Windows XP Wireless to LAN sharing difficulty

terrytibbs

Hello,

I have recently intalled wndows xp home on a dektop pc and need a temporary internet connection. I do not have a wireless network adapter so i require a phyical connection. I cannot connect pc and router via physical connection as the router is located within a lodgers room, and would be very inconvenient for them to install a cable.

However, my spare laptop does have a wireless connection to the router, so i would like to share this wireless connection with my desktop pc, via ethernet/LAN.

The problem is that the LAN or High-Speed Internet connection icon is missing on my destop pc. My guess is that there is a device driver (possibly the network card) missing/uninstalled or maybe the hardware itself is unistalled? Would it be necessary to access the required driver(s) online?

Also, if i manage to set up an ethernet connection to my desktop pc, is there a way of sharing my wirless network from my laptop?

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading
smile.gif

First of all you need to establish if there is a wired ethernet adapter installed in the pc. Can you see an ethernet socket? Have you looked in the device manager in control panel to see if one is listed? If so does it show as being ok or is there an exclamtion mark next to it indicating it is not properly installed?

First of all you need to establish if there is a wired ethernet adapter installed in the pc. Can you see an ethernet socket? Have you looked in the device manager in control panel to see if one is listed? If so does it show as being ok or is there an exclamtion mark next to it indicating it is not properly installed?

Hi patcooke,

Thanks for your swift reply!

After investigaing the status of my ethernet controller, after expanding its properties it says that its driver is missing.

Im using a Dell OptiPlex GX260. Im not sure where to locate the service tag, or whether i still have one as it is a very old second hand pc. However, under driver details there is an alphnumeric:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100E&SUBSYS_002E1028&REV_02\4&3B1CAF2B&0&60F0

I have visited the Dell website which offers a driver detection and installation service, but of course i cannot go online without the adapter..
I have found other sites that can automatically detect and install missing drivers onlne but again this obviously is not an option for me. I have also tried to search for the driver through 3rd party websites but to no avail. Do you know where i could find this driver in order to tranfer onto my pc?

Thanks again!

Easiest way would be for you to use another pc to connect to dell but if that is not an option for you if you post tell me what Windows version you are using I'll try and get it for you.

Back