Windows 10 Laptop gets unresponsive randomly when using a bluetooth speaker

ghosted

Hello there,

I'm using a Windows 10 laptop (Asus R510V) that I bought about 2 or 3 months ago. Everything was working fine, but a couple of weeks ago, Windows started to get unresponsive randomly when using a new bluetooth speaker I got for Christmas. Every time it happens, the programs start get unresponsive (I can minimize/maximize them, but nothing else), and I have no other choice than pushing the power button to turn the system off.

I disabled the bluetooth function, and the problem disappeared, so the only explanation is that the bluetooth and/or the bluetooth speakers were causing this.

Does anyone have a clue on how to solve this so I can keep using the speakers without issues? BTW, I have used the speakers on a Linux install on the same laptop, and the problem hasn't happened there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Does it lock up completely mouse, keyboard,video and audio lock up, or does it just become slow? Can you watch resource usage and see if you have significant spikes in one or more resource?

You may also want to check the integrity of Windows and the filesystem with

chkdsk /r C: will require a reboot

and

sfc /scannow

Hi Neemobeer, thanks for your reply.

It doesn't lock up completely; I can still move the mouse around, bring the Windows menu, minimize and maximize programs, etc., but the system doesn't respond to pretty much anything I do. If I try to close a program, it doesn't close. If I press Shutdown or Reboot, I'm taken out of the desktop environment and a blue screen appears saying the system is shutting down, but it doesn't do anything else, so I have to press the power button.

The resources monitor shows spikes for a software I use for work (Trados Studio 2015) and for Google Chrome, but I can't close them when this happens.

I think this may be due to a faulty bluetooth driver, since it only happens when I'm using the bluetooth speaker (it happens randomly, but it usually happens about 1 or 2 hours after I activate the bluetooth and start using the speaker).

I will try the commands you posted and I'll also upgrade the bluetooth driver to see if the problem disappears. I'll keep you posted.

Regards.

I tried chkdsk, but I couldn't see if it returned errors because the laptop rebooted after some hours (I was not in front of it). I also tried sfc, and it said all problems had been fixed.

BTW, do you know how to determine the exact model of the bluetooth chip? It seems the laptop's manufacturer doesn't have the drivers on their website anymore, so I will have to look somewhere else.

Hi Ghosted,

Go to your device manager, go to the properties of the Bluetooth adapter, go to the details tab and change the property to "Hardware IDS". Copy and paste the first value into google and it will display the driver name and some locations you can download it from.

Hi Luke13TH, thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion, but didn't find any official website from the manufacturer offering drivers, so I used the "Update driver" option within the device manager to upgrade the driver. So far it's working, but it's been only 2 hours since I upgraded the driver, so I will need to test longer to see if it works 100%.

I'll let you know about my results.

Best regards.

Back
Top Bottom