Windows 7 Fix for "Unidentified Network" / No Internet Access

OK, the Intel prowin32 executable failed to complete, quoting error 713 and referring to lack of finding the right items. I cannot find help on this error.

I noted that despite disabling via MSConfig several items including PC Suite, Bluetooth and Logitech (mouse no longer in use) these all returned, though others such defunct printer Epson did not return. I was minded to check that PC Suite was not the cause as it had been set as a network backup for contacts.

However, not only was this setting removed before the problems began, but also I see (when I returned to the forum and somehoe found myself in old pages) that I already tried removing PC Suite by unistallation to see if this fixed the lack of internet and it did not.

Next thing is to presumably uninstall bluetooth.

Have tried unnstalling btooth (no adaptor is physically prsent), but the tray icon for IVT Bluetooth just reappears on re-bbot - done this twice. Maybe I should find and run my old msicuu2 file? Have unistalled (again) PCSuite. Have also fiddled with network settings a bit aimlessly, but it's all still the same - other computers are all fine whilst this one only works in safe mode.

When I came on just now I have just spotted your question about routers and subnet masks. I do not fully understand how to "work" through forum replies in a logical manner. More to the point I do not understand a lot about routers and subnet masks. I did try to explain a fair bit abou having the multiple routers in a long post here a day or so ago.

To recap and elaborate: because the internet was critical to us I double provisoned its supply to our house and added an ADSL service to the existing canle service. Gave the wi-fi networks SSID's of 120120 and 120120o2 respectively. Had some wired PC's on one, other wired PC's on the other. The laptops had the password for both and would go on one Wi-Fi or the other depending on which was the stronger signal. Some parts of the old house with thick walls and the garden building would be struggling on the original cable service. Sometimes the automatic choice did not happen well and people would manually switch for good results. So that was about 4 years ago and all was well. I did notice but certainly did not mind rthat the default gateways were different - 192.168.1.254 and 10.0.0.1 - it kept things separate and working well. Of course some PC's or laptops could not see some others or some hard drives or media locations, as they were on the other network. So, as our household cable bills started to soar at the whim of the cable company they stopped being willing to keep themselves competitive and less than a year ago we left the service. But, still needed good reliable broadband over the house upstairs and downstairs and to the garden building. For a while I ran a physical newtwork cable up the stairs fronm the ADSL router to the upstairs router which had been fed by the cable modem. In other words, one network port from the downstairs router (192.168.1.254 O2 router generating also its wi-fi of 120120o2) was now plugged in to the internet supply port on the upstairs router (which is at 10.0.0.1 and also geerates 120120 wi-fi and had been connected to the cable modem until then). This was nearly a year ago and I do remember that there were / are other PC's plugged into the upstairs router and hd's for merdia and for backup, so there were / are also a couple of network switches involved and it became quite tricky for a few days working out the best way to concertina everything so that it all had internet and network access. A while later as the network cable running up the stairs became a domestic issue, I invested in about 4 mains networking adaptors. You supply one with the internet and get each of the others to pair up with it, so they generate an internet and network feed. One of these is for the audio / tv, one is by me in the evening, another is feeding the bedroom TV smart box with catch up but as you have guessed of course, one of these now feeds the former cable router. I did consider but had no info and found nothing relevant as to whether to try to put both routers on the same default gateway address and / or indeed whether to put them both on the same SSID and if so, whether with the same wi-fi password, so I left everything "separate" just as it had been. I did need to put a fresh switch into the upstairs network cabling and re-arrange the way the mains network feed arrived at the main upstairs PC, in order for both the network devices and the internet to feed that PC and the other one or two en route, but this was by an empirical following through of the leads and some head scratching and I do know that it all works brilliantly on everything, up and down, except this one PC here, which is indeed right by and plugged into the o2 source router.

I expect you will have a field day over the unorthodoxy of all this, for the more I learn, the more I see there are other things to be considered. However, it is also true that this PC was replaced in day long use nearly a year ago after a despeate 2 weeks of trouble shooting (including my discovery of the wonderful Windows 7 Forms) by a laptop, simply because of lack of internet. So that laptop usually sits infront of the PC's LCD and the PC is typically off, or sitting in Safe Mode where it cannot do much, but it has webmail and internet at least. And I plug the laptop into the router, just like the problem PC. Now, the laptop does have Wi-Fi recognising both wireless newroks, but I am now going to fetch that laptop which I've sat out of the way for now, switch off its wi-fi and plug it into the router and check for broadband internet, which I'd be amazed if it isn't coming through. So hang on a mo, please....

Yes, indeedee, both wi-fi netwrks and the wired network if wi-fi is switched off, all work. So the problem is completely specific to this PC. I did spot / remember on the laptop the iPhone network - one can tether a computer to the iPhone and receive "free" broadband, so when I sign off this post, I will try that in normal mode, it does not seem to be seen in safe mode, probably unsurprisingly.

So, I hope this all helps and I look forward to everything - possibly including a torrent of "you can't do that" - no, I hope not, really, I do hope we can crack this. I may btw have to be away for a few days workwise, will confirm soon if so.

Thx. RickyQ

Just to add - the iPhone as a supplier of broadband to this PC is not seen in safe or normal mode, usb or wi-fi. Other computers here use the iPhone OK and it was the iPhone's ability for that as an emergency last resort which gave me courage to abandon cable; I've just never before tried it on this PC. This PC does however see not only my own two broadcast networks, but also weakly my nearest 2 neighbours, in both normal and safe mode, though I have no permission or password to access them. It's a if this computer is sticking two fingers up at me, it absolutely determined NOT to do broadband in normal mode!!!

I will be receiving e-mails off and on for the next few days but probably be unable to reliably get back to try out any suggestions which I am lucky enough to receive until then.

Thx for everything.

rickyQ

Instead if adding more information, you may actually need to remove some information. It does make my head hurt to try to visualize your setup. :confused:

Have you tried disconnecting everything except your system?

What is the model of the ADSL modem and how does it go to the Old cable router upstars and what is its model number?

You have a wired and wireless connection to the ADSL modem, or wired to the ADSL modem and wireless to the Old Cable modem?

Are you using your computer to share a connection?

Edit: I may finally be starting to understand your setup. Not knowing what
Multi-homed was and such things a Border Gateway Protocol are puts me at a disadvantage, but I have found a PowerPoint presentation that explains it.

Last edited:
OK simple logic would seem to suggest that since this thing works perfectly fine in safe mode, but does not work at all in normal mode, that there is a program, process or service running that is causing the problem. I have looked over and compared your system information both normal and safe until my eyes crossed and didn't find anything that jumps out at me as a potential problem.
So if it was my computer the first think I would do is
click the start orb and type
msconfig
and hit enter
select the startup tab and de-select / uncheck everything
Click OK and reboot
Test my connection and see if that helped the problem.
If not I would go back in and select the Services tab
Check the box that says hide all microsoft services and then uncheck everything remaining
Click OK and reboot and test the connection and see if it works now.
Assuming that one or the other or a combination of both techniques help resolve the issue then I would use a process of elimination in turning back on (if I thought I need it) one or two at a time and rebooting after each to determine if it was impacting my connection issue.
Of course that's just me.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

I think I am going to stick with the Multi-homed setup situation. The explanation does talk about having a Default Gateway on only one of the two network adapters.

So, I will assume some protocols were installed to facilitate that process. Maybe disabling some of those would help. I also noticed you had 3 Intel Management drivers running, maybe they are involved.

And lastly, disconnecting one of the two provided services may seem like the system would just switch to the other one, in this case the ADSL. But you also terminated the cable service, so the ISP may no longer be supplying some of the services. Perhaps any cross communication between the two incoming services has stopped and thus caused you system to behave differently.

Of course, if Trouble has not chosen to address this, I may be completely off base.

Thank you. I will keep things as concise as possible ansd also answer the specific questions raised.
Using the config utility to switch off first all start up items, then all services except Microsoft, then to switch off both of these categories at the same time, finally to switch off all SU items and to switch off all services including all MS services. Each time re-booting and trying for internet connectivity. Persists in having no internet. For the final scenario above it's not possible to generate a system info file as the required MS elements to produce it are not running. However it is poss to produce an .nfo file with all SU items and all non-MS services switched off. This is attached, called clearstart.nfo.

