Windows 7 Windows will not load ot recover, no safe mode.

ToMang07

Windows will not load or recover, no safe mode.

Ok, so yesterday I tried to use the Win7 backup tool. I had a 200 gb hdd as a second drive that I usually keep copies of all my folders on. The backup utility said there was not enough space on that drive for a backup, so I formatted the drive.

At this point I decided to upgrade my bios using the ASUS tool that came with the motherboard. (Bios IS working.)

I went to restart after upgrading BIOS, and when it tries to load windows, the soon as it reaches the Windows screen it crashes, you see a quick "Blue screen of death" (I can't read it) and it goes to the windows boot menu. BUT it only gives you 2 options: Load Normally or Attempt to Repair. When I go into the attempt to repair, it says it cannot repair, and gives me this eror:

Problem Signature 01: 61.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 61.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: Unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21199969
Problem Signature 05: Auto Fail Over
Problem Signature 06: 7
Problem Signature 07: No Root Cause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I tried restoring system image, (2 different ones) tried memory scanns, every single option short of a complete re-install. I have YEARS of photos I really don't want to lose... plus lots of music and videos.

Minimally....how can I get those files off, or is there a way to repair it????

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I had downloaded software from download.com and accidentally installed and uninstalled a toolbar from there. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

System Specs: CPU-Z Validator 3.1
Running Avast Free AV.

Last edited:
Re: Windows will not load or recover, no safe mode.

Is there any possibility the original install was done using a SATA IDE controller and not AHCI? If you updated your bios, a setting may have been returned to default that changed the controller. Or possibly some onboard device was turned back on or some other setting.

Are you overclocking?

If saltgrass' ideas do not work, and you need to get the files off the disk is to try Ubuntu boot from a CD with out installing. This might give you a way to get your files.

Is there any possibility the original install was done using a SATA IDE controller and not AHCI? If you updated your bios, a setting may have been returned to default that changed the controller. Or possibly some onboard device was turned back on or some other setting.

Are you overclocking?

Yes, I had used the Auto-Overclock tool that came with my MBO, had no issues, it was very stable. Nothing crazy. I checked all the settings, and it was good as far as I could tell, it read the HDD but windows would just crash and flash the BSOD and go into recovery.

If saltgrass' ideas do not work, and you need to get the files off the disk is to try Ubuntu boot from a CD with out installing. This might give you a way to get your files.

I basically ended up doing this... I loaded my 2nd HDD with Ubuntu, then transferred all the files over. (~150GB) The files are still there right now, I am just about done re-loading windows. I searched the forums/web for HOURS and it seemed the only way to recover was Safe Mode, which wouldn't work for whatever reason. Sorry for being impatient, I just needed to get my computer back up and running, I was using a 7yo dinosaur in the meantime. Not fun.

I'll be loading Ubuntu in a few minutes and manually transfer the files back to the Win7 disc...if that doesn't work, I'll just leave them there until I can get a external USB HDD and just store/backup from there.

Back
Top Bottom