Windows 7 Windows wont let me save

Dan868

Hi all,
im new to this site and i dont usually do this sorta thing. However i am struggling a lot with this and it is causing me to stuggle doing course work.
When saving documents the Browse box that normally pops up wont. When i attempt to save in publisher it wont let me and comes up with the dialog box stating:
'windows is low on memory. To free up memory, save your work and close other programs; then continue working'.

The issue with this is not anymore programs than normal are running. This has been working fine for the past year and a half since i started using this computer

Computer specs are as followed:
intel i3
3gb ram
2gb on readyboost memory stick
running windows seven.
Asus laptop.
In excess of 30gb free on windows C drive.

I have tried increasing the page file and rebooting, as well as editing basic registry to stop windows memory issues alerting me- i have tried with and without these edits.

This has all had no effect and even when saving a blank document the same issue occurs.

I am running Office 2010 and i cannot seem to fix the issue. I have tried using word pad and sadly the same sort of thing happens. I have looked far and wide and any opinion or walk through to what i should do would be much appreciated!!

Any more questions just ask. I sadly have no restore points and the last thing i did before this happen was sync my ipod and patching files ready to download 3rd party themes. I have updated antivirus and have scanned recently for viruses.

thank you for replying,
i sadly use both ccleaner already and defraggler. i do this very regulary.

I also have tried with page file on automatic and on ~4000mb

im slightly concerned that it was working before until i ran ccleaner registry and installed a theme.

either of these could of caused something but i doubt it as its never been an issue before. After trying to merge my backup file i made for registry changes it would come up with an error saying error accessing the registry.

also some program will save such as photoshop
i am set as administrator

thanks again anyway

Last edited:
Try getting rid of your themes, auto syncing, customization, etc. Those really takes up a lot of system resources and drag the performance down specially if your system specs is not that really high to cope with everything going on in it.

also upon installing a free version of office- like libre office it stil doesnt work.. this is becoming difficult as i have course work due in on the end of the month...

i have changed themes back and restored the patches. do i need to take them out of resources??
I was actually suggesting that you unsinstall them. But before you do, create a restore point. So that if uninstalling them did not help (because probably of other cause of your problem), then you can restore them back easily.

im very confident that it has been since i deleted my registry files using Ccleaner as i did it last thing on a sunday and on monday its has several unexplained issues.. sadly my system restore point from before this is missing...

I have made a back up to registry files that where being deleted but when merging it would come up with an error saying
''cannot import {location}.reg: Error accessing the registry''

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this?

im very confident that it has been since i deleted my registry files using Ccleaner as i did it last thing on a sunday and on monday its has several unexplained issues.. sadly my system restore point from before this is missing...

I have made a back up to registry files that where being deleted but when merging it would come up with an error saying
''cannot import {location}.reg: Error accessing the registry''

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this?

Have you tried importing it on Safe Mode?

im about to do that now! i would be lost with out you so thanks very much!

Is there a good alternative to regedit.exe?? or is this unnessisary??

Ok it merged fine which is great, however sadly it doesn't seem to have any affect.. is there anything that i can repair or update that deals with the saving part of documents etc? like some sort of microsoft framework?

Hi

If you use CCleaner's registry cleaner you should have a bunch of backup registries saved.

You could look at restoring the registry using the built in utility in CCleaner for restoring their backups, to a point before you made the changes in it.

If nothing else works it may be time to do a repair install, (at least in Windows 7 you can still do this, not so with W8).
This should get everything back up and working in a half hour or so.

It will keep all your installed software and data but replace all of the Windows OS files and take you back to default settings like a freshly installed copy of Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

If you go this route print out the instructions and follow them exactly especially the part about how you chose to do the reinstall, you don't want to overwrite your C:\ drive.

Mike

what you once more everyone, i seriously appreciate it .
Luckily my 3 year old laptop lives on another day and is running like new once more

For anyone needing an answer to this issue i fixed it by booting it whilst holding F8 and accessing the repair tool.
Here i saw the check memory for errors. I did this and then rebooted. Upon rebooting i did a start up repair (like what you get if you dont shut down properly). It repaired something or other.

I dont know why what or how it fixed itself to be honest but i did also repaired all microsoft products that could of been related to office in any way.

After all this it works :S

Thanks

Dan :)

Back