I say that in "clearstart" there's no internet, but I do set my open windows to persist after a start and as I closed down whilst viewing the Network and Sharing Centre, this window was open to be seen as the machine re-booted. For about 2 seconds the internet was connected, the network was Home, named as 120120 and was working - I almost loaded an entire internet page. Then as always the network became unidentified public and failed.

Oddly, the basic network information always showing that at the internet end of things the internet is there, it is the network that is unidentified and cannot make the internet available for use, yet the internet is known and seen, it is not, for example, a question mark, it is an internet world globe symbol.

The connection to a working internet connection can be provoked in normal mode by disabling and re-enabling the wired network adaptor or by making changes to the adptor to stop and then re-start it. But it only lasts about 1 minute at most.

I have noticed that during these brief connections and again here now, with a stable connection in Safe Mode, the network connections are 120120, which is not 120120o2, despite the machine being plugged into the 120120o2 router. The laptop, when placed here during the last post (or so) and working in normal mode, shows the connection as 120120o2.

Here in Safe Mode whilst on the internet on the problem tower I cannot map the NIC or the W/L or the W/L connection 2, as the mapping wizard says the adaptor is not present or working. Drilling in via a different route, the Local Area Connection Status is all present and correct. Going further in, the Network connection details show the IP of the adaptor as 192.168.1.97 and the IP V.4 default gateway as 192.168.1.254 with both the DHCP and the DNS Servers on this same gateway address.

Answering your questions: The ADSL v.2 router here is o2 ISP supplied and branded as o2 Wireless Box Version II which is seen elsewhere as a Thomson TG585 V.7. Upstairs it is a Netgear WPN824 V.2. There is no internet connection sharing via the OS and no protocols were known to have been used to facilitate anything. The Cable broadband no longer feeds the house, nor a phone line, nor TV, but even if it did, nothing is connected to any former Cable supply lead, so all Cable services are gone. This problem did not coincide with that removal of services. The network is fed from one router to the other by mains networking, also known as a Home Plug or a powerline adaptor, made by ComTrend. "Mains" is what I call the domestic electricity supply, i.e. what heats up the kettle or lights the home, for example.

I don't know how much more info to give for fear of scrambling brains.. or eyes, yours or indeed mine!

I have quickly popped back and done these tests and posted in order to see if things might move forward, I will be back able to check for any posts and then be back again in probably 3 - 5 days, earlier if at all possible. Apart from anything I am fortunate to receive from the Forum, I think my main shift is now away from how the PC starts. I cannot fathom what happens in clearstart and in normal but not in safe mode, to prevent internet or conversely what does not happen in Safe, but does happen in the others, to thwart internet. It is counter-intuitive. So, I am heading more towards how the PC mis-interprets the network. I will wait for a time when I can switch off the upstairs router and see if this machine properly nestles into the o2 router and 120120o2 network off its own bat. Separately I think I will also give the NIC the same specific IP address I have seen it adopt and hope it maintains that during a normal boot and remains connect to the internet, usably. I must admit there is a slight feeling of deja vu - did I try this 9 months ago when previously trying to fix it, it might be in an old post deeper inside this thread. Anyway, it is quick to do.

Thx.

Attachments

• clearstart.zip
    500.7 KB · Views: 381
As Saltgrass is suggesting, any steps you can take to simplify your network into a single collision domain may help resolve your issues or at a minimum help make diagnosing the issue easier.
In the mean time can you provide IP addressing information regarding both condtions (safe mode with networking and normal boot)
When the network is working perfectly in safe mode with networking, open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\SafeIp.txt
and when the problem is present under a normal boot type
ipconfig /all > desktop\NormIp.txt
This should produce two text files on your desktop named SafeIP.txt and NormIp.txt respectively. Zip them up and attach them to your next post.
Thanks
Randy

I thought I would throw a little levity into the discussion by attaching a concept drawing. You should be able to amend it as you see fit and re-attach.

You chose to do a LAN to WAN Cascade connection, so the routers had to be on separate networks. If you would have used a LAN to LAN, they could have been on the same network with different IP addresses and the DHCP server turned off on the second one. Probably the same SSID also.

