Windows 7 Windows 7 different freezes(lag)

mranderson

I installed windows 7 about a month or two ago. I notice this issue but it was not often and depended on the day. Now it is everyday. When I try to click on an icon, any icon, I have to click it 2-4 times before it registers. I thought it was a game which is known to have latency problems, but it does it before and after even going into the game. I pull up the favs in ie and have to click those twice to go to website. An icon on the desktop will not highlight w/o clicking several times. I have checked the logs and there are some issues with the nvidia SATA controller. But these are not as often as the problems are all the time. When in the game, the keybord buttons work as normal but sometime they do weird stuff too, the toon moves the wrong way.

I have an older Asus MB P5N32SLI-plus, IntelQ6600, BFG 8800gt, 6 gig super talent but i think i have 2 gig one latency and 4 gig diff not sure, hitachi 250gb sata drives.

I let windows install all drivers and update them. There seems to be no conflicts in the device manager. I don't remeber the PC doing this in Vista. Should I use the drivers from the specific manufacturer instead of Windows or better to let it do its thing? Is it the memory freaking out or the sata controller or maybe the video driver. I am thinking one of those but how do I narrow down?

Thanks for any help!

Clean Install

It is an upgrade copy but I always do a clean install and format the harddrive. Then if it asks for an older copy I just put the CD/DVD in for it to see.

Thanks! Any other ideas??

Reinstall drivers: first uninstall your current drivers and then install the latest 7 compatible that you download from your hardware manufacturers'.

Especially for the NVIDIA card and for the SATA controller. Sound driver too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If nothing really helps and the upgrade is the only option for you, then try upgrading this way:

1. Format the partition and do a clean install of Vista

2. Activate Vista

3. Do not install any drivers or software now !

4. Run the upgrade DVD and follow ALL the instructions, including the updates it offers

5. When done, get system updates

6. Download and install latest 7 compatible drivers

7. Install software

OK here is latest find!

i was looking in the device manager and there never was anything before. Now for some reason it shut off the hp printer but it is under multifunction adapters. I selected to show hidden and the hp is under printers, imaging device and multifunction adapter with only the multifunction one being disabled all others say working fine. Could it be a conflict with printer? I have downloaded the latest of everything for it but I installed it with usb to my PC and connected it to my router for the kids to print to it without my PC on. Not sure if that is when the device manager changed as I do not look at it often enough. Is it better to go all wireless when you have this scenario or what? This is first time like this.

Thanks again!

I installed windows 7 about a month or two ago. I notice this issue but it was not often and depended on the day. Now it is everyday. When I try to click on an icon, any icon, I have to click it 2-4 times before it registers. I thought it was a game which is known to have latency problems, but it does it before and after even going into the game. I pull up the favs in ie and have to click those twice to go to website. An icon on the desktop will not highlight w/o clicking several times. I have checked the logs and there are some issues with the nvidia SATA controller. But these are not as often as the problems are all the time. When in the game, the keybord buttons work as normal but sometime they do weird stuff too, the toon moves the wrong way.

I have an older Asus MB P5N32SLI-plus, IntelQ6600, BFG 8800gt, 6 gig super talent but i think i have 2 gig one latency and 4 gig diff not sure, hitachi 250gb sata drives.

I let windows install all drivers and update them. There seems to be no conflicts in the device manager. I don't remeber the PC doing this in Vista. Should I use the drivers from the specific manufacturer instead of Windows or better to let it do its thing? Is it the memory freaking out or the sata controller or maybe the video driver. I am thinking one of those but how do I narrow down?

Thanks for any help!
All of the advice that Cybercore has given you is good sound advice. As he said the hardware device manufacturer should always be your first resource for driver updates.
I just wanted to add that I recently experienced similar behavior and it was all due to my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, which I subsequently abandoned and went back to wired devices. Since the title says freezes(lag) then I would suspect that the problem may be more than what you described as having to click multiple times on a short cut or a favorite link and sometimes the keyboard acting a bit strange, but if this is the only evidence of a problem maybe looking into the actual device that's exibiting the problem might be in order. Of course if the computer is actually hanging and becomes unresponsive then your problem is probably something deeper, I just wanted to share this because of similar problems that I have had personally. You haven't mentioned anything like what you have had to do to recover from these problems like a hard reset or anything so I was just wondering.

wow

A guy at work said the same thing. I never thought it could be the wireless mouse and keyboard because it never seemed to have that problem before (with XP or Vista) as I have had them for awhile. I will have to see if i can find wired ones and see if that corrects it. Is it the driver or maybe too many things at the same frequency maybe? I did take the 2 gig memory out that I added not too long ago and that did not matter. You think the wireless keyboard and wireless printer might be conflicting because of the device manager thing or just change the keyboard and mouse and see if that fixes it? Is this common with wireless keyboard and mouse? How do people fix it or do they just deal with it? I can't be the only one.

Thanks!

A guy at work said the same thing. I never thought it could be the wireless mouse and keyboard because it never seemed to have that problem before (with XP or Vista) as I have had them for awhile. I will have to see if i can find wired ones and see if that corrects it. Is it the driver or maybe too many things at the same frequency maybe? I did take the 2 gig memory out that I added not too long ago and that did not matter. You think the wireless keyboard and wireless printer might be conflicting because of the device manager thing or just change the keyboard and mouse and see if that fixes it? Is this common with wireless keyboard and mouse? How do people fix it or do they just deal with it? I can't be the only one.

Thanks!
It was just a shot in the dark, I didn't even know if you were using a wireless keyboard and or mouse. It really wasn't worth it to me to do any indepth trouble shooting, since I had several different keyboards and mice on hand so I just swapped them out and went on with my life. But you could be on to something since my wireless router was very close to the other transceiver and I've heard a lot of people even having trouble with multiple wireless keyboards and mice in the same office where their desks were pretty close together. So, while your mileage may very, I would start by picking up a couple cheap usb devices, take the added driver/software out of the equation and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom