Windows 8 BSOD Whilst gaming (ntoskrnl.exe+ 1509a0)

DGuru

My BSOD's started about 3 days ago, the first one was whilst I was gaming. After my pc started back up and I joined the game again, it kept crashing to desktop.
After a little while it started doing this in other games as well and now I just go in expecting I wont have to click quit game because a BSOD will do that for me.
At first I thought it had to do with drivers, I reinstalled some, updated others, but to no avail.
Now I suspect it might be a memory related issue, or my storage devices.
Any help to steer me in the right direction would be amazing.

thank you
Attached is the ZIP with all the files (W7F DT/CPUZ/RAMMON)

I just had another one, here's the dmp:
This time it was outside of a game, whilst skyping with video.
The driver causing it this time was Wdf01000+bd8a

Attachments

• 022615-11046-01.zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 349
Have noticed one thing, Your Memory voltage needs turning up to 1.6-1.65v If you could do that and test for me it'd be appreciated. Also you're overclocking your cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 so should put that to stock to see if the bsods go away.

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffe001e2289028, be200000, 5110a}

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the first dump file blamed your gpu driver and the second one you posted is caused by a hardware error.

Core Speed 4199.0 MHz

If your overclocking then please return to default values. Bugcheck 124 can be caused by failed hardware, overheating and not enough juice from the PSU (to name just a few).

Please check the RAM on your gpu by running this test:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Memory is def under-volted, Just checked the Corsair site and at 933 it should be set to 1.65v

Alright, I'll try to zero in which of them it is, and if the issues persist.
Thank you guys a lot, ill get back to you as soon as I know more.

Have noticed one thing, Your Memory voltage needs turning up to 1.6-1.65v If you could do that and test for me it'd be appreciated. Also you're overclocking your cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 so should put that to stock to see if the bsods go away.

Alright, so I set the memory voltage to 1.65v and I dailed back on the OC (it is still on 4ghz though, I'm gonna return to stock after this post.)
This time it was whilst the computer was idling, I saw it crash as I walked into my room. It's almost like it's self-aware and just wants to piss me off.
Please check the RAM on your gpu by running this test:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en
As to the RAM check, the site seems to be down, so any idea where I could obtain it? Google didn't seem to know.

I hope its not my PSU giving up.
If this doesn't work im going to connect my computer to a different socket, because the one that this one is plugged into has many other devices feeding from it.

EDIT:
I was looking for the minidump, but it's nowhere to be found, so this time I don't even have that...

EDIT 2:
I'm also downloading an older WHQL driver (Catalyst 14.4) to address that driver crash mentioned by kemical. I hope that changes something.

EDIT 3:
I'm back on stock clock on my CPU and RAM is running at 1.65v and my GPU is now running on CCC 14.4
So I've done the VMT tests, after dailing in the amount of ram I had and it kept giving me this error:
WARNING: Your card can be not compatible with this test! If multiple errors will found, try test with onscreen buffer usage or wthout of ignoring colors bit mask.
Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[2-3-2015 19:19:23] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
PATTERN NOT FOUND
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
PATTERN NOT FOUND
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
PATTERN NOT FOUND
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
NO PASS COMPLETED
I've tried different amounts of VRAM, since I thought I could've set more than my card has (3046mb) so I've tried that amount exacltly, well below and well above. All give me the same error, it is still running as I type this though. Update will follow.
Setting it on the default value however (1024), doesn't seem to be giving this error.
I should also say that the error happens within seconds of, if not the very second, I press the start button.

Last edited:
Hmm... That doesn't sound too good. Try running Furmark stress test and see if the card bsod's:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Also what PSU are you running? Make and model please.

Lastly are you sure the last crash was bsod? Check the event logs, if it wasn't an actual bsod then obviously no dump file.

Hmm... That doesn't sound too good. Try running Furmark stress test and see if the card bsod's:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Also what PSU are you running? Make and model please.

Lastly are you sure the last crash was bsod? Check the event logs, if it wasn't an actual bsod then obviously no dump file.

I'm using a Corsair AX850, so it's not too shabby, and I don't expect that thing to mess up so quickly since it almost cost as much as my CPU.
I'm positive it was a BSOD, I saw the BSOD screen with the blue blackground and the sad smiley etc.
Event Log:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 2-3-2015 18:31:38
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DGuru-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>3</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-02T17:31:38.687645100Z" />
<EventRecordID>47951</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DGuru-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I'm going to start a furmark bench in a second.

VMT has finished with the 1024mb setting, it's showing this:
WARNING: Your card can be not compatible with this test! If multiple errors will found, try test with onscreen buffer usage or wthout of ignoring colors bit mask.
[2-3-2015 19:22:50] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series)"...
TEST FAIL (Code: 887601C2)
NO PASS COMPLETED

Running Furmark now, update will follow soon.

