Windows 10 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

As I understood it all your wanting to do is burn the windows 10 iso onto DVD yes? If this is the case then xp may be fine especially if your using a third party application.
Interesting. Why?
Any faster than 4X and the process can be corrupted. No faster than 4x please.. :)

As I understood it all your wanting to do is burn the windows 10 iso onto DVD yes? If this is the case then xp may be fine especially if your using a third party application.

Any faster than 4X and the process can be corrupted. No faster than 4x please.. :)

I want to create a bootable W10 DVD to do a clean install on my lappie. I used to do it manually for WinXP but the Windows website said the best way to do it is to use the Media Creation Tool?

So, can I just burn the W10 ISO to a DVD and it'd be bootable?

My honest answer is I simply don't know. I've never tried using the creation tool with xp and I'd be interested to hear how things went. I doubt you can do any serious damage as it will either work or it won't work. Give it a try why not?

My honest answer is I simply don't know. I've never tried using the creation tool with xp and I'd be interested to hear how things went. I doubt you can do any serious damage as it will either work or it won't work. Give it a try why not?

I'm at my friend's house now copying the ISO to my HDD. Hopefully I can burn it using my lappie and create a bootable Win10 DVD.

I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I thought you were asking about upgrading your friend's XP computer to W10. And no, a regular CD burning program will not create a bootable W10 DVD disc. The other problem you may have, lot's of XP computers have only CD player drives, or CD writers, which cannot write DVD discs. Even if it says "DVD-ROM" on the outside of the drive tray bezel, that means it only can read/write CD discs, and play DVD discs such as movies, but cannot write a DVD disc. You'd need a different optical drive we call a DVD-writer drive to do that. Again, if you can look at your friend's computer and identify the year made we can help you further on that. You can also take a picture of the front of the Optical drive with your smartphone camera and post back here and we can tell you for sure if it will work.

The other problem you have is that copying the ISO file to the HDD won't work; you need to use a special program to do that with ISO files as it has to decompress the data from the single ISO file and restructure it on a DVD disc format or on a USB stick. The Microsoft MCT (Media Creation Tool) normally does this, however as kemical said we don't know if the MCT program will work on a computer that old or not. The other tool you can try once you have the W10 ISO file downloaded on the XP computer is the free IMGBURN program you can get here:
The Official ImgBurn Website
I know that you can create both W10 32bit and 64bit ISO files with IMGBURN on W7 and W8x. So, you can try this too. If the MCT tool and the IMGBURN both fail to create a bootable DVD disc on your friend's computer, chances are it's too old or it simply doesn't have an Optical DVD-writer drive. At that point, you can go to your local computer store and pay them to make you a W10 DVD disc or a USB drive. Creating the USB drive is much trickier, and I also don't know whether that can be done on an XP computer either.

It's worth a try--if both programs do not work and you get frustrated, you can simply ring up the manufacturer of your computer and purchased W10 install media (DVD or USB) for $29-$99 and have them ship it to you. If they don't have W10 then the W7 you said came on your Dell Inspiron N4110 laptop originally. From there you can do the free upgrade to W10, until July 29th 2016. And the factory Recovery Media they send you will have all the drivers for your specific hardware, as well as all the programs that were on that computer when you originally purchased it. That should get you up and running.:up:

BBJ

And no, a regular CD burning program will not create a bootable W10 DVD disc. The other problem you may have, lot's of XP computers have only CD player drives, or CD writers, which cannot write DVD discs. Even if it says "DVD-ROM" on the outside of the drive tray bezel, that means it only can read/write CD discs, and play DVD discs such as movies, but cannot write a DVD disc. You'd need a different optical drive we call a DVD-writer drive to do that. Again, if you can look at your friend's computer and identify the year made we can help you further on that. You can also take a picture of the front of the Optical drive with your smartphone camera and post back here and we can tell you for sure if it will work.

CD's are only around 700mb last time I looked so it has to be a DVD regardless.

Thanks for the link, Master Bear.

I managed to create a bootable Win10 DVD. I hope the ISO I used wasn't corrupted.

Good luck John!

I uninstalled my video driver with DDU and installed the Crimson Edition Beta. Now I can't run Skyrim, the error keeps popping up. Previously I could.

Sigh.. what should I do now? Attached are some new log files. There doesn't seem to be any new dump file. The latest one is from 13/7/16.

Maybe it really is a hardware problem?

Should I try a clean reinstall of Windows 10? I'll need to put that on hold until I have enough internet quota to download the programs I need after reinstalling Windows 10. I used up all my 1.25GB weekend quota within a few hours. Sigh.

Or maybe I should go back to Windows 7? But then things wouldn't be in sync with my Windows Phone. Sigh....

I really don't understand why this is happening now. I've been using Windows 10 for about half a year without this issue?

Also, for some reason, Edge browser has become really slow after installing the Crimson Edition Beta video driver.

I think the 1st thing I'm going to do is update my BIOS. Is that recommended?

Attachments

• JOHN-PC-Sat_16_07_2016__52058_36.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:
the error keeps popping up.
'the error'? Can you be more precise?

As your already aware no change in bugcheck:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {ffffe0012d9964c0, fffff800aedecc54, 0, d}

Unable to load image atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+cc54 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
normally in this situation we/I would advise you use the gpu driver found on the support page although as your aware driver support stops at Windows 8.
IntcDAud.sys Fri Oct 15 09:28:17 2010: Intel graphics media accelerator, part of the Intel graphics driver and needs updating.
Intel® Driver Update Utility
I've been using Windows 10 for about half a year without this issue?
Unfortunately just because the machine ran without error for 6 months doesn't really mean a great deal.

Dell do not have any plans on Driver support for your model and therefore I cannot recommend you doing a clean install with Windows 10.

I would go back to the operating system you were using before and see if the issue still occurs

Thanks for the link, Master Bear.

I managed to create a bootable Win10 DVD. I hope the ISO I used wasn't corrupted.
>>>Hi John: You're very welcome! Glad to help.:up: Well, me too. I can't remember where did you download the W10 ISO file from? I mean what source or website? You should have gotten it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
This is the most RELIABLE place to get it. Several of us have alternate sites and they too work. But getting it from this Microsoft page is always the best when you have W10 app or driver compatibility issues.<<<

I uninstalled my video driver with DDU and installed the Crimson Edition Beta. Now I can't run Skyrim, the error keeps popping up. Previously I could.
>>>I can't speak to either of these apps, as I've never heard of them and I've been doing this for decades. I think the question that I would ask is that since the apps ran on your old W7 setup, did you go to those 2 software maker's websites and check to see if BOTH apps are W10 compatible? More than that, how does the W10 run other than those 2 apps no longer working. Does W10 login to your MS app store account ok? You have a laptop, does it connect to your Internet via wifi ok? Does the Internet work? (besides the Edge issue) That could be a separate problem. Hopefully, the W10 worked Ok prior to installing those 2 failing apps, eh?<<<

Sigh.. what should I do now? Attached are some new log files. There doesn't seem to be any new dump file. The latest one is from 13/7/16.
>>>I'm in agreement with kemical, which is often the case! You should uninstall, do a reversion back to W7 that came with the laptop. Or alternatively you can give it to the kids or grandkids and let them play Frisbee with it in the backyard, and buy a brand new laptop with W10 pre-loaded from the factory that has built-in support at the hardware level for W10!! Brand new Dell laptops start at about $229 for the stripped down basic model with no DVD and minimal RAM and Hard Drive. <<<
Maybe it really is a hardware problem?
>>>I think it's a hardware compatibility problem, which is what kemical is telling you. If you have access to another working W10 machine, have you tried installing the 2 apps (Crimson Edition Beta and Skyrim) on that computer? Do they work correctly? If they do, then those 2 software companies did write their code correctly for W10 or perhaps did an update tweak prior to you downloading the program for W7 (unlikely as that would have been 6 years ago). But we don't know the exact date you downloaded or purchased these 2 apps and installed them; that could have been a month ago or a year ago. This is a very telling test! As if both the apps work on another computer, that means your upgrade to W10 was done improperly or with a faulty ISO W10 source file as you wondered.:waah: If the apps fail to work on another W10 machine, then it's very likely those apps simply aren't compatible to W10, and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR DELL W10 UPGRADE!!<<<

