Windows 10 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Yes it should do. I don't think there is a special removal tool and you just remove it as you normally would.

Ok, here's what I did.

1) Downloaded the drivers you requested from here - Product Support | Dell US . I ran Dell System Detect to make sure I got the correct drivers.

2) I'm not sure if I installed the correct ones as you requested. I installed this - Intel Management Engine Interface Driver Driver Details | Dell US , and this - Intel HM67 Chipset Driver Driver Details | Dell US, and this - Realtek HD Audio ALC269 Driver Driver Details | Dell US .

3) I rebooted my PC. The boot up froze (the loading icon stopped spinning) so I had to restart my PC. After the login screen, there was another automatic Realtek installation and I had to reboot again. Boot up froze again. Restarted my PC.

4) Ran sfc/scannow. Found corrupt files but was unable to fix.

5) Ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

6) Ran sfc/scannow again. Still found corrupt files but was unable to fix.

Attached are the log files after I did step 6.

You mentioned a legacy driver for my Radeon card. Which one exactly should I download? I'm thinking about downloading all the Win 8 drivers over the weekend (I have a separate weekend mobile data quota) and then when I get the W10 ISO I'll reinstall W10 and install the new Win 8 drivers.

Or perhaps I should just go back to Win 7? :(

Attachments

• JOHN-PC-Wed_13_07_2016__55007_29.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
You mentioned a legacy driver for my Radeon card. Which one exactly should I download?
Sure
Legacy

As for Avast simply got to remove programs in the control panel and uninstall it.
Defender will automatically start up (or should)

Sure
Legacy

As for Avast simply got to remove programs in the control panel and uninstall it.
Defender will automatically start up (or should)

I'm headed out, will update you later.

But.. we still need to make sure this error doesn't reappear after I reinstall W10, right?

For the legacy driver, the one I should download is the Crimson Edition Beta, right?

Ok, uninstalled Avast. Hey, what antivirus do you recommend I use instead of Avast? Windows Defender?

Here's the new log files.

Windows Defender picked up a malware (see attachment). Oops.. Looks like my pirated version of Office has been exposed... :(

Ran a quick scan with Windows Defender and didn't detect anything else. Currently running a full scan.

Attachments

• JOHN-PC-Thu_14_07_2016__03637_23.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 278
  • 2016-07-13 (2).jpg
    2016-07-13 (2).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 270
Oh yeah, I removed the registry fix yesterday. Forgot to mention. Also uninstalled Daemon Tools.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {ffffe0012d9964c0, fffff800aedecc54, 0, d}

Unable to load image atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+cc54 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
Bugcheck 116 is when the driver tried to reset within a certain time frame and failed. Checking the driver date did you try the legacy driver yet?
If not please use the DDU to remove the older driver and install the legacy version.. :)
what antivirus do you recommend I use instead of Avast? Windows Defender?
Defender as it's very stable.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {ffffe0012d9964c0, fffff800aedecc54, 0, d}

Unable to load image atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+cc54 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
Bugcheck 116 is when the driver tried to reset within a certain time frame and failed. Checking the driver date did you try the legacy driver yet?
If not please use the DDU to remove the older driver and install the legacy version.. :)

Defender as it's very stable.

Hmm.. It's a big file. I'll wait for the weekend and use my weekend mobile data quota.

Nice job!
Windows 10 Defender apparently is almost a straight copy of Microsoft's server AV and is much better than previous incarnations.

Nice job!
Windows 10 Defender apparently is almost a straight copy of Microsoft's server AV and is much better than previous incarnations.

I've asked a friend to download all the Win8 drivers for my lappie as well as the Win10 ISO using MCT.

I've been getting the error even for applications set to choose the GPU "Based on power source". For example, the Windows Store. I've switched the setting for Windows Store to Power Saving to avoid the error.

Nice job!

My friend is having trouble with the Media Creation Tool. When he gets to the burning stage, it fails. He gets this message and he doesn't know what to do? (Personally I don't know what to do either. Seems to be a new thing in W10? Why do I have to choose how I want to treat an empty DVD?)

untitled.png

Can you guide us through all the steps please? The Windows 10 download web page instructions seem too simple.

Hmm.. Is the disk empty?
If not make sure you wipe it first by right clicking on the disk in the Computer page and then hitting format.

What I do is pop the DVD in the drive and if need be wipe it clean (I use re-writable disks), see above how it has a date for disk title, after you've wiped the disk there should be no disk title.

Ok now that the DVD is sorted out just leave it in the drive and navigate to the folder you have the iso stored in and right click on the iso itself:
burning.jpg

At the top you'll see 'burn disk image', click that and another box will appear:

iso.jpg

As you can see with the next box all you have to do is make sure the correct disk burner is chosen (some users have two). I also tick the little box to verify the recording or burn afterwards is running as it should.
Hope this helps.

So, just burn the ISO file onto a DVD?

I gave him a new box of 10 empty DVD+Rs. He said he is running Windows XP (but his screenshot looks like W10). Will there be that 'burn disk image' menu option in XP? Or I can just use any DVD burning software, right?

Will there be that 'burn disk image' menu option in XP?
Hmm.. I doubt it. As you say though there are lots of free apps which will help your friend to burn the iso off. If there's an option to set the speed of the burn, make sure it's no faster than 4x.

Regarding your Post #56: More importantly, John, what year was your friend's XP computer manufactured? You may not be aware, but Microsoft does not officially support W10 upgrades on XP, Vista, or older machines.o_O **ONLY CLEAN INSTALLS**. Specifically, if that computer was manufactured prior to 2005, it will NOT run W10 no matter what you do.:headache: It's hardware incompatibility at the CPU instruction level within the chip. Officially, Microsoft only guarantees W10 upgrade compatibility for upgraders who have Win7/8x on their computers. You will need to get your friend to identify the build date from the manufacturer's label on the case or bottom if it's a laptop, or by booting up and examining the BIOS, or assist them in doing so.

In most cases, if you or your friend run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST, which is part of the W10 install program, it will tell you if the hardware is too outdated to run. Generally, single core-Pentium or AMD processor chips do not play nice with W10 and will fail this test.:down: Some dual-core CPU chips also failed as I indicated if they were manufactured prior to 2005.:shocked: I have one XP machine made in 2006 with a dual-core Intel CPU chip that I was able to get to run on W10 after many many hours of effort.;) Due to that and other complication type factors, I am no longer taking in XP computers of any age to repair.:ohno:

Here's the link that gives you instrcutions on how to run the Compatibiltiy Test I mentioned:
Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

Good luc:encouragement:k,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Regarding your Post #56: More importantly, John, what year was your friend's XP computer manufactured? You may not be aware, but Microsoft does not officially support W10 upgrades on XP, Vista, or older machines.o_O **ONLY CLEAN INSTALLS**. Specifically, if that computer was manufactured prior to 2005, it will NOT run W10 no matter what you do.:headache: It's hardware incompatibility at the CPU instruction level within the chip. Officially, Microsoft only guarantees W10 upgrade compatibility for upgraders who have Win7/8x on their computers. You will need to get your friend to identify the build date from the manufacturer's label on the case or bottom if it's a laptop, or by booting up and examining the BIOS, or assist them in doing so.

In most cases, if you or your friend run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST, which is part of the W10 install program, it will tell you if the hardware is too outdated to run. Generally, single core-Pentium or AMD processor chips do not play nice with W10 and will fail this test.:down: Some dual-core CPU chips also failed as I indicated if they were manufactured prior to 2005.:shocked: I have one XP machine made in 2006 with a dual-core Intel CPU chip that I was able to get to run on W10 after many many hours of effort.;) Due to that and other complication type factors, I am no longer taking in XP computers of any age to repair.:ohno:

Here's the link that gives you instrcutions on how to run the Compatibiltiy Test I mentioned:
Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

Good luc:encouragement:k,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

But I only need him to download the W10 ISO for me to do a clean install of W10 on my PC? My laptop is about 5 years old I think. Came with Win7. Quad core CPU.

He's having trouble burning the ISO onto DVD. I don't know wtf is going on. Have to go to his house and check it out. Why does W10 ask if I want to use an empty DVD like a USB flash drive or to be read on CD/DVD player? This annoying thing wasn't on Win7. Can I just ignore this and burn my DVD like normal using burning software?

Back
Top Bottom