Windows 7 Windows 7 Re-Installation Problems

Peter H Williams

I have recently had Windows 7 re-installed (paid for). Got my desktop back on Saturday.

All seems fine - then windows installs loads of updates and things don't seem to be as expected.

1. I notice there are some drivers not installed - not sure how important this is. Drivers appear to be CDC Abstract Control Module (ACM), CDC ACM Data, BCM M21553 Thurderbird Searching. Just checked again on Device Manager and these are no longer listed but there appears something missing under Other Devices - then under that CoProcessor The PC is AMD Triple Core Processor - ACER and the 3 processors are listed separately and appear fine. No idea what to do if anything.

2. The network icon normally showing the network is available is currently showing with a RED cross but the network is available (I am creating this message online) - see attached screenshot.

3. I reinstalled Office and copied back all data files from my laptop but Excel Macros don't appear to work. I initially copied all data (20gb) via USB drive. Then I tried selected EXCEL worksheets via memory stick and eventually accessing via the Home Network. The programs work on the Laptop but not on the Desktop. (both are Windows 7 and both have same installation of Office installed during last few weeks / days). Yesterday I had somethings working but now nothing - i.e. click on a button and nothing - doesn't even appear to have been 'pressed'. I have VBA enabled in Trust Center / Macros

Just no idea what to to do at the moment.

I suspect some of the Microsoft updates are the cause of the problem but no idea how to indentify or resolve.

Any help or suggestions appreciated

Attachments

• Network_Access_Display.jpg
    Network_Access_Display.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 312
just tried the simplest of Excel operations - put a command button on a page.
Excel responds with Can Not Insert Object.
Can be seen in attachmend and shows in formulae bar that I was trying to add button.

Attachments

• Excel_Can_Not _Insert_Item.jpg
    Excel_Can_Not _Insert_Item.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 333
Thanks

I sort of thought that maybe the case but no idea what to look for and where
The PC is an ACER AX1301, 425 triple core
The screenshot doesn't give much away (to me anyway)

Attachments

• Device_Manager_01.jpg
    Device_Manager_01.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 353
Hi
Used the above website with SNID 93600301430 and gives me a list of drivers - one of which is CHIPSET. Should I download this one ?

Seems like a good place to start.
You may want to look at all the drivers listed and consider installing them, maybe one at a time or at least on an as needed basis.
Like for instance if you Video Card is showing up as a "Standard VGA" adapter.
Ideally you would want every item in device manager to reflect that hardware installed on your machine properly.

Many thanks - I understand and will try later.
Tuesday morning.
Loaded the obvious drivers.
The following didn't appear to include a setup.exe so didn't know what to do
TV Tuner_AverMedia_2.1.64.32_W7x64_A
this folder contains x86 and x64 and neither contain a setup,exe so again not used / installed.
WLN_Ralink(USB)_v.3.00.02.0000_WIN7x86x64
RESULTS......
Good News
There are no obvious errors / warnings in Device Manager (sreenshot attached)
The red x in the network ICON has gone
Bad News
Macros do not work in EXCEL - this is existing Macros and new spreadsheet will not allow me to put a button on a page

Attachments

• Device_Manager_02.jpg
    Device_Manager_02.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 342
You're going to have to flip the security switches within excel. I assume you reinstalled the office suite again. Depending on which version of excel you'll have to adjust certain security parameters to enable macros again.
Maybe if you let us know which version you are using we could help further. (2007, 2010, 2013, etc., etc.,).

Just tried a further un-install / reinstall and no apparent difference
I am using Office Home & Student 2007
I have the Trust Center / Active X and Macro settings same as my laptop (which works)

Please make sure that your office install / re-install has been updated with all outstanding windows updates for the program / suite

Hi,
I believe this is done.
I have auto updates running and have installed 12 Office updates including SP3
(32 Outlook updates & 206 Windows updates)
Just checked for updates and a further 30 installed .... still no macros in EXCEL

I spoke to early!
The first spreadsheet I opened worked just as expected. Very simple
The next spreadsheet is somewhat more ecomplex and I can see all the 'references' appear to have dissappeared.

The code is present but the Botton referring to that code has gone. The attached screenshot shows part of the problem. If I hit the button from the spreadsheet it passes to a new Button but with no code - so technically it works - i.e. does nothing.

I have now just tried retrieving a copy from my backups and appears to work - fingers crossed

Attachments

• Buttons_Missing.jpg
    Buttons_Missing.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 314
Back
Top Bottom