Windows 7 Fix for "Unidentified Network" / No Internet Access

Death be unto my brain

So here I am posting via my itouch cuz BOTH of my computers can't connect to the Internet. I've tried the bonjour service disable but still nothing. I've tried putting in the DNS as 4.2.2.2 but nothing. I've tried changing out the network cables. I have no idea why I can't connect. I was connected just fine yesterday today no dice. I know that the internet works cuz my itouch and my wife's Mac OS X are connected right now. Oh great message board give me answers!

Sigh

Okay i have been sitting behind my computer all day. and thats not an over-exag. im in SA so its only like 8pm now..so its been like 10hour. My problem is the following
-Our old router broke so we bought a new one
-Everyone's Wireless and LAN works 100%
-I do not have Bounjor [iv checked 4times now]
-i'm running an asus
-im still on the rc [release 7100]
-This is the information it gives me on the Network and Sharing Center
Unidentified Network, Public Access, No network Access, local Area Connection.
i am NOT part of a homegroup..is this bad? is this good? Please help.
-Also a wierd thing is even when i UNPLUG my network cable the information Does Not Change?!?!?! It still says Unidentified Network no network access with the PC and a demonic evil triangle thingy :/ :/ :/
-I have tried a lot of the stuff that came up on this forums but nothing seemed to help... N o t h i n g.
-I'm really desperate as i need my pc to have internet access ergently.
-This is the first time i ever have problems with my computer
-How do i know that it is a software/hardware problem?
-Is it possible my network card stopped working?
-Is it the router/modems config?
oh yeah.. and ...
_-=PLEASE HELP ME!!!=-_

You really need to watch your drivers closely...new drivers FROM THE MANUFACTURER are the way to go...Marvell, for example just released a huge update that includes a tuning utility...good step in the right direction...If you don't have Bonjour running, and are still seeing "Unidentified Network" do you have VM Ware or Virtual Box installed? these will cause this....I basically disable those NICs when not in use, but this is not too necessary...Try to set your primary NIC to the top of the list by clicking "Advanced" under the adapter settings (may need to hit ALT once to show it) - your primary NIC used to go online should be at the top of all lists...A good work around for me was to SHUTDOWN - not reboot when the problem occurs...Win7 will recover the NIC from a shutdown for some reason (at least for me)

Now, go to the properties of this NIC and disable all mapping, and IPv6 too...these are a total waste for anyone who can ping a PC...also, you do NOT need to use a Homegroup..another waste of time...this WILL NOT fix your Internet, however...just on my soapbox is all...At any rate after months of stability this is my follow up post...I am STILL running x64 - build 7127 RC even tho I purchased the Pro version LOL....Mine works great, and all I can say is that your NIC vendor holds the key in their driver support....I am convinced. BTW I have 2 other Win7 retail PC's running with zero NIC issues and these are not exactly cutting edge...One is my P4 media center.

Finally - If it does not work, try getting a $15 Intel Pro 1000 from NewEgg or something...I may do this myself to get better transfer speeds, but that is a whole other story! :)

good luck!

Last edited:
My install of Windows RC had gotten buggy from my abuse, so I switched XP and my problems with internet got even worse. Then I installed Windows 7 Ultimate... and it works flawlessly. Granted I got a few new problems, but none of them are internet related.

Finally!

Similar prob losing connectivity..this worked for me.
Open Network and sharing; click Local area Network; click Properties; Click Configure; Click Power Management; Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.
Also Uncheck Internet protocol version 6 (ipv6) in properties...
After 12 very painful hours of cruising a lot of very unhelpful message boards and trying everything from killing Bonjour to resetting the stacks - it turns out all I really needed to do was unplug the power cord from the back of the machine for about 5 minutes and everything reset itself. :mad: I appreciate the tips and just wanted to put this very simple one out there. I had suffered a pretty long power outage, so I think it must have been related to that.

problem from "Live Mesh"

I have the "Live Mesh" service installed and continued getting unreliable internet access with my bridged connection for my Xbox 360. I started losing all internet when I enabled the bridge but stopping the Live mesh service has fixed it for me. Now back to my gaming in the hotel :D

Thanks for sharing.
Finally this totally fixed my problem with unidentified network, after searching all day long on the internet.
Actually It's not bonjour in my services list (##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##), but Apple Computer...I don't know why it show up in my services list since i never install any applications related to Apple or something..:mad:
Again, thank you very much!!

I solved this.. sorta

I as going crazy as I upgraded my main PC to 7 at my business and it worked great. I had previously upgraded my wife's PC and my laptop, both at home, and they also worked fine. When I took my PC home is when I had this problem start. At fiurst I figured it was too coincidental and but kept thinking it must be as the others were working, so somethign must have gone wrong so I tried every fix in the book to make it work including going as far as reinstalling the OS. It made no sense to me as my PC is the newest and yet for reasons still unknown to me, it just wouldn't work with the router at home that the other PC would play with. As soon as I gave up and out of crazy desperation moved my router from the biz to my home that all 3 worked fine there. I guess I could try and figure out why that router would work with two of the PCs and not my new machine but I just said the hell with it, and installed another spare router I had at work, and now everyone is online and happy.

Re: I solved this.. sorta

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I could contribute.

I had this exact problem on a machine I am building, your fix solved it (removing the Bonjour service). What is funny is that I never installed any Apple software on this box...none. Where did this come from? Maybe quicktime?

BAD BAD! Thanks for the fix. Saved me tons of time.

Brian.
Computer Repair and Service - Naples, FL | Paradise Computer Repair Naples, FL

Re: I solved this.. sorta

It was Adobe Creative Suite 3 that installed it on mine. And I changed the 'Services' setting to "Automatic (Delayed start)". I've never had a problem with it since.

Jules

I had the same symptoms as many of you .. Win 7 machine not able to see the internet / unidentified network etc. But the cause was a different one so I submit it below..

My free subscription to McAfee had run out and it was still in control of my firewall. This situation might have been compunded by my having Microsoft Security Essentials running too.

I could not pay McAfee .. cos there was no internet. So I deleted McAfee and the internet appeared instantly.

Microsoft Security Essentials covers all my security needs and is free.

Try this!!

P

I had the same symptoms as many of you .. Win 7 machine not able to see the internet / unidentified network etc. But the cause was a different one so I submit it below..

My free subscription to McAfee had run out and it was still in control of my firewall. This situation might have been compunded by my having Microsoft Security Essentials running too.

I could not pay McAfee .. cos there was no internet. So I deleted McAfee and the internet appeared instantly.

Microsoft Security Essentials covers all my security needs and is free.

Try this!!

P

I had to Join so I can agree with this post!!!!

I friend gave me their laptop to fix and I tried everything.

I uninstalled iTunes/Bonjour, I updated the NIC's drivers, Disabled ipV6, even manually entered the TCP/IP Settings and in the end, I cant believe it was McAfee Security center causing the problem.

It essentially shuts down all Network Access Wired & Wirless.

I wouldnt have thought to uninstall McAfee to fix the problem, but it worked.

Time to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi im having the same problem as everyone else in this thread, i got my new computer today and i cant get the network to work. I tried installing XP and Win 7, it doesnt work on either.

I have no bonjour or anything like that installed, im connected through a router with 2 other computers. The 2 other computers is just plug-n-play, same with my laptop but not with my new computer :( i have tried with the win7 drivers, the drivers disc that came with the computer and i also tried downloading the laters drivers from MSI's homepage. My network card is a intergrated Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

When i run ipconfig /all i get the following:

Host name: Pulimuli
Primary DNS suffix:
Node type: Hybrid
IP Routing enabled: No
WINS Proxy enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-specific DNS suffix
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE family controller
Physical adress: 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
Link-Local IPv6 adress: fe80::d040:3ceb:77d9:b0ecx13(preffered)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 adress: 169.254.176.236(preffered)
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway:
DHCPv6 IAID: 201326592
DHCPv6 Client IAID: 00-01-00-01-14-11-CC-51-00-00-00-00-00-00

DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1x1
same but 2x1
same but 3x1

NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap:

Media state: Media disconnected
Connection-specific dns suffix
description: Microsoft ISATAP adapter
Physical adress: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP enabled: No

Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media state: Media disconnected
Connection-specific dns suffix:
Description: Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical adress: 00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP enabled: No

anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

I've been trying to solve this for about six months now, with no luck. I do not have any of the offending services on my system.

So far, I've only been able to determine two things that seem relevant.

One, is that on fixed IP, the troubleshooter detects no problems (even though connection status is the same) while on DHCP, the system seems to be getting a garbage IP from the router, and the troubleshooter produces this:
Windows Network Diagnostics

Issues found
"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration . . . . . . Not fixed
. . Reset the "Local Area Connection" adapter . . . . . . Completed
. . Investigate router or broadband modem issues . . . . . . Completed

Detection details

Details about network adapter diagnosis:
Network adapter Local Area Connection driver information:
. . Description . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
. . Manufacturer . . . . . . : NVIDIA
. . Provider . . . . . . . : Microsoft
. . Version . . . . . . : 1.0.1.211
. . Inf File Name . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netnvm64.inf
. . Inf File Date . . . . . . . : Monday, July 13, 2009 8:37:30 PM
. . Section Name . . . . . . . : NVENET51.NDI
. . Hardware ID . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10de&dev_0269
. . Instance Status Flags . . . . . . . : 0x180200a
. . Device Manager Status Code . . . . . . : 0
. . IfType . . . . . . : 6
. . Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

Collection information
Computer Name: ALGALON
Windows Version: 6.1
Architecture: amd64
Time: Monday, November 15, 2010 2:18:38 AM

Also, doing an ipconfig /renew produces this:
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified.

Great! Worked for me. I have heard before about this crap Bonjour, but this is the first time that I have got the issue. Thank you Halcion1 fofr the tip.

Will you please help in this matter?
I do not know how to reach & disable the "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##".
Please help me with the procedur i will be happy if you send a mail to me on [email protected].
waitingn for your response.

Will you please help in this matter?
I do not know how to reach & disable the "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##".
Please help me with the procedur i will be happy if you send a mail to me on [email protected].
waitingn for your response.

surendragj:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
The string that you are referenceing is usually associated with mDNSresponder.exe and if installed should be found in the service console, so;
type services.msc into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
typically it will be located at or near the top if you have the services sorted by alpha order in the name column, otherwise you will need to scroll to find it.
Double click it and choose the stop button and then select disabled from the "Start Up Type" drop down.
That string is usually produced as a result of installing some Adobe apps like CS3 as well as some other assorted applications but the mDNSresponder.exe application can also be invoked by iTunes and other and is then ususally called "Bonjour" and can also be found in the services console but is name "Bonjour"
Hope this helps
Randy

Back