Should I try a clean reinstall of Windows 10? I'll need to put that on hold until I have enough internet quota to download the programs I need after reinstalling Windows 10. I used up all my 1.25GB weekend quota within a few hours. Sigh.
>>>I think you could do that, but if it's incompatibility at the app level, you could be doing W10 clean installs for months to try and figure this problem out. :furious: You need to check the apps at the app maker's websites or call them up and ask them!! If that's not possible because they are both fly-by-night outfits , you might have to consider abandoning them for use on W10 as they may either both be out of business, or they just have no support if you can't get an answer to this simple question!:waah: Checking them on a known working W10 computer is the best way to deterermine this if they have no W10 support or they just are too flaky to have a phone number and only offer support via E-mail. Sounds like reinstalls at this point are pointless, unless you buy a brand new hard drive and do the W10 clean install on that. Next best thing to try after checking to see if the apps run properly on a different working W10 computer.;)<<<

Or maybe I should go back to Windows 7? But then things wouldn't be in sync with my Windows Phone. Sigh....
>>>You could. I'd ditch the Windows Phone and move to Android or iPhone. If you move back to W7, be aware that Microsoft has already announced end-of-life for that OS version in 2020 so that machine will only have 4 years of life left, even if you go back to the W7.:skull: W10 EOL is anticipated in 2024 or thereabouts. 4 more years. That's quite a bit of time you have left on the W7.<<<

I really don't understand why this is happening now. I've been using Windows 10 for about half a year without this issue?
>>>We don't really know what else you've done with that laptop, or what other apps you've installed on it; so there is no explanation for that. If your 2 apps in question ran ok on W10 on that laptop for 6 months, it could have been a fluke as kemical said. We see that often. The real way to tell is to check the app maker's website for support or call them up. If they say no support for W10, then chances are you were just lucky until MS or AV updates may have corrupted something in your windows system files or your drivers or the registry and killed it. That's why the ultimate test is loading those 2 apps on a different W10 computer. The problem there is they may work for 6 months on that other computer, and if it's not yours and you can't keep it for >6 mos. then you'll never know. <<<

Also, for some reason, Edge browser has become really slow after installing the Crimson Edition Beta video driver.
>>>Not surprising; Edge doesn't react well with poorly written code from other apps. Again, it's a Best video driver so that means it's buggy by nature and NOT guaranteed to work (read the fine print from Crimson's website in their license agreement). Beta drivers mean iffy performance and can crap out at any time since they are still undergoing testing and refinement.:scratch:<<<

I think the 1st thing I'm going to do is update my BIOS. Is that recommended?
>>>Yes, that's often recommended. But only if you have done it before on an older computer and understand how to do it. THAT PROCEDURE IS EXTREMELY HIGH RISK AND IF YOU MAKE EVEN 1 MISTAKE, IT COULD RESULT IN A BRICKED MOTHERBOARD!! REPAIRS FOR A DELL LAPTOP LIKE YOURS COULD BE $275-$600!! :noway::cash::wound:
If you've never done a BIOS upgrade I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, but rather pay a licensed Computer Tech at a reputable computer store such as Best Buy Geek Squad to do for you. They will even come out to your house and do it! Probably over 95% of my Clients who attempt this botch it and results in a non-functioning computer or worse they brick their Mobo. It requires expert level skill and knowledge to do. Enough said!<<<

Hope that helps you out, Man!

BBJ

Sorry, Ross.:redface: Perhaps I should have made a more succinct statement about the fact that his friend's computer had to have DVD burning capability with the optical drive installed in order to make the W10 boot disc. Just trying to help...

BBJ

Apologies Marc when I wrote the above it was early morn and I'd yet to drink my coffee which always brings me back into the land of the living and thinking too.. :)

No worries, Ross! I get that. certainly didn't mean to offend or anything. sometimes I over-explain stuff--comes from being a Teacher I think. And not enough coffee at my end! :brew: :ahaha:

where did you download the W10 ISO file from?

My friend downloaded it using the Windows Media Creation Tool but he couldn't burn it onto DVD. Maybe like you said, the MCT doesn't work well on Windows XP. I copied the ISO to my external HDD and used my laptop to burn it onto DVD using IMGBURN.

I've never heard of them?

Whaaaat? You've never heard of Skyrim? It's the 5th installment in the Elder Scrolls role playing videogame. I was able to run it a few days ago before installing the Crimson Edition Beta video driver.

Everything else is working fine.

buy a brand new laptop with W10 pre-loaded from the factory that has built-in support at the hardware level for W10

Sigh. I think so too. But there's no need to turn my laptop into a Frisbee yet. At the very least I can still use it for basic browsing, etc. Also, at the moment it's working okay. I tried installing a few other driver versions. They couldn't install properly so I went back to the Beta driver and so far things are mostly fine.

But we don't know the exact date you downloaded or purchased these 2 apps and installed them; that could have been a month ago or a year ago.

I played Skyrim a few years ago when my laptop was still running Windows 7. I modified the game too much and it became unplayable. Earlier this year, after upgrading to Windows 10, I decided to reinstall Skyrim and play the game from the beginning again. It was working okay but I haven't played it for a few months. The Beta driver I only installed yesterday or the day before after kemical's recommendation.

I'd ditch the Windows Phone

But I like my Windows Phone. :( Despite what people say about lack of apps, I actually have most of the apps I need. I also like how my phone is in sync with my Windows 10 laptop. One cool feature is how my laptop can detect that I'm using my phone's mobile connection so it limits internet usage like pausing Windows Updates. If I use an Android phone my mobile internet quota would be used up really fast since Windows Updates can't be paused in Windows 10.

Sure, Windows 10 Mobile has its bugs but I had a very bad experience with Android 4. I heard Android 6 is better now but I'd have to give up things like Live Tiles. I'm also worried about rooting an Android phone just to get to the settings that manufacturers have blocked out. Microsoft doesn't do this stupid thing with the settings that I want to get to. I'm actually thinking about upgrading from my Lumia 535 to a Lumia 650.

chances are you were just lucky until MS or AV updates may have corrupted something in your windows system files or your drivers or the registry and killed it.

I think so too. This error only started appearing after my last round of Windows Updates on 23/6/16. Can I write to Microsoft about this issue? Will they do anything?

THAT PROCEDURE IS EXTREMELY HIGH RISK AND IF YOU MAKE EVEN 1 MISTAKE, IT COULD RESULT IN A BRICKED MOTHERBOARD!!

Yeah, on 2nd thought, I don't want to brick my PC. I don't think it's necessary to update my BIOS anyway. It's just that the Dell website recommended it for me.

'the error'?

This one.

2016-07-06 (2).jpg

Screen goes black for a few seconds then this message pops up.

The truth is, I've had a history of problems with this Radeon card. I think a few years back I tried updating the driver to try getting better performance on Skyrim but the newer driver didn't work properly. The only stable driver for this card is the one that came installed when I bought it.

I had the idea of uninstalling the Beta driver and installing the latest official release but it wouldn't install properly. Normally the installation would take a few minutes, right? When I tried installing the driver, it finished in only a few seconds and said it was done. But obviously it wasn't installed properly because the AMD settings program wasn't installed.

So I tried installing the original driver (I ran Display Driver Uninstaller first) that came with the laptop but same thing, couldn't install properly. This time it was worse, the screen resolution didn't change at all which usually happens when installing display drivers. Is this a compatibility issue? Should I try installing this driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

So I ran DDU again and tried the last working driver which was the Beta. Surprisingly, so far it's okay. Haven't gotten the error yet so far. I can run Skyrim again but it lags...:( But I guess it's fine.. I'm not playing Skyrim at the moment anyway. The Beta driver locked the setting for Media Player Classic to use the onboard Intel card so I guess that's fine too because the Intel card seems capable of playing back HD videos. So that's fine. Only issue is, now this error pops up.

2016-07-16.jpg

Sigh.. what is the point of Microsoft offering free Windows 10 upgrades if it won't work properly? Truth is, when I first upgraded to Windows 10, things were really buggy. Applications took forever to load, sometimes the taskbar became unresponsive, random reboots. But after a few rounds of updates, things worked fine... until now. :(

So, anyway, it looks like I have nothing to lose by trying a clean reinstall of Windows 10, right? One last ditch effort before admitting defeat and going back to Windows 7? Or I could just live with this bug and enjoy the synchronisation between my phone and laptop plus the Windows 10 apps not available on Windows 7?

I just wondered why we got a lecture on CD's?

Lol the sales guy at the tech store gave me an unnecessary explanation of what DVDs are. Explained to me what dual layer discs are, what RW discs are. He talked so much I forgot to ask him how much the price of a dual layer disc is? But I guess it's unnecessary. Don't need a dual layer disc for the Windows 10 ISO.

Last edited:
I'm really confused why Dell lists a Radeon HD 7xxx series driver for my laptop on their support page[/QUOTE

It is a bit odd that's true. I've done a little checking to see if the 6 series gpu got rebadged as a 7 series as happens sometimes but nothing came up after some searching so I'm unsure .

Back