Windows 10 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

>>>Hi John: Using the MCT tool from Microsoft website you'll need a minimum of an 8GB usb flash drive. When I first starting making W10 bootable flash drives; they only worked on a 16GB drive since they required just about 9GB of space. Since last year, the MCT tool will be able to create the W10 bootable flash drive on an 8GB drive. However, I still am only able to do it on a 16GB flash drive.:headache: An important thing to know. Also, you should be aware in a bug with the SanDisk Cruzer line of flash drives. They will not work with the Microsoft MCT tool and associated ISO file you download from the Microsoft site!! We've verified this problem on both W10 & W8.1. You have to use a non-SanDisk brand of usb drive in order to do this. We have tested so far on Verbatim and PNY with W10. FYI in case you go the USB drive route.<<<
>>>EDIT: Making the DVD disc using the MCT tool is vastly easier than making the USB bootable flash drive as you can see!<<<

Best, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I've asked a friend's help to download the files for me. Will 1 DVD be enough? The best way is to use the Windows MCT, right?

Basically yes. They are usually around 4.7GB which is enough for the iso.

Sounds good.

Still no dump file. Should I trigger another error? How do I trigger another error? It's gone after I freed up space on (C).

It's gone after I freed up space on
Do you mean the issue has stopped since making space on the C drive? In that case then it's very possible your issue stemmed from having a full HDD. As BBJ explained above you need at least 25% of free space for Windows to work effectively.

Do you mean the issue has stopped since making space on the C drive? In that case then it's very possible your issue stemmed from having a full HDD. As BBJ explained above you need at least 25% of free space for Windows to work effectively.

Oh no... I wanted to ask why the dump file was still important after the error disappeared?

I mentioned in my reply to BIGBEARJEDI that the error was gone after clearing up space.

I'm so sorry for wasting your time. :frown:

I have another question though. Should my page file be on (C) or (D)? Does having the page file be on the partition that does not contain the OS affect performance?

S**t... Nope. The problem is still there. Tried to open a video with Media Player Classic and got the error again. Tried to force MPC to open the file and got a BSOD and my PC restarted. Something about Driver IRQL Insufficient or something.

Then after it rebooted, I couldn't get past the login screen and my PC restarted again. It said Critical Service Failed or something. Then it got worse. Twice during booting up, everything just froze. So I had to suffocate my PC and start it up again. The 3rd attempt was successful and... here's the log file. There is a dump file this time.

Attachments

• JOHN-PC-Tue_12_07_2016__32416_78.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 253
The dump is indicating the crash is originating from an undocumented function in your graphics driver. igdkmd64.sys. Looking on the device driver page, it doesn't appear this laptop officially supports Windows 10.

And now the error is gone again after I removed the registry fix and rebooted my PC. Hmm...
>>>Hi John; weirdness there for sure. I think it's a combination of things including the fact that your laptop does not have W10 WHQL driver support. I also wondered at your statement about Windows Media Player Classic; that's not the Windows Media Player native to W10 (WMP) is it? If so, and it's an older WMP especially from an older computer such as XP or Vista that ran the Windows Media Entertainment Center edition of Windows, THAT program is definitely NOT compatible with W10 as publicly stated by Microsoft on many occasions.:noway: They have discontinued all support for that platform. Is the file you are trying to open with the MPC program a music file (if so, which format, .mp3, .mp4, .avi, etc.) or a movie file. It would help us to know that. I believe you may be trying to run an unsupported app in W10 that's long been discontinued. If you didn't download that app from the Internet or a Disc to install it, then why exactly are you using it? This certainly isn't the only problem with your system, but it would be helpful to know exactly what you're trying to do with this program.<<<

Best,:)
BBJ

The dump is indicating the crash is originating from an undocumented function in your graphics driver. igdkmd64.sys. Looking on the device driver page, it doesn't appear this laptop officially supports Windows 10.

What should I do then? Or what can I do? It's weird that I only have this problem now. I've been using W10 for many months.

>>>Hi John; weirdness there for sure. I think it's a combination of things including the fact that your laptop does not have W10 WHQL driver support. I also wondered at your statement about Windows Media Player Classic; that's not the Windows Media Player native to W10 (WMP) is it? If so, and it's an older WMP especially from an older computer such as XP or Vista that ran the Windows Media Entertainment Center edition of Windows, THAT program is definitely NOT compatible with W10 as publicly stated by Microsoft on many occasions.:noway: They have discontinued all support for that platform. Is the file you are trying to open with the MPC program a music file (if so, which format, .mp3, .mp4, .avi, etc.) or a movie file. It would help us to know that. I believe you may be trying to run an unsupported app in W10 that's long been discontinued. If you didn't download that app from the Internet or a Disc to install it, then why exactly are you using it? This certainly isn't the only problem with your system, but it would be helpful to know exactly what you're trying to do with this program.<<<

Best,:)
BBJ

I'm using the MPC version that comes with the K-Lite Codec Pack - K-Lite Codec Pack 12.2.6 Free Download.

I tried to open an .mp4 and then BSOD.

I think I'm going to try running Skyrim and see if my PC literally burns. Fingers crossed.

And again, I find it weird that I'm only having this problem now. Been using W10 for many months.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {98000000000, 2, 0, fffff80158b25621}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by : igdkmd64.sys ( igdkmd64+325621 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this error is caused by drivers using improper addresses.(usually) and looking through your drivers they do need updating.

I also notice your running Avast AV. This is known on occasion to cause the odd issue so we ask that you remove it and just use the onboard Defender during the period of troubleshooting.

I checked your system support page and unfortunately driver wise Dell isn't making any Windows 10 versions for your lappie:

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

See a list of tested products
Product Support | Dell US

However as you have two gpu systems you could always disable the Intel device and just use the AMD card.

You need to update these drivers:
This one gets a special mention:
dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Feb 21 09:49:36 2014: Daemon tools well known for causing issues in Windows

HECIx64.sys Wed Oct 20 00:33:43 2010: Intel Engine management

IntcDAud.sys Fri Oct 15 09:28:17 2010: Intel graphics media accelerator

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Dec 14 09:14:04 2010 Realtek Audio

Now you do have access to some Windows 8 drivers which is less of a leap to win 10 than 7. If you open the support page under windows 8, look under chipset and install the top two drivers for your lappie.
See if you can update the audio driver too.

Try running these scans too:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Post any new dump files.

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {98000000000, 2, 0, fffff80158b25621}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by : igdkmd64.sys ( igdkmd64+325621 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this error is caused by drivers using improper addresses.(usually) and looking through your drivers they do need updating.

I also notice your running Avast AV. This is known on occasion to cause the odd issue so we ask that you remove it and just use the onboard Defender during the period of troubleshooting.

I checked your system support page and unfortunately driver wise Dell isn't making any Windows 10 versions for your lappie:

However as you have two gpu systems you could always disable the Intel device and just use the AMD card.

You need to update these drivers:
This one gets a special mention:
dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Feb 21 09:49:36 2014: Daemon tools well known for causing issues in Windows

HECIx64.sys Wed Oct 20 00:33:43 2010: Intel Engine management

IntcDAud.sys Fri Oct 15 09:28:17 2010: Intel graphics media accelerator

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Dec 14 09:14:04 2010 Realtek Audio

Now you do have access to some Windows 8 drivers which is less of a leap to win 10 than 7. If you open the support page under windows 8, look under chipset and install the top two drivers for your lappie.
See if you can update the audio driver too.

Try running these scans too:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Post any new dump files.

Ok, I'll download them between 1am-7am (GMT +8) when I have a higher mobile data quota.

I think I'll uninstall Daemon Tools because I don't need it right now.

Ok John Thanks for the update. hope all goes well. Post back with any updates and please post any new dump files.

Yes it should do. I don't think there is a special removal tool and you just remove it as you normally would.

Back
Top Bottom