Windows 10 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Is it possible for me to install the original Windows 7 video driver by using compatibility mode? Will it work?
Usually not no..

I would hazard that probably the fastest way to see if your machine has a true issue or it's simply down to Win10 is to install Windows 7 again. If everything runs like clockwork then you know the issue was probably down compatibility issues.

Usually not no..

I would hazard that probably the fastest way to see if your machine has a true issue or it's simply down to Win10 is to install Windows 7 again. If everything runs like clockwork then you know the issue was probably down compatibility issues.

Once I'm back to Windows 7, how do I test if my machine has an issue? Trigger the error? How?

Man.. I'm looking at buying a new phone. I can get a good discount at this web store - Lazada.com.my: Online Shopping Malaysia - Mobiles, Tablets, Home Appliances, TV, Audio & More, but only if I use the web store's app, which is only available on Android and iOS. I thought if I could emulate Android on my PC, I'd eliminate the need for these Android apps that I rarely use. But now it seems it's easier if I just borrow an Android phone or an iPhone.

Have you tried Windows 10 Mobile? Which would you recommend? Android 6 or W10M? iOS is out of the picture. Way out of budget.

But I think, Android 6 phones are expensive, right?

Usually not no..

Hey, I'm trying to clean install Windows 7. There's 4 partitions and I'm not sure what to do. I've already deleted the Windows partition but I'm not sure what to do with the OEM and RECOVERY partitions.
T8FbXl1.jpg

Once I'm back to Windows 7, how do I test if my machine has an issue? Trigger the error? How?
Well you shouldn't have to trigger anything really, as long as Windows runs as it should without issue then that's a good enough test.

Man.. I'm looking at buying a new phone. I can get a good discount at this web store - Lazada.com.my: Online Shopping Malaysia - Mobiles, Tablets, Home Appliances, TV, Audio & More, but only if I use the web store's app, which is only available on Android and iOS. I thought if I could emulate Android on my PC, I'd eliminate the need for these Android apps that I rarely use. But now it seems it's easier if I just borrow an Android phone or an iPhone.

Have you tried Windows 10 Mobile? Which would you recommend? Android 6 or W10M? iOS is out of the picture. Way out of budget.

But I think, Android 6 phones are expensive, right?
Sorry bud, your asking the wrong man.. :) I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to phones.

Hey, I'm trying to clean install Windows 7. There's 4 partitions and I'm not sure what to do. I've already deleted the Windows partition but I'm not sure what to do with the OEM and RECOVERY partitions.

Personally I'd delete the lot and then simply click next. Windows will recreate these partitions anew (well not all as win 7 doesn't use as many partitions as win 10).

Well you shouldn't have to trigger anything really, as long as Windows runs as it should without issue then that's a good enough test.

Bad news. :( Looks like it is a hardware issue. Instead of a pop up error message, I get a BSOD and reboot on Windows 7.

I set Media Player Classic to use the Radeon card and I get BSOD. I set it back to use the onboard Intel card and it's ok again.

What can I do now? Disable the Radeon card? How do I do that? Where would I find the driver for the onboard Intel card alone? Currently the AMD software provides the drivers for both cards.

Sigh...

Sorry bud, your asking the wrong man.. :) I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to phones.

Hahaha, ok.

I set Media Player Classic to use the Radeon card and I get BSOD. I set it back to use the onboard Intel card and it's ok again.
Can you post the dump files John please.

Let's have a quick look before deciding on the next move.

Can you post the dump files John please.

Let's have a quick look before deciding on the next move.

For a moment there I forgot the settings to get the dump file lol.

Here you go. Fingers crossed. Hope you find something meaningful.

Attachments

• JOHN-PC-Mon_07_18_2016_162439_31.zip
    194.2 KB · Views: 234
Currently the AMD software provides the drivers for both cards.
Hmm... I doubt it. The drivers will be separate.

The dump file is another Bugcheck116 so it does indeed look like the Radeon gpu has an issue. You might be able to disable it via the bios or pop along to Device manager and uninstall the device from the system (do make sure your running off the other graphics engine first).

Try this driver for the Intel graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Driver Driver Details | Dell US

What I meant was, when I install the Radeon driver, the installer installs the Intel graphics driver too. Thanks for the link.

I don't understand this part?

(do make sure your running off the other graphics engine first).

What do you mean? Make sure the Intel graphics engine is installed first?

Hmm... I doubt it. The drivers will be separate.

The dump file is another Bugcheck116 so it does indeed look like the Radeon gpu has an issue. You might be able to disable it via the bios or pop along to Device manager and uninstall the device from the system (do make sure your running off the other graphics engine first).

Try this driver for the Intel graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Driver Driver Details | Dell US

I can't find the BIOS setting to disable the Radeon card.

If I uninstall the Radeon card through Device Manager, I cannot set my screen's resolution to the correct 1366x768. Also, the Catalyst Control Center software goes haywire. The same thing happens if I just disable the Radeon card.

So, I tried Display Driver Uninstaller and then I tried installing the driver you recommended - [URL='http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PTRYM&fileId=2974430104&osCode=W764&productCode=inspiron-14r-n4110&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI']Intel HD Graphics 3000 Driver Driver Details | Dell US, but the installer says I don't have the necessary hardware.
can't install.jpg
[/URL]

Windows simply recommends a Standard VGA Adapter driver which doesn't work well. I still can't set the correct screen resolution.

I just had a thought, if I disable the Radeon card, will I still be able to use my HDMI port?

(do make sure your running off the other graphics engine first).

I'm still confused about this part. How should I do it? Run Display Driver Uninstaller then install the Intel video driver then uninstall the Radeon?

Damn.. my sister's laptop which has a lower spec can run Bluestacks while I'm getting BSODs.

I'm still confused about this part. How should I do it? Run Display Driver Uninstaller then install the Intel video driver then uninstall the Radeon?
Why the confusion?
You cannot try and remove the Radeon driver until you know the Intel gpu is working correctly so yes run the DDU, install and see if the driver works.
As I said above let's just see if we can get the intel gpu working properly first.

How odd! The only other Intel gpu driver is this one:
Intel HD Graphics, HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphic, v.8.15.10.2342, A06 Driver Details | Dell US
When it comes time to run the install try right clicking on the driver, choose properties and run as administrator.

You may have a setting in the bios which determines which gpu solution is used first. If there is such a setting try changing it so that Intel is the first gpu.

Couldn't install either. All 3 drivers you recommended, ran as administrator, said I didn't have the hardware.

I can't find the BIOS setting. That's why I wanted to update my BIOS. But I don't want to brick my PC.

Office Lens_20160719_170028_processed.jpg
Office Lens_20160719_170211_processed.jpg
Office Lens_20160719_170236_processed.jpg
Office Lens_20160719_170257_processed.jpg
Office Lens_20160719_170403_processed.jpg
Office Lens_20160719_170433_processed.jpg

How odd! The only other Intel gpu driver is this one:
Intel HD Graphics, HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphic, v.8.15.10.2342, A06 Driver Details | Dell US
When it comes time to run the install try right clicking on the driver, choose properties and run as administrator.

You may have a setting in the bios which determines which gpu solution is used first. If there is such a setting try changing it so that Intel is the first gpu.

Great.. after a few System Restores I can't open the Catalyst software to change which GPU I use. The Log Collector gives me a BSOD. Luckily, after the reboot I was able to run Log Collector without problems.

Here's another 2 dump files. 1 crash happened this afternoon for no reason after boot up. The 2nd one happened just now when I tried to run Log Collector.

Attachments

• JOHN-PC-Tue_07_19_2016_180238_01.zip
    321.7 KB · Views: 216
Hi John,
for some reason your dump files are causing the debugger to crash. Please run these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Please just check your settings are as they should be:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Back