Dragon Naturally Speaking on there, but with it not running right he can't do his work so I'm hoping to figure it out sooner than later.

Thanks

I think you will find that it is a hard disk problem. The fault is reported very spasmodically on other sites, and usually come down to that. Run a hard disk diag tool.
This is Technet's reccomended procedure:
1. Click Computer.
2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4. Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.
NoteIf you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

Vista should be able to generate it's own memory tests. I've actually used the on board memory diagnostic tool. It made a nifty file, which I packaged up and shipped to HP. It also checks RAM.....Windows Vista: How to Scan / Test your RAM or Memory with Windows Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool | Shivaranjan.com There's a way to stabilize
I know vista will scan your ram, But if you have a PC that wont stay up long enough to run it it not worth much.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies. I will try some of these tonight. Hoping that its just a hardward problem whether its ram or HD. The one problem I might have though is running these tests since the comp wont stay up long enough.

If there are other suggestions let me know. I will check these ones out and let everyone know what happens.

Thanks Again.

I know vista will scan your ram, But if you have a PC that wont stay up long enough to run it it not worth much.:rolleyes:
He says he's alright in safe mode. I know they recommend a memory test should be done in normal..... Can it be done in safe mode??

That's why I suggested running memtest86. You unzip it and burn it to a CD and set PC to boot from CD,(runs in DOS) follow instructions and in just a little while you can find out whether or not your ram is bad.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Ran the hard drive tool in vista with the option to fix problems. It seems to be working now so it must have been something with the HD. Going to keep an eye on it but that's all that changed and haven't had any problems with it since.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and suggestions.

Back