Windows 7 My browser(s) stop working after a while

Ok I'm back!
Sorry for the late responce but I couldn't get back on this webpage the whole afternoon yesterday. Dunno why...ALL the other webpages opened normally, save this one.
Ok so I woke up today and my net was dead again, so was really a deppresing site to see...Even though my girlfriend's laptop was turned off the whole night (however i don't know when my comp froze, because she came to bed a little later..). Yesterday I turned off the bonjour and the computer browser services (disabled them) and still this problem persists. Today my laptop couldn't even connect to the internet anymore (via the wire), so I had to connect via my wireless router to get access to internet. If I troubleshoot the wired connection it just says that I have problems with my broadband modem and should restart it (however my gf's laptop has normal internet connection so how could it be the modem....).

So I still don't quite get the router "interference" part...if my linksys router is plugged in the modem's internet outlet #1 and has a 192.168.0.1 setting and the other is plugged in my modem's outlet #2 with it's ip set to 192.168.1.1 (the other one has no wireless options), they can still interfere with one another?

What could be the next steps for me to try cuz i'm really quite out of ideas here? :(
Thank you for your replies/ideas!

So I was successfuly online for an hour or two via wireless, but I still got disconected. I disabled wifi, plugged the cable back inside and reset the network adapter and i'm back online (so first time without a reboot). However it only laster like a minute untill I got another disconnect and now nothing helped...had to reboot....so I'm back at square one ;(

I don't quite understand how the laptops could still be in a war if one is connected to router 1 and the second to router 2? and the routers having their separate ip's (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1)?
Could it still be a computer browser master war issue? If yes, how can I turn this off (besides disabling the computer browser service) and what would be the next steps to take?
If no, then what could be causing the issue? the routers messing up one another? should I go just with 1 router or make the second router just an access point connected on the first router?

Tnx for the replies!

So I was successfuly online for an hour or two via wireless, but I still got disconected. I disabled wifi, plugged the cable back inside and reset the network adapter and i'm back online (so first time without a reboot). However it only laster like a minute untill I got another disconnect and now nothing helped...had to reboot....so I'm back at square one ;(

I don't quite understand how the laptops could still be in a war if one is connected to router 1 and the second to router 2? and the routers having their separate ip's (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1)?
Could it still be a computer browser master war issue? If yes, how can I turn this off (besides disabling the computer browser service) and what would be the next steps to take?
If no, then what could be causing the issue? the routers messing up one another? should I go just with 1 router or make the second router just an access point connected on the first router?

Tnx for the replies!

Your logic is sound. The master browser issue should not be a problem, with that setup and I would assume that you're not seeing any recent events regarding it in the event viewer. But let's see if we can isolate it even further. Yes let's take the other router out of the equation for now. It's probably not the culprit, but for now let's just eliminate it from the network and concentrate on a single computer (yours) and a single router (the GigLan). First try booting into safemode with networking by tapping the F8 key as the computer boots and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away then we can assume that their is an issue with some third party software, or non- microsoft services starting at boot time that is causing the problem. Then we can start trying to diagnose which one could be causing the problem.

Can I make a copy of the logs in the event viewer so I could send it here somehow?

I've done like you said. I unpluged linksys out of the power outlet. I rebooted in safemode with networking (can I run bitcomet?) and pluged the laptop on the asus router. Now we wait again :)

Thanks for the advice! :)

Hold off on "BitComet", if you want to test just browse to fancast and watch some TV, or try a reasonably large download from Microsoft or somewhere else.

The reason I don't want to use BitComet is I just want to keep any running apps to a minimum. Just Microsoft stuff if at all possible, since you're having problems with IE8, we'll use that and the New Office 2010 beta should provide a decent size download for testing. Also on both machines for now open services.msc and stop the computer browser service and set it to manual for now.

I didn't and won't start any programs. It's a fresh reboot in idle. All i'm doing is downloading msoffice10beta. I disabled the computer browser on both laptops.

Now i'm idle and waiting :)

OK, I'll be in and out for the next while....some serious snow shoveling to do. Keep us posted.

oh p.s. I'm not having problems with IE8. I'm having problems with Mozilla and IE8. Both stop working when net fails.

Is it snowing there as well? We got like 20cm of it in the last 2 days here in Slovenia..total kaos..car crashes and such..:D

i downloaded the office file 2 times now already. I don't think the stress percentage of the net has any effect on my problem or on the frequency of it. I was running bitcomet with like 400kb-1mbps downspeed all the time untill the fresh restart earlier.

I went to check the event log viewer just now and found like a million errors...I'm thinking they are probably because of the safe mode reboot that's preventing the machine to run all it's needed components and such?
Although....everytime that my problem occurs, I get the warning DNS Client Events ID: 1014 with all the texts like: Name resolution for the name messenger.hotmail.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I would really love to get this event log uploaded up to here somehow...I think that it would provide a lot of information to a "well-trained eye"...Is there any way to do that?

The bunch of the other errors are mainly;

Perhaps this is an interesting one: ID: 194
The description for Event ID 194 from source AtcL001 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP4
Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Service control manager ID: 7001
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.
or
The PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator service depends on the Function Discovery Provider Host service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

DistributedCOM ID: 10005
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service MDM with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}

DCOM ID: 10016
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
and APPID
{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

*update

up untill now i had no problems in the safemode. The internet is still working. I'm not doing much on the computer, however, it's more or less idle. It's been 3 or 4 hours now. I'll leave it like that untill tomorrow to be sure.

Last edited:
update #2:

'Key so got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that it's definetley not a router interference issue, because the router was turned off the whole time and the problem still reocured.
The bad news is that I restarted it in normal mode (I know I'm sorry I'm only human:p) and after a while it still recured.
So I'm going to bed now and i'll leave the computer in safe mode running absolutely nothing. I'll turn off my gf's computer first, then i'll restart mine in safemode with networking and leave it on through the night. Will post the result tomorrow.

However, both laptops had the computer browser service on disabled, because I did put it on manual and turned it off like u said, but it autostarted itself again after a short while, so I just disabled it and the net still failed..
Is there really no way to retrieve the event logs and put them up here somehow?

We don't have to turn this into a Test your patience type marathon. The question is, did your experience in safemode with networking last long enough to have, under a normal boot, caused your problem to reoccur. If the answer to that question is yes, then I would think that we can assume that there is an issue with either some startup programs or non-microsoft services starting that's causing this. If the answer is no, then you should have tested safe mode with networking longer. You really need to stop looking at the event view when in safe mode. Most of those issues are almost certainly produced by being in safemode. Wait till we're booting in normal mode and then clear the event viewer and reboot and if some of the errors occur we can address them if you want.

So it's been 8+ hours now and the net is working normally in safe mode. However the other laptop was turned off....I'll turn the other laptop on now for a few hours...if still nothing happens, then we know for sure that it's not a laptop-laptop problem, or a router-router problem.
Will post in a few hours..

update #1

Both computers are running for 3 hours now without any disconnects. Both have the browser service disabled and mine is idle in safe mode/networking.

update #2

Was running both computers (mine in safe mode) for 2 hours now with no problems. I turned on the browser server on the other laptop, I can turn it on on mine - I'm guessing because of the safe mode...However, by now it should disconnect but it didn't..soo....is it a issue with one of my programs? =/ or a driver maybe? was having some problems with connectivity when i first installed win7...so hard to find the driver for my atheros net adapter in the laptop...but then I updated the firmware on the ruter and everything somehow started to work (I found somewhere that there's know issues with my tipe of net adapter and this asus router and that helped....kinda...).

update #3

The comp is running in normal windows for 2-3 hours now already with no problems. I turned off winfirewall and spydoctor(however, the antivirus seems that is still running...just the "intelliguard" thingie is turn off-able). I closed any processes that I thought were unecessary and all that I knew are connected to the net somehow. My computer browser service was disabled untill now, her's was enabled. I enabled mine now. We'll see if this was causing the issue, if not, i'll start running programs one by one...

update #4

Everything ran normally untill now. I'm turning on one program at a time and waiting a few hours. I've turned Bitcomet on now. Next is spydoctor in a couple of hours.

update #5

Bingo! think i found it! after i turned spydoctor on, the problem reocurred after a while....before spydoctor, everything else (bitcomet, online games, msn, browsers,...) except winfirewall was running normally. I turned spydoctor off now and turned winfirewall and windefender on. We'll see if the problem reoccurs.

Last edited:
So here's a fun fact....my gf's laptop is experiencing the same errors...she didn't have any disconnections untill today even though I haven't changed any settings on her comp (however, the errors in the event log were appearing long before today's first net failure)...
I turned winfirewall back on while having spydoctor on and not a while later the net failed. So i disabled spydoctor but after a while it failed again....i'm out of ideas....is it a router issue then? because everytime the net fails and I reboot the comp, it takes me quite a while to get the connection going again (he can't identify the router untill i run diagnostics, which always restarts the net adapter, or if even that doesn't fix it, then it says that i have to check my router or broadband modem for errors, then i just restart the router and it connects again....).
So that said I pluged asus out and switched it with Linksys 100mbits router....i'll turn all the programs back on and we'll see what'll happen....

Update;

not even an hour passed, the net already died...
My connection is showing the yellow ! again and the net's not responding...not even while i switched routers....i really don't know what more to do here...
Please help ;(

Last edited:
Back