UPDATE:
It's been running for about half an hour now, its at 98/99% load and is running at about 72 degrees celsius constantly. No crashes, no errors whatsoever. It is however only using about 600mb of my RAM, I'm going to go see if there's anyway to ramp that up

UPDATE 2:
Running at burn-in with post-fx at 1080p, will do so for about another half an hour.

FINAL UPDATE:
It's been running for about an hour now, full load, its at 75 degrees C. No crashes, completely stable.
So, I don't know what to do next, could it still be the GPU messing up or should I start looking elsewhere?

Last edited:
Well your PSU sounds fine but I'm a little concerned by the VMT results.

It seems for some reason (perhaps the current issue with Russia) the original link for VMT is down. Please run the test again but follow my instructions below.
Please download the version found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmst/?source=typ_redirect

Extract the contents of the zip file and then right click on the start up exe and then run as admin.

When the app starts you'll see a box appear regarding RAM size.
gpu.JPG

Your card has 2GB if I'm correct but even if it has more let the app run through at it's default setting (1024mb).

gpu1.JPG

It will also ask you if want to run in a lower resolution, make sure you click yes and let it run through..

Well your PSU sounds fine but I'm a little concerned by the VMT results.

It seems for some reason (perhaps the current issue with Russia) the original link for VMT is down. Please run the test again but follow my instructions below.
Please download the version found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmst/?source=typ_redirect

Extract the contents of the zip file and then right click on the start up exe and then run as admin.

When the app starts you'll see a box appear regarding RAM size.
View attachment 29357

Your card has 2GB if I'm correct but even if it has more let the app run through at it's default setting (1024mb).

View attachment 29358

It will also ask you if want to run in a lower resolution, make sure you click yes and let it run through..
So, I did it like you said, and here are the results:
[2-3-2015 23:19:26] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series)"...
[3-3-2015 00:03:30] Pass completed (0 errors found).
It seems like something is very vrong, no idea what though. Is the VRAM busted or what does this mean?
I've also run Prime95 on Blend Test for about 2 hours to check the RAM, no errors.

My R9 280x gets those not supported (code 80004001) errors too so I wouldn't worry about those too much. But the card as seen in your post passes with no errors.

So, I did it like you said, and here are the results:
[2-3-2015 23:19:26] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series)"...
[3-3-2015 00:03:30] Pass completed (0 errors found).
It seems like something is very vrong, no idea what though. Is the VRAM busted or what does this mean?
I've also run Prime95 on Blend Test for about 2 hours to check the RAM, no errors.

Ok that looks better. This is why I wanted you to run it again and to sum up I'd say your gpu is ok.

Try this, find command prompt right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

It may be the case that the blue screening has corrupted the os but if something is still amiss hopefully the next bsod will show it. Tell me, you haven't turned off or lowered your Pagefile below 200mb have you? If so this could be the reason why you didn't find a dump file as they won't be created if the above conditions aren't met.

Ok that looks better. This is why I wanted you to run it again and to sum up I'd say your gpu is ok.

Try this, find command prompt right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

It may be the case that the blue screening has corrupted the os but if something is still amiss hopefully the next bsod will show it. Tell me, you haven't turned off or lowered your Pagefile below 200mb have you? If so this could be the reason why you didn't find a dump file as they won't be created if the above conditions aren't met.
I ran the scan, it didn't find any "integrity violations".
As to the pagefile, I have 1024mb allocated to it
Pagefile.PNG
I guess Ill be waiting to see if another one happens. Thanks for the help, without you I wouldn't have know what to do. (I would have probably reinstalled Windows, which is a pain in the neck.)

EDIT:
HDD fragmentation can't cause these issues can it? I just found out one drive had 25% and another 20% fragmentation, neither of which is my OS drive, but do have programmes and games I run. My OS drive is an SSD btw.

Last edited:
HDD fragmentation can't cause these issues can it? I just found out one drive had 25% and another 20% fragmentation, neither of which is my OS drive, but do have programmes and games I run. My OS drive is an SSD btw.
I doubt it and besides normally such errors will produce something like a Bugcheck 24 NTFS error. You mention about using an SSD? Is this drive fully updated firmware wise and do you have Windows set to AHCI or IDE? When using SSD's to obtain the best performance your best setting the controllers to AHCI. This page will help:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/9...o-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/

I doubt it and besides normally such errors will produce something like a Bugcheck 24 NTFS error. You mention about using an SSD? Is this drive fully updated firmware wise and do you have Windows set to AHCI or IDE? When using SSD's to obtain the best performance your best setting the controllers to AHCI. This page will help:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/9...o-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/
Yes, I updated it recently (a few months ago). It's also been on AHCI mode since I built my pc.

Sounds good.. Ok well, if you should bsod please post and I'll check it over asap..

Back