I realize you are using 4 network adapters of some sort to replace the 2 WAPs I show. This might be something you could pencil in.

Perhaps, on the network adapter not showing a default Gateway, you could use the IPv4 properties on that adapter and add a default gateway using the Advanced button.

Trouble, please correct whatever is incorrect....

Attachments

• RickyQ.gif
    RickyQ.gif
    12 KB · Views: 713
OK, I have set up on my desk your exact setup, or at least as close as I can come. I do have an Ethernet cable going from the primary router to the secondary with a LAN to WAN connection. Your connection is wireless, but you could always restore the physical connection for testing.

On this system the two networks are 192.168.1.1 as primary (your ADSL) and 192.168.2.1 as secondary. It probably should also be noted, I do not have a gateway (router/modem) as primary, just a cable modem and a wireless router. Anyway, here are the attachments. If you need more, let be know, but enjoy! ;)

Edit: Since I thought you might want to see the 10.0.0.1 address used, I have now included that picture.

Attachments

• Dual IPconfig.GIF
    Dual IPconfig.GIF
    22.6 KB · Views: 604
  • Dual Wired Map.GIF
    Dual Wired Map.GIF
    8.8 KB · Views: 529
  • Dual Wireless Map.GIF
    Dual Wireless Map.GIF
    10.8 KB · Views: 569
  • Dual IPconfig10.GIF
    Dual IPconfig10.GIF
    22.4 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Well, I think we all agree the lack of a Default Gateway is causing the loss of connectivity. The fact it happens on just your system and not the laptop seems to indicate it is your system, as Trouble has already speculated.

So, how can we pin down the problem? You could try connecting to the other router and see if you get assigned a Default Gateway, assuming DHCP is on for it. You do not need an internet connection for such a test and if necessary, you could even manually set your addresses to see if they would hold.

If something on your system is starting and you have not found it, there is a utility called Autoruns from SysInternals, a division of Microsoft, that gives more info about the boot than does Msconfig. You might as well download the entire suite since some other apps might be beneficial. Prior to unzipping, go to the properties, General Tab and Unblock.

Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources

During my testing, I have only been able to get the IPconfig readout to not show a Default Gateway once. I manually set the IP addresses and did not enter a Default Gateway. Then unchecked the "check for validity" box.

I found a registry entry that would seem to suggest it could keep a Gateway address from being discovered, but changing mine did not seem to make a difference. Anyway, the value should be 0. If you show another entry related to this, an entry may have been added.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters --
DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault

This thread has been very instructional for me--sorry your situation hasn't been corrected.

EDIT: I have been checking your .nfo files and if you wanted to try to stop these from starting up...
servicelayer.exe
ipssvc.exe
atchksrv.exe

Last edited:
Thank you Trouble and Thank you Saltgrass.

I will get back in a couple of days or so to check on things.

You have set me whole loads of separate and overlapping things to take a look at.
I will be busy, good effort much appreciated.

Drawing out the schematic (is there an easy program for this, otherwise I will literally draw by hand with a pencil and scan?) will be interesting and the IP addresses likewise.

I think there may be an absence of "mains" network adaptors on your side of the pond - the mains is the domestic electric supply. I see they are labelled "Powerline" if that means something (we use that word for high voltage cables on tall pylons accross the fields between towns, so they are definitely not for plugging into those!!!).
One of various manuals is at http://download.comtrend.com/PG9020%20BT%20QIG.pdf
I don't see these adaptors as wireless as they plug in, with the network continuing at the other end - a bit like a tunnel - and there is no networking setting such as SSID or IP to be done. So, of interest, but probably a red herring chasing up these adaptors, I think.

rickyQ

just in case, I think we have narrowed the problem down to the one computer. If you connect it to the other router and observe the same results, that will confirm.

But I was thinking about what might be altering your manual IP address settings, and since I am not a programmer, came up with the idea that maybe it is using the DHCP client to make any changes.

So, I suggest you STOP the DHCP client on that computer. Then set in manual IP addresses and see if it makes any difference.

Am finally back and so, armed with the many suggestions from you on the Forum, I have today been able to determine much, but not to solve it:

I first set Intel NIC IP4 properties to 192.168.1.222, mask 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway to 192.168.1.254. Despite unticking check for validity, was unable to proceed w/o DNS and alternate DNS servers filled in, had no idea what figures to try. Remembered that when I was with ntl cable for broadband I used to see 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 as the dafault something and alternate something when setting up e-mail and or router by hand, so I used these and got no setting error, settings held. Internet again showed at the end of the basic network map, the connection was briefly Home 120120, but before an internet page could fully load the network became unidentified unknown. The internet still is seen as always at the end of the network drawing, but it is not connected.

Stopping DHCP also requires (here) WebProxy be stopped and the address of PC becomes local 169.254.173. 39 wifi .31 lan. The basic network map no longer shows the disconnected Internet. Turned DHCP back on.

Servicelayer was already off, turning it on does not help.

atchksrv is not found (by eye or by Windows search from the Start menu)

so these 3 were reverted to as were.

Got an old Netgear DG834G V.5 out of an old bits box. Performed no check of existing log on credentials nor any set ups or connection to ADSL line. Obtained on the PC 192.168.0.2 with no default gateway, no internet obviously. Resumed the o2 (Thomson 585) router. [o2 e-mailed me yesterday to offer a free no strings N router for "loyalty" and will implement that AFTER this problem is resolved if received earlier.]

Registry key referred to is present and Value=0.

Performed ipconfig all in normal and safe and attaching those.

Drew out a basic Network sketch, showing the connections, possibly a bit simplified and definitely lacking some of the wi-fi devices.

Key: * is the problem PC

Points A and B on the network relate to an error in my memory now discovered. I mentioned getting a further switch and scratching my head for several hours. When the cable supply was present, points A & B were in effect swapped over, so all the upstairs internet connections came wired off the Netgear or its switch. This switch or the cable router was also fed the internet wired from the o2 router. When the cable supply was discontinued and also the wired feed from the o2 router was stopped, it didn't yield internet or network access properly until I see now how I re-wired it then, which has come to light in having to sketch it out. As you see it is all as described apart from the upstairs wired PC's / laptop pick up the internet and network en route (from the Mains Slave Network Adaptor #1) to the cable router. So, no PC or device is on 120120 unless it tunes in wireless, which all capable devices have been seen to be able to do and the one laptop(DHB Lap) almost always does.

I have downloaded & installed and viewed initial output from sysinternals - wow!, that could be useful, will look at further.

Need to discover what tilts the PC from its booting seeing internet into having gone further along the boot, no longer sees the internet.

But am also v interested in changing role of Netgear router into an extender or repeater (are these the same thing?) but haven't got that far yet and the instructions left me wondering on some settings.

Just to also mention - I've just realised I've left off the network media drive/s from the drawing, one of which after 3 years does not work - is no longer seen - and the other with all my valuable music has started knocking (physical failure thought imminent). I have backed up to a non-network location. I tried a competitive brand of network drive, hoping for more reliability and to transfer the network media, but that brand is now seen to use the same software engine but not to check for existence of existing mapped drives with the same drive letters as it wants, nor I think to check for previous similar software. So on the Leisure PC this installation resulted in an untidy snarl up with the new drive not being visible. I probably want a different way forward if it is this poorly designed. The old er pair are WD Worldbooks and the new one is a Seagate Go Flex. I have a brand new unopened Netgear Cable N300 WNR2200 router that I was going to pass to someone and set up for them next week. Any USB HD can be plugged into it and then seen on the network without further software. Now , that would be just brilliant here. So, hopefully that could also be set to range extend and to go in place of the existing Netgear, instead of at my friend's. A look through the online manual does not confirm any such capability yet, though. I'm not at the mo looking for any detailed troubleshooting on this, but just to mention that I may soon replace the cable router, esp if I have experienced setting up the current one to extend.

Thanks. rickyQ.

Attachments

• rickQ_network_20120203.pdf
    670 KB · Views: 444
Edit: I have found atchksrv.exe (atchksrv Intel(R) Active Management Technology System Status Service - Displays status of Intel(R) Active Management Technology Intel Corporation c:\program files\intel\amt\atchksrv.exe) in Autoruns, so will be able to turn that off too, to test.

Ok, just to make sure, you disabled the DHCP client on your computer by using the services.msc and stopping the service? I was thinking there was a possibility something was using it to change your settings. If stopping the service does not help after you disable and re-enable your Network Adapter, then restart the service.

See the attachments, but have you gone into your Network Adapter properties, IPv4 properties and entered a Gateway address using the Advanced button. You can see from the attachment that it will be entered in a greyed out state but will stick. Make sure you OK your way back out or the setting will be lost. The second attachment shows how it should look with Obtain IP automatically and an entry in the Gateway box on the IP Settings Tab.

If you need a DNS address, use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which seem to be the Google public addresses.

While you are in the Advanced IPv4 settings dialog, is there any information being displayed in any of the windows (other than shown) on the IP settings or DNS or WINS tabs?

And lastly, when you setup the DSL, did anyone add anything to your computer, such as software or some special utilities? If you cannot think of anything, did one of the Internet Service Providers set up a multi-provider system, and if so, could ask as to how to reconfigure your computer?

From your drawing, I can see why you are a little reluctant to disconnect any part of the system. :eek: As far as the wireless repeater goes, I have not set one up but the video seems to explain it. I do think I would start small and keep very detailed steps taken so you can back out if necessary.

Good Luck..

Attachments

• IPv4.GIF
    IPv4.GIF
    73.4 KB · Views: 622
  • IPv4_2.GIF
    IPv4_2.GIF
    35.9 KB · Views: 556
Yes, certainly, I did all that I understood, but not with the odd refinement - you've mentioned the couple of further steps. So, have now repeated it, not only adding adding the intended default gateway but also finding it persisting in the advanced settings, instead of just checking it had persisted in the standard settings. Also I have now disabled and re-enabled the network card (previously I had re-started the whole PC).

All of this however does not lead to persistent internet connectiovity. If I have also stopped the DHCP service via services, actioning these above default gateway settings actually re-enables DHCP, the internet works for about 5 secs, before the "network" changes from local 120120 to unidentified with no name and no connection. If I disable DHCP then the internet changes from a new description of "enabled" to the unidentified, the DHCP does not start and there is no even brief connection. So, no joy, yet.

Unless I disable DHCP, the home and then the inidentified connection persistently do - in the basic network map - always show the word internet and the internet world globe at the end of the connection. Without DHCP these are not there. But it suggests to me that the PC is perfectly clear that despite having an unidentified unusable connection, it does know the internet is there, it sees enough to be aware of the presence of the internet.

I will try extending my wi-fi into one coherent broadcast network. This will also presumably allow or require me to remove the name 120120 from anywhere else and call everything 120120o2. I bear in mind that 120120 is the pre-failure normal mode network name as well as the one working in safe mode), so this could upset the safe mode working...

And, I will look at the start up items per sysinternals.

Having studied the Netgear WPN824 documentation, this device can act as a range extender which seems to be also called a repeater, in wireless but not wired mode.

So, I could remove my successful mains network to the Netgear (whilst retaining the mains network adaptors everywhere else). Then, after obtaining basic info from the TG585 (I do not know the w/l Ch number in particular, but I have its MAC address and obviously the SSID and password) I could then set up the Netgear to pick up and re-broadast the same SSID.

However, everything already works happily both on the TG585 120120o2 wi-fi and on the Netgear 120120 wi-fi - I have just re-connected my iPhone to 120120 instead of the 120120o2 to be 100% sure at this precise moment. Other laptops and the TV's / internet music / Apple TV (another of the connected devices I left off the simple network sketch) all connect happily to either network. Even the problem PC connects wi-fi to either network, but it does not - unlike everything else - result in seeing the internet.

So, I have decided not to use the WPN824 as an Extender, but rather to keep it as a source of the alternate wi-fi, at least for now, instead to focus on the problem PC.

Using Sysinternals I have switched off a number of unused / unwanted items and re-booted. Unfortunately I am still not connecting to a visible internet, except in safe mode, on that machine.

The working week looms here and I will again be in a position to view and respond to posts from time to time but probably not with access to the machine / network until the weekend again.

Back
Top Bottom