Windows 7 No sound on computer, coming through headphones though. Absolutely stumped!

matt6590

Hi Gang,

I have no sound coming out of my computers speakers. Though if I plug in headphones, I can hear sound. I have been trying to work this out all afternoon. If anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it!

Cheers,
Matt

You don't mention what type of computer you have, but I once had a Dell laptop which behaved the same way. Its problem was the sound circuit was broken after the audio plug, so it never got to the speakers. Depending on your system, it might be just your speakers.

If you right click the speaker icon, and look at the Playback devices, when you are playing sound, do you see anything on the level meters for the speakers if the headset is not plugged in?

Any special controls on the speakers, such as a function key assigned to mute or control volume, or some other type of power or volume control?

Hey Saltgrass,

Thank you for the reply and yes I guess mentioning the type of computer should be first and foremost. Its a PC, running windows XP.
When the headset is not plugged in, I tend to see the level meters raising up and I have taken the headphone plug and put it into the back of the computer and I can hear sound. I also double checked that all plugs are in properly, definitely not muted....

Cheers,
Matt

If you get sound through the back port, you should be able to plug the speakers in and also get sound, unless the speakers are having a problem.. If they show as the Default device, they should work unless there is some problem with them.

Are you plugging the speakers and headphone into the same port? There may be some setting, depending on your configuration where the speakers could be muted by design, i.e. mute them with a communications headset plugged in.

Have you tried the speakers in another device?

If you are really running XP, are you using some type of add-in card, or the onboard sound?

I have tried plugging the speaker jack into two laptops, on both occasions the music was playing and as I stuck in the jack the music ceased.
It all started when I moved the table in my study, I didn't disconnect the speakers though at all. I'm absolutely baffled.
Maybe i'll just buy new speakers...

Most probably you cut off the wires = disconnected them = pulled them off. It could be healed by some solder? Not necessarily are the speakers off duty?

I've burned a few motherboards by silly acting. :eek:

It does sound like something could have been damaged physically. Checking the wires and connectors as Pauli mentions may allow you to find the problem and might even be a simple fix.

I noticed that you said this issue happened after moving the computer table to another room. You can always do the jack in the speakers wire while some music is turned on as that way when it will catch the sound, it will shows there. You try to plug in the wire of the speaker slowly turning it while music turned on. I hope you will get the sound fixed soon and try it and hope it will get fixed soon .

I noticed that you said this issue happened after moving the computer table to another room. You can always do the jack in the speakers wire while some music is turned on as that way when it will catch the sound, it will shows there. You try to plug in the wire of the speaker slowly turning it while music turned on. I hope you will get the sound fixed soon and try it and hope it will get fixed soon .

Thank you, I tried with all the plugs still no change

It does sound like something could have been damaged physically. Checking the wires and connectors as Pauli mentions may allow you to find the problem and might even be a simple fix.

Thank you Saltgrass, opened up the harddrive and made sure everything was in tight. Even took out the sound card and put it back in.

Thank you, I tried with all the plugs still no change
Now i think that the speakers are the issue no way to hear through headphone if the sound card was damaged. Your speaker should be replaced then and no more sound issue will be out there.If sound card was damaged, you would never hear anything through speaker or headphone.

Now i think that the speakers are the issue no way to hear through headphone if the sound card was damaged. Your speaker should be replaced then and no more sound issue will be out there.If sound card was damaged, you would never hear anything through speaker or headphone.

Thanks pal, I think that's the option, cheers.

Thanks pal, I think that's the option, cheers.
You are welcome and just try to pick if it is a Desktop a guarantee speakers as can always go back to the shop where you bought it if ever messed up in the period of guarantee and wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom