Windows Vista Windows Vista...Like It Or Not

I tried the "Suppress and skip" thing and it is OK I've only had it lil' box pop up once to ask for permission...I can live with that. :D

Re: Windows Vista..Like It Or Not

Seriously, I wonder if there is any way to make that Tweak permanent ? So many people want to keep Defender and suppress the permissions. The permission thing was designed for a family with little kids and big offices with loads of employees. I might e-mail Tweak Vista and see what the pros say, the ideas great. Oh well, back to taxes--

Hey I found out what it does do..When you turn UAC back off the little red warning is not present in the notification area :D

You can get rid of that another way.. If you open the security centre you'll see down the left hand side the words 'change the way windows alerts me'. Click on that and you can stop all those annoying little shields in the taskbar.

Don't get me wrong I think the Tweakguide is a brilliant read, great to use as a reference guide but I don't totally agree with everything that this guy has written in there. Take yourself.. You like to run your rig a certain way and have definately the experience not to bugger it up. Now just because you've read the tweakguide I'm sure it's not going to be a life changing event for you.. But still you'll take from the guide what you need and ignore the rest (unless it's important and needs attention). With me I have certain start-up programs that the UAC/Defender hates and I have to go through this ritual of clicking lots of boxes to get them to run when the UAC is turned on... Laziness...? Definately! Will it turn my rig into something useless if I don't keep the UAC on.. I doubt it
The UAC really is designed for network enviroments or where you've got lots of 'rugrats' running around, so for me it'll stay turned off for now, but thats me, my decision and as for someone else the decision could be completely different...

(rant,rave,bla,bla)
Just take the soapbox from underneath me

Don't get me wrong I think the Tweakguide is a brilliant read, great to use as a reference guide but I don't totally agree with everything that this guy has written in there. Take yourself.. You like to run your rig a certain way and have definately the experience not to bugger it up. Now just because you've read the tweakguide I'm sure it's not going to be a life changing event for you.. But still you'll take from the guide what you need and ignore the rest (unless it's important and needs attention). With me I have certain start-up programs that the UAC/Defender hates and I have to go through this ritual of clicking lots of boxes to get them to run when the UAC is turned on... Laziness...? Definately! Will it turn my rig into something useless if I don't keep the UAC on.. I doubt it
The UAC really is designed for network enviroments or where you've got lots of 'rugrats' running around, so for me it'll stay turned off for now, but thats me, my decision and as for someone else the decision could be completely different...

(rant,rave,bla,bla)
Just take the soapbox from underneath me
I hear ya, I take some of what is in it with a grain of salt and I used to have the same issue with Internet Privacy Keeper (I love that program) before sp1 but sence the update I hardly ever get UAC to pop up now.:D

I was hoping that with the update (sp1) that my situation would improve also. If it wasn't for the hassle I mention above I'd run it no worries, I'm not against running it, just like an easy life..:cool:

I was thinking the same thing. After a bit of reading, now I don't know if it is safe to leave it off, or if it will drive nuts if I leave it on. Now, I just have to get Vista to boot again.

Hey Fatboy, just to get back to the UAC thing for a moment, I'd thought I'd include this article for amusement.. Although as you'll see it does have an element of truth:
washingtonpost.com

" Most importantly, when you're logged in as an Administrator, any Trojan horses, viruses, or other malware you unwittingly download will have free reign to attack your system with impunity. "
Neil McAllister
PC World

That is the part is that makes sense to me. I've had Trojans in my PC before and a well written one is almost imposable to get rid of. And I'm willing to put up with it for that bit of security. Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom