Windows 7 Win7 cannot open programs

Grorbabrag

Hi, my first pos, although a sad one...:(

My HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook has stopped working.

Specs:
System Board ID: 3036
Processor Type: AMD Turion x2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75
Processor Speed: 2200 MHz
Total Memory: 4096 MB
Bios Version: F. 17

Problem:
About 2 days ago, I caught myself a trojan downloader (sshnas.dll) ... I removed it through Windows Defender, on the next start-up, i got the error sshnas.dll can not be found. After that my PC worked fine except the start-up message, then after a trip in the airplane (idk, if this caused it), it took longer for the OS to start and when I had logged on, Windows Explorer kept hanging, I lett it stay for a while and Windows worked fine, i could operate the Task Bar and everything, but when I tried to start Warhammer Online it would not start. I tried other programs as well and none would start. Up on opening the control pannel, the computer restarted for no reason and I got the error Bios not found. I restarted it manually and the BIOS worked fine again. In safemode i can start the programs and everything.

Please, help me as fast as possible.

Gror

*EDIT* It could be that my Atheros AR9285 WiFi Adapter is causing the problems, when I start my PC in "SafeMode with Networking" I expierince these problems, my problem then would be, how do I update my driver when I cannot install it in Normal mode and Windows Installer is not avalible in safemode.

Last edited:
Seems like you may still have some nasties in your computer.
Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
http://download.cnet.com/3001-8022_...f37fb08ca675eba9ff85410586f9&part=dl-10804572
Do a quick scan and remove and threats the scan finds.
____

If that doesn't help, you can download the driver in safe mode, and install it in Normal Windows mode.
Here's the download page, your model is 3rd up from the bottom.
Download the Vista x32/64 driver (depending on whether your computer is 32 or 64-bit
http://www.atheros.cz/

Last edited:
The scan found some more nasties, but did sadly not remove my problem. The driver update worked fine, but it said that the drivers already was the newest. Until now I have not managed to remove my problem and system restore encouinters an error, for some reason. Would it help with Hijak this(sorry for wrong spelling) report?

I would perform a "clean" install and start over. If you have one inflected file you can bet there are more.

Mitchell, will post a report tomorrow. :)
Reghakr, atm i am on vacation and I don't have the install disc with me, so I will try to fix it without a clean install.

Last edited:
Is it only .exe's that will not open. I can send you a vbsciprt take care of that problem.

But that verifies you still have part of the virus on your system.

This is insidious and sounds like the problem that caused me to suggest reformating the drive and do a clean upgrade from XP to Windows 7 to my son. We couldn't run any exe. It is difficult to communicate how helpless we were because EVERYTHING is an exe and basically, the computer was useless. No safemode booting for us either. The taskmanager was locked by the administrator. Our account was an admin account. This made me think that poledit had been used to lock out all programs but we couldn't use mmc.exe. I was able to use explorer (why this as its an exe i don't know) and I could delete files, but there where no files to delete and I couldn't find suggestions through google. My problem seemed to be related to Antivirus 2010 the rogueware that demands a credit card to clean your computer and doesn't.

So that is when I gave him the Windows 7 disk.

Yes a "clean insatll is your best bet.

Please gid rid of Norton:
Then the Norton Removal Tool:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

This is insidious and sounds like the problem that caused me to suggest reformating the drive and do a clean upgrade from XP to Windows 7 to my son. We couldn't run any exe. It is difficult to communicate how helpless we were because EVERYTHING is an exe and basically, the computer was useless. No safemode booting for us either. The taskmanager was locked by the administrator. Our account was an admin account. This made me think that poledit had been used to lock out all programs but we couldn't use mmc.exe. I was able to use explorer (why this as its an exe i don't know) and I could delete files, but there where no files to delete and I couldn't find suggestions through google. My problem seemed to be related to Antivirus 2010 the rogueware that demands a credit card to clean your computer and doesn't.

So that is when I gave him the Windows 7 disk.

I did an Upgrade from Vista to Win7, because the clean install did for some reason not work for me.

Reghakr, what shall I do with the Norton remover?

Btw, could anyone please send me the link for Hijack This?

Last edited:
Sorry I assimed was Norton

What is the brand name?

I use Avira Antivir Personal (Free). Here is the Hijack This file, ran it in Safe Mode if it makes any difference.
When I try CTRL + ALT +DEL I get a process error, so I assume that I might be missing some of my normal Windows Files. Is there a way to check if I have all of the Windows files?

Code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:01:25, on 27.12.2009
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!
Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_de&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_de&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_de&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = 
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer for HP TouchSmart] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TSMAgent] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\TSMAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam" update "Software\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDIRShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDAgent] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [cbssreg] C:\Windows\TEMP\tvph.tmp\svchost.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [cbssreg] C:\Windows\TEMP\tvph.tmp\svchost.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Web Printing ein- oder ausblenden - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix: 
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_x86_neutral_d591ccb98d9cea4b\aestsrv.exe
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - AMD - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour-Dienst (Bonjour Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Hewlett-Packard Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe
O23 - Service: iPod-Dienst (iPod Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_x86_neutral_d591ccb98d9cea4b\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: TV Background Capture Service (TVBCS) (TVCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\TV\Kernel\TV\TVCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TV Task Scheduler (TVTS) (TVSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\TV\Kernel\TV\TVSched.exe

--
End of file - 8345 bytes

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot poll.

Most all can be disabled.

What do you mean by "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot poll." ?

And what can be disabled?

You cannot go XP > W7 except by clean install!

To the other fellow who caught the worm & Anti Virus 2010...
If Defender doesn't get it Malwarebytes should. I have removed the same nasty piece of garbage from several clients' machines w/ Malwarebytes. You can run HiJackThis but, likely will only tell us what we already know. There are 2 issues... (1) seems to still be on the HDD & (2) if it's gone far enough relying on 'removal' isn't good enough... the only way to be sure is wipe & reload. Sorry but, if Malwaebytes (& Defender are doing it, it's too late... only choice (now) is rebuild.

That's precisely the point... if there are (now) broken, corrupt, damaged or missing files the only way to deal w/ that is redo the OS. And the only real way to be sure it's clean & health (again).

Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

To whom is this post meant?

All these can be disanled:
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer for HP TouchSmart] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TSMAgent] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\TSMAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam" update "Software\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDIRShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDAgent] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe"
=========================================================

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [cbssreg] C:\Windows\TEMP\tvph.tmp\svchost.exe (User 'SYSTEM') (malware)
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [cbssreg] C:\Windows\TEMP\tvph.tmp\svchost.exe (User 'Default user') (malware)

Items in temp directory are spyware/malware

================================================================

All these can ve set to manual

O23 - Service: Bonjour-Dienst (Bonjour Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Hewlett-Packard Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe
O23 - Service: iPod-Dienst (iPod Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt.inf_x86_neutral_d591ccb98d9cea4b\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: TV Background Capture Service (TVBCS) (TVCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\TV\Kernel\TV\TVCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TV Task Scheduler (TVTS) (TVSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Media\TV\Kernel\TV\TVSched.exe

What a mess, I wouold perporm a 'ckean"install. You'l never get rid of all that manually or with various spyware/malware deteccters.

Back
Top